Chinese visitors: you ain't seen nothing yet.

champers

An interesting article in todays Bangkok Post informed that only 5% of Chinese citizens hold a passport (in USA it is 40%).

This figure will continue to grow and grow for years to come offering up huge potential for tourist resorts and tourist related businesses. The growth in outbound tourism will be led by millenials, younger, wealthier and more independantly minded than those you might see on so called zero dollar tours.

Can Pattaya meet the challenges ahead?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, yengec said:

I dont think the percentage of passport holders will rise significantly. The reason is most of the Chinese people are financially poor.

I tend to disagree.

Chinese tourists spent 12% more on tourism abroad in 2016

2016 was another strong year for outbound tourism from China, the world’s leading outbound market. International tourism expenditure grew by US$ 11 billion to US$ 261 billion, an increase by 12% (in local currency). The number of outbound travellers rose 6% to 135 million in 2016. This growth consolidates China’s position as number one source market in the world since 2012, following a trend of double-digit growth in tourism expenditure every year since 2004.

With a 12% increase in spending, China continued to lead international outbound tourism, followed by the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom and France as top five spenders.

http://media.unwto.org/press-release/2017-04-12/chinese-tourists-spent-12-more-travelling-abroad-2016

5% of a population of 1.4 billion is 70,000,000 who have passports, twice the population of Canada. If that rises to 10% of the Chinese population with passports, you've got 140,000,000 tourists scrounging around for a place to go in the world. That's less than half the US population. Kind of frightening if that many tourists are unleashed. If it were the same percentage as the US, that's more than half a billion Chinese with passports who could potentially travel. Look out world.

On 1/30/2018 at 2:26 PM, champers said:

An interesting article in todays Bangkok Post informed that only 5% of Chinese citizens hold a passport (in USA it is 40%).

Probably 95% of those Chinese passport holders acquired them so they can travel. Meanwhile, probably only 5% of those US passport holders have ever used them to leave the country. Can't blame them in that regard as beyond the well-known tourist traps, there's loads of less-traveled and less-explored places for the home vacationer to check out... and they don't need to learn a foreign language or worry about forex rates either.

Tourism from China is in its infancy but like the 'hordes' of Russians that descended here before the ruble crashed, you can already see the more educated, more westernized and arguably more  enlightened Chinese tourist, be it back-packer or family vacationers. You know, the younger ones that know how to order a burger, speak quietly among themselves and put the tray away when they're finished versus the generally older, noisy, messy 'hordes' that spill out of buses to catch boats to the islands or see the nightly cabaret shows.

Then again the 5% passport holding numbers of China's population equates to around 70 million... roughly the same as the entire population of the UK, or Turkey or Thailand.

So yes, China outbound tourism is in its very, very early days.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Probably 95% of those Chinese passport holders acquired them so they can travel. Meanwhile, probably only 5% of those US passport holders have ever used them to leave the country. Can't blame them in that regard as beyond the well-known tourist traps, there's loads of less-traveled and less-explored places for the home vacationer to check out... and they don't need to learn a foreign language or worry about forex rates either.

Tourism from China is in its infancy but like the 'hordes' of Russians that descended here before the ruble crashed, you can already see the more educated, more westernized and arguably more  enlightened Chinese tourist, be it back-packer or family vacationers. You know, the younger ones that know how to order a burger, speak quietly among themselves and put the tray away when they're finished versus the generally older, noisy, messy 'hordes' that spill out of buses to catch boats to the islands or see the nightly cabaret shows.

Yes I have noticed more independent Chinese tourists especially girls. Funnily enough they like Pattaya because of all the western attractions including western food. Thousands also flock to major temples.

I tend to disagree.

Chinese tourists spent 12% more on tourism abroad in 2016
2016 was another strong year for outbound tourism from China, the world’s leading outbound market. International tourism expenditure grew by US$ 11 billion to US$ 261 billion, an increase by 12% (in local currency). The number of outbound travellers rose 6% to 135 million in 2016. This growth consolidates China’s position as number one source market in the world since 2012, following a trend of double-digit growth in tourism expenditure every year since 2004.

With a 12% increase in spending, China continued to lead international outbound tourism, followed by the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom and France as top five spenders.

http://media.unwto.org/press-release/2017-04-12/chinese-tourists-spent-12-more-travelling-abroad-2016

If the number of Chinese holding a passport rises by 1%, then that is approx 15 million people. Let's hope they all don't arrive at once.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, tchk said:

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

The Chinese destruction of S'ville is already well underway. Such evidence as frequent raids on Chinese call centres, arrests of Chinese without visas or work permits, forceful evictions by new Chinese owners of expats and locals from their  restaurants and guesthouses. Welcome to New China, which has bought Cambodia.  China wants to rule the world. Nobody escapes. 

5 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

The Chinese destruction of S'ville is already well underway. Such evidence as frequent raids on Chinese call centres, arrests of Chinese without visas or work permits, forceful evictions by new Chinese owners of expats and locals from their  restaurants and guesthouses. Welcome to New China, which has bought Cambodia.  China wants to rule the world. Nobody escapes. 

A touch on the paranoid side!

When I see some of the older Chinese visitors on low cost tours; people in their seventies; it can get you thinking what they have experienced during their lives: civil war, the emergence of Mao, great famine in the late 50's, cultural revolution in the 60's, the death of Mao, the Gang of Four. All this with China isolated and cut off from the rest of the world, subjected to incessant propaganda about the evils of Western countries.

Since the eighties the country has opened up more, but even then it must have seemed inconceivable that Chinese citizens could travel the world, buy property and run businesses abroad.

Millions more will come.

If one thinks it is overwhelming now , you ain't seen nothing.

With this, if someone was in the market for a condo investment I think now with anything in or near central, could do very well over the next 7 to 10 years. 

If anecdotes are anything to go by, I think bkk6060 is right. This increasing invasion is only the beginning. I've sat on Soi Yume for several mid-evening nights. The dominant nationality of bus loads of tourists are Chinese. I could barely believe it. I saw about 15-20 buses pass by in the space of a little over an hour. Also groups of 20 or more crossing Yume. That's just my little area. How many other areas are active with Chinese tour arrivals and departures? 

I'm thinking if I want some old-fashioned, easy-going, low-impact, uncrowded lifestyle, Pattaya will not be the place for it, now that I've been back in Thailand for a few weeks. And, no, Issan is not my cup of tea.  I'm actually considering moving back to Bangkok but in a more remote area.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2018 at 12:54 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

they are even displacing the locals by paying over the odds for property lots of discontent among the natives china is mopping up Cambodia

On 2/5/2018 at 12:16 PM, champers said:

When I see some of the older Chinese visitors on low cost tours; people in their seventies; it can get you thinking what they have experienced during their lives: civil war, the emergence of Mao, great famine in the late 50's, cultural revolution in the 60's, the death of Mao, the Gang of Four. All this with China isolated and cut off from the rest of the world, subjected to incessant propaganda about the evils of Western countries.

Since the eighties the country has opened up more, but even then it must have seemed inconceivable that Chinese citizens could travel the world, buy property and run businesses abroad.

And they bring all that lovely communist culture they've been born and bred into with them. Makes one hope Mao was still alive and the borders closed. Xi seems to be doing a fair effort to make that happen, though.

Archived