Chinese visitors: you ain't seen nothing yet.

champers

16 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

And they bring all that lovely communist culture they've been born and bred into with them. Makes one hope Mao was still alive and the borders closed. Xi seems to be doing a fair effort to make that happen, though.

It would be MAD to embark on a campaign to take over the world militarily, but China are making a fist of doing it by economic means.

Whether or not people like them, they are the main driver of tourism in most of S E Asia, Pattaya included.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/03/2018 at 6:32 AM, bkk6060 said:

Gee, so you only went to China to play on social media??

I don't think so, but maybe he wanted to check his Gmail now and then, or receive chat messages on his Line account or facebook messenger.

I have such a feeling that you use also use at least some of these services, but just want to be pedantic, or is it ignorant?

9 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I don't think so, but maybe he wanted to check his Gmail now and then, or receive chat messages on his Line account or facebook messenger.

I have such a feeling that you use also use at least some of these services, but just want to be pedantic, or is it ignorant?

Haha.  Fortunately and purposely I have none of those.  So, I can travel maturely and see the sites without having my face dig into my phone posting nonsense.

Too bad, I guess you could not survive in China without those toys.

Many interesting things to see.

On 2/4/2018 at 9:21 AM, yengec said:

I dont think the percentage of passport holders will rise significantly. The reason is most of the Chinese people are financially poor.

There is a lot of money floating around China now and people are getting richer by the day. Yes, a huge amount of the population probably don't have the financial means to travel abroad. However, we are talking about a country with 1.2 BILLION+ people living on their mainland. So, even if it goes up a few percent you are talking millions. 

On 2/4/2018 at 9:21 AM, yengec said:

I dont think the percentage of passport holders will rise significantly. The reason is most of the Chinese people are financially poor.

With a population the, size on China, a tiny percentage increase would represent tens of thousands more tourists

Interesting to see that people are still grossly underestimating China's economic clout... and this when Thailand is actually part of the next phase.

The EEC and the concomitant expansion of trade routes across neighbouring countries is not particularly for current Chinese trade, it is for a second massive economic boom that will hit Western China once they are able to export out westward. This will redouble Chinese trade and bring about a resulting increase in both mass and individual tourism.

Pathetically and Xenophobically, Thailand resisted a wave of self drive tourism that began a few years back...... this futile and I'll thought out measure will only exacerbate bad will for the future tidal wave of tourism in the nest 5 years or so

You ain't seen nothing yet.

On 2/3/2018 at 10:01 PM, hyku1147 said:

Fear not brethren!

2083d69882fd8520402c458e51414d53.png

maxresdefault.jpg

image001-(2).jpg

chinese-cheerleaders-got-the-moves-chaoyangparkpic.jpg

These are the kind of Chinese tourists Thailand needs. These are the kinds of tourists we want to see more of. Hallelujah. Praise be to the Lord. Life is good. 

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Pathetically and Xenophobically, Thailand resisted a wave of self drive tourism that began a few years back...... this futile and I'll thought out measure will only exacerbate bad will for the future tidal wave of tourism in the nest 5 years or so

That was SO pathetic and caused SO much damage to Chinese tourism to Thailand. Thais should start hiding under their beds now, except there's *pee under there.

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

That was SO pathetic and caused SO much damage to Chinese tourism to Thailand. Thais should start hiding under their beds now, except there's *pee under there.

If there is bad will towards the Chinese; on Faceache in particular; be assured they are mostly oblivious to it as China have their own, closely monitored online social networks.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

These are the kind of Chinese tourists Thailand needs. These are the kinds of tourists we want to see more of. Hallelujah. Praise be to the Lord. Life is good. 

But they are not mostly.

The non tour group ladies are younger and looking sharp.  See 2 or 3 together they like to stay at The Base.

But mostly, the Chinese females are fat, dough faced, no makeup with beatles haircuts wearing moo moo's yelling at their husbands.  Not a pretty site.

But, lets hope better times ahead.

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

But mostly, the Chinese females are fat, dough faced, no makeup with beatles haircuts wearing moo moo's yelling at their husbands.  Not a pretty site.

But, lets hope better times ahead.

The sort of women many come here to get away from.

Not easy to find attractive Chinese tourists in Pattaya , I have been observing the ones jumping off and on the buses , well , maybe 1 out of 1000 would qualify .   :whistling:

2 hours ago, balo said:

Not easy to find attractive Chinese tourists in Pattaya , I have been observing the ones jumping off and on the buses , well , maybe 1 out of 1000 would qualify .   :whistling:

So, it brings us back to the age old question. Why are such a relatively high percentage of women in Thailand so attractive? I can stand on a street corner in KL, Singapore, Taipei, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, and many other places, and it sometimes takes 10 minutes before I see a stunning gal. In Bangkok it takes 30 seconds. There are a few other spots, like New York or Hanoi, where it might take 2-5 minutes. What is up with that? Is it something they started putting in the water long ago? Is it the ethnic mix, from generations of traders coming to Thailand in previous centuries? What is it? Any thoughts or ideas on the subject? 

On 2/4/2018 at 11:29 AM, NanLaew said:

Then again the 5% passport holding numbers of China's population equates to around 70 million... roughly the same as the entire population of the UK, or Turkey or Thailand.

So yes, China outbound tourism is in its very, very early days.

Hope it stays there.

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

So, it brings us back to the age old question. Why are such a relatively high percentage of women in Thailand so attractive? I can stand on a street corner in KL, Singapore, Taipei, LA, San Francisco, Chicago, and many other places, and it sometimes takes 10 minutes before I see a stunning gal. In Bangkok it takes 30 seconds. There are a few other spots, like New York or Hanoi, where it might take 2-5 minutes. What is up with that? Is it something they started putting in the water long ago? Is it the ethnic mix, from generations of traders coming to Thailand in previous centuries? What is it? Any thoughts or ideas on the subject? 

I don't know what it is either. But a couple of months ago, I returned from six months in Vietnam. In the first half hour at Swampy, I saw more pretty girls than in an entire month in Vung Tau. A long-time friend based in Bangkok who travels the world -- about 120 countries so far, Arctic to Antarctic -- says no other country's women folk can touch Thailand's girls. It is astonishing.

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Anecdotal evidence is so unreliable, mainly due to small sample size.

It's like the Martian who came to Earth to survey the human population. His spaceship just happened

to touch down on the French Riviera. When he went back to Mars he reported his findings -- "Most of

the Earthling population has big buzooms, blonde hair and fair skin." 

China has lots of drop-dead, stunners, so does Vietnam and South Korean. Based on my 16 yrs in Japan,

I'd say Japan also has lots of stunners, but as a percentage the of the population, much less than China,
Vietnam and S. Korea.

But, of course this is all anecdotal -- thus your mileage may vary.

Just now, BradinAsia said:

Anecdotal evidence is so unreliable, mainly due to small sample size.

It's like the Martian who came to Earth to survey the human population. His spaceship just happened

to touch down on the French Riviera. When he went back to Mars he reported his findings -- "Most of

the Earthling population has big buzooms, blonde hair and fair skin." 

China has lots of drop-dead, stunners, so does Vietnam and South Korean. Based on my 16 yrs in Japan,

I'd say Japan also has lots of stunners, but as a percentage the of the population, much less than China,
Vietnam and S. Korea.

But, of course this is all anecdotal -- thus your mileage may vary.

OK, but who cares.

Every country has beautiful women but the discussion is about who is coming to Thailand.  More so Pattaya.

Only a few years back, China accounted for a mere smattering of tourists in Thailand.

Now they are the biggest single nationality...BY FAR .. they account for over 27% of all visitors way ahead of the traditional number one, Malaysia.

Notwithstanding some strong anti Chinese sentiment from the locals this number is likely to grow exponentially over the next few years.

The number of people with passports may be expressed as about 6% of the population, but that amounts to over 80 million people.

Other countries like Australia are preparing for a tourism bonanza.....it looks like Thailand with their inwardly focused, niggardly, petty restrictions and lack of infrastructure and planning will inevitably make a mess of things.....largely at the expense of other tourist nationalities and of course , inevitably poor old mother nautre and the environment.

14 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

it looks like Thailand with their inwardly focused, niggardly, petty restrictions and lack of infrastructure and planning will inevitably make a mess of things.....largely at the expense of other tourist nationalities and of course , inevitably poor old mother nautre and the environment.

Nice try, but the Chinese do not care about any of that.

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Nice try, but the Chinese do not care about any of that.

Firstly you miss my point "don't care about any of that" ... what do you mean?

Secondly there is evidence to suggest that the Chinese do care about their destinations; there was a dip in visits recently partly due to Thai criticism, but in China the zero dollar tours are getting a very bad reputation.

8 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Only a few years back, China accounted for a mere smattering of tourists in Thailand.

Now they are the biggest single nationality...BY FAR .. they account for over 27% of all visitors way ahead of the traditional number one, Malaysia.

Chinese just don't come from China alone.

There are many ethnic Chinese from Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Singapore who visit Thailand every year. These countries have a majority ethnic Chinese population. Regarding the traditional number one Malaysia, 25% of that population are actually ethnic Chinese and that's a lot.

All of them speak some form of Chinese dialect.

13 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Chinese just don't come from China alone.

There are many ethnic Chinese from Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Singapore who visit Thailand every year. These countries have a majority ethnic Chinese population. Regarding the traditional number one Malaysia, 25% of that population are actually ethnic Chinese and that's a lot.

All of them speak some form of Chinese dialect.

What a profoundly inaccurate and uninformative comment.

What on earth are you trying to say?

Just now, Airbagwill said:

What a profoundly uninformative comment.

What on earth are you trying to say?

I am saying that ethnic Chinese have been visiting Thailand since many decades ago from other places other than China.

So this influx of Chinese is nothing new except that the source of the tap water is bigger because they have a population of 1.4 billion.

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

I am saying that ethnic Chinese have been visiting Thailand since many decades ago from other places other than China.

So this influx of Chinese is nothing new except that the source of the tap water is bigger because they have a population of 1.4 billion.

Macau and Hong Kong are part of China. chinse population has alway been vast compared to other countries.......now they hae a bourgeoning middle class they are turning into tourists. - as I pointed out the numbers now are equal to the total number of tourist of all nations that visited 15 years ago.

If you look at the figures you can see how many Chinese have visited over the years - I've posted the figures.

If you are Chinese British from London, you will be registered as British which is what you are.

Archived