Chinese visitors: you ain't seen nothing yet.

champers

If the average Chinese tourist is changing from the 1 baht tourist to a more independent more educated Chinese tourist then that is a good sign.

Better 100 modern independent Chinese tourist then 1 noisy spitting tour group full of 1 baht tourist.

I never accept Chinese tour groups in my hotel but had several new modern Chinese tourist without any problems.

They know more from the world and how to behave accordingly.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some interesting figures to ponder in the BP today. The source is the Tourism and Sports Ministry:

65% of Chinese visitors are high income - over 1 million Baht p.a.

39% of Chinese visitors are part of a tour group, 61% come independantly.

1.1 million tourists visited Thailand in 2010, 8.8 million in 2016.

10 hours ago, merijn said:

If the average Chinese tourist is changing from the 1 baht tourist to a more independent more educated Chinese tourist then that is a good sign.

Better 100 modern independent Chinese tourist then 1 noisy spitting tour group full of 1 baht tourist.

I never accept Chinese tour groups in my hotel but had several new modern Chinese tourist without any problems.

They know more from the world and how to behave accordingly.

I've chatted with several groups of young, independent English-speaking Chinese travellers on the BKK-Pats bus over a couple of years. They are thoughtful, polite, well behaved, well dressed and some of them rather pretty. The tour groups, which I see every day, are rough and abrasive as if they had been released from the barnyard pen. Maybe that's why tour companies keep them in buses.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:20 PM, DrTuner said:

And they bring all that lovely communist culture they've been born and bred into with them. Makes one hope Mao was still alive and the borders closed. Xi seems to be doing a fair effort to make that happen, though.

Mao and Xi both Chinese emperors. The Chinese are not Communist by choice. They are capitalists. 

On 3/26/2018 at 11:08 AM, champers said:

Some interesting figures to ponder in the BP today. The source is the Tourism and Sports Ministry:

65% of Chinese visitors are high income - over 1 million Baht p.a.

So they consider +1 million baht tourists high income.

I guess I am super high income.

In 2003 the total number of tourists to Thailand was around 10 million.....now China alone accounts for nearly that number.

It seems this thread is full of Sinophobes those who still fear "yellow peril" or great Chinese hordes.

Face facts, Chua is now a major economic world powerof and it ain't going away.

Living with a massive dose of Sinophobia isn't gonna help you, you'll just get your knickers in a pointless twist.

2 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

In 2003 the total number of tourists to Thailand was around 10 million.....now China alone accounts for nearly that number.

It seems this thread is full of Sinophobes those who still fear "yellow peril" or great Chinese hordes.

Living with a massive dose of Sinophobia isn't gonna help you, you'll just get your knickers in a pointless twist.

Sinophobe, Schminophobe, pass the freakin' kung pao chicken, why don't ya?

33 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

If you are a Sinophobe, maybe any tourist destination in SE Asia is going to be off limits. I think, in time, there will be a greater acceptance of Chinese visitors here.

The anti Chinese sentiment from Thais seems to have diminished somewhat with the growing realisation that they bring money into the Thai economy. Many businesses now court them and are better off financially as a result.

10 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

15 million at the same time. All trying to check in to Pattaya.:smile:

This kind of comment makes me think that many expats are blissfully unaware of the scale and nature of development that the EEC is about to bring to the region.

6 hours ago, champers said:

If you are a Sinophobe, maybe any tourist destination in SE Asia is going to be off limits. I think, in time, there will be a greater acceptance of Chinese visitors here.

The anti Chinese sentiment from Thais seems to have diminished somewhat with the growing realisation that they bring money into the Thai economy. Many businesses now court them and are better off financially as a result.

As since the 19th century, about 30% of the Thai population can claim Chinese ancestry, I think the country has always been particularly receptive to Chinese business deals....it's only a few historical ideological quirks they have problems with.

On 2/4/2018 at 9:35 AM, isaanbanhou said:

I tend to disagree.

Chinese tourists spent 12% more on tourism abroad in 2016

2016 was another strong year for outbound tourism from China, the world’s leading outbound market. International tourism expenditure grew by US$ 11 billion to US$ 261 billion, an increase by 12% (in local currency). The number of outbound travellers rose 6% to 135 million in 2016. This growth consolidates China’s position as number one source market in the world since 2012, following a trend of double-digit growth in tourism expenditure every year since 2004.

With a 12% increase in spending, China continued to lead international outbound tourism, followed by the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom and France as top five spenders.

http://media.unwto.org/press-release/2017-04-12/chinese-tourists-spent-12-more-travelling-abroad-2016

It is still probable that the poster is correct that most Communist Chinese are in fact poor. Imagine a population of 1,415,045,928 (2018 number)

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That is the trend. But we're not there yet. They are helped by the epic own goal by the Americans.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

When Trump leaves office there will be at least three quarters of the century to go.

When Li goes in China is probably down to nature and he can pick his successor whilst he is at it. This makes it easier to predict future tourist trends from China; policy is constant and not subject to change by virtue of a pesky democratic process. The Communists love their 5 and 10 year plans.

On 3/24/2018 at 7:39 AM, Airbagwill said:

Firstly you miss my point "don't care about any of that" ... what do you mean?

Secondly there is evidence to suggest that the Chinese do care about their destinations; there was a dip in visits recently partly due to Thai criticism, but in China the zero dollar tours are getting a very bad reputation.

Have you been along Beach rd in the morning when the masses of Chinese  and Indian tours are lined up. Maybe some do care about destination but only a minority. Most of the Chinese and Indians on tour are oblivious to their surroundings. These low maintenance groups just by mass action are keeping about half the businesses in Pattaya above water. And since they are oblivious , city hall does not need to worry about these groups avoiding Pattaya because of traffic congestion, garbage everywhere, loads of  lowlife local males  everywhere, a sorry construction trailer mess of the South end of Beach promenade just above Walking st. , a never ending cycle of failed beach sand projects that make a mess of North end. the Bali High mess,  Absolutely no control of traffic / parking  regulations by these tour bus, minivan, taxi, moto taxi lowlfes everwhere you look. On the other end of spectrum you have the high end Chinese Cape Dara ( and other 5 stars) crowd. these folks are insulated from the sorry street scene. 

21 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Have you been along Beach rd in the morning when the masses of Chinese  and Indian tours are lined up. Maybe some do care about destination but only a minority. Most of the Chinese and Indians on tour are oblivious to their surroundings. These low maintenance groups just by mass action are keeping about half the businesses in Pattaya above water. And since they are oblivious , city hall does not need to worry about these groups avoiding Pattaya because of traffic congestion, garbage everywhere, loads of  lowlife local males  everywhere, a sorry construction trailer mess of the South end of Beach promenade just above Walking st. , a never ending cycle of failed beach sand projects that make a mess of North end. the Bali High mess,  Absolutely no control of traffic / parking  regulations by these tour bus, minivan, taxi, moto taxi lowlfes everwhere you look. On the other end of spectrum you have the high end Chinese Cape Dara ( and other 5 stars) crowd. these folks are insulated from the sorry street scene. 

If you think high end Chinese stay away from the street scene, you are wrong. They eat out, they visit bars (even girlie bars), they have massages and they shop till they drop.

1 hour ago, champers said:

If you think high end Chinese stay away from the street scene, you are wrong. They eat out, they visit bars (even girlie bars), they have massages and they shop till they drop.

Ok buts not conflate high end (Cape Dara ) with the Siam Siam crowd who are in greater numbers. Yes for above. This middle group while not really  oblivious dont seem to care about the shabby street scene and they dont seem to get near the beach. And why would they - they have Hainan . Oh in my above diatribe I forgot about all these stray dogs around here that should be  taken away. And of course the Chinese are not going to complain about the new normal smoggy Pattaya.

On 3/22/2018 at 9:55 AM, spidermike007 said:

These are the kind of Chinese tourists Thailand needs. These are the kinds of tourists we want to see more of. Hallelujah. Praise be to the Lord. Life is good. 

Dream on,unfortunately its only in dream mate...girls like this only stay at the hotel with her Thai man

On 4/10/2018 at 12:23 PM, champers said:

How did you know  ? Most rich chinese only say at the Yacht or in  Hua Hin, not Pattaya , Bkk . I just cant see the difference between Chinese tourist with Local Thais or Northern Thailand girls.My GF look like chinese, you just cant tell difference until they talk

Archived