BANGKOK 19 July 2019 17:12

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonathan Fairfield

Cash-strapped Foreign Office puts Bangkok embassy up for sale

Cash-strapped Foreign Office puts Bangkok embassy up for sale

g2.jpg

Image: Holger Bauer via Google Maps

Foreign Office hopes to raise £420m from building’s sale to reinvest in other projects

The scale of financial pressure on the British diplomatic service was underlined today when the Foreign Office announced it was raising £420m by selling its embassy in Bangkok.

The sale is the largest land deal in Thai history and the FCO’s biggest ever sale. The Foreign Office said the proceeds would be reinvested elsewhere in the overseas estate and would fund 30-40 modernisation projects around the world, including in Washington DC.

The Foreign Office has long complained that its budget is being cut to the bone at a time when the parallel budget of the Department for International Development is booming.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/31/cash-strapped-foreign-office-puts-bangkok-embassy-up-for-sale

-- The Guardian 2018-01-31

Given the quality of service offered, or should I say, not offered, by the Embassy, many wont miss it.

Queen Victoria will be turning on her plinth, as well as her grave, when she learns of this news. I guess the Embassy will be operating out of a 4 room condo unit in future, as everything is outsourced and austerity post-Brexit Little Britain bites to the bone of its past hope and glory mythology.  :shock1:

How about we all throw in a few bob and put an offer on the table?

I'll post the bank details latter. My suggesting of a investment vehicle, "Pretty Vacant Ltd", in recognition to the good work the Sex Pistols did in promoting the Queen.

15 minutes ago, plachon said:

Queen Victoria will be turning on her plinth, as well as her grave, when she learns of this news. I guess the Embassy will be operating out of a 4 room condo unit in future, as everything is outsourced and austerity post-Brexit Little Britain bites to the bone of its past hope and glory mythology.  :shock1:

A kiosk would do the job just as well, let's be honest. They hardly need a whole 4 rooms...

I believe the land was a gift to the British government and it's frowned upon to sell such gifts.

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I believe the land was a gift to the British government and it's frowned upon to sell such gifts.

It wasn't until 1922 that a new plot of land of about 12 acres (4.9 ha) in the Phloen Chit area was acquired from the Chinese businessman Nai Lert. The old compound was sold to the Siamese Government, which used it as the site of Bangkok's General Post Office, for about £110,000. This was enough to pay for both the land and the construction of new buildings (completed in 1926), as the new site was in a rural swampy area—a fact which made the move highly unpopular at the time. Queen Victoria's statue and the flagpole were relocated to the new site, and a war memorial was also erected in 1923. The minister's (now ambassador's) residence served as the compound's main building. Wikipedia.

But they do sound like cheap Charlies.

I think it has become a holiday home for career luvvies in the FCO, more interested in entertaining or being entertained than doing what the British people require them to do. 2 year stint and everyone moves to a new location at the tax payers expense.

Would not surprise me if the new Embassy is a shared one with Australia and New Zealand and how about locating it in Pattaya!

40 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Given the quality of service offered, or should I say, not offered, by the Embassy, many wont miss it.

Just about everything is done online these days therefore what are you on about?

I was a bit shocked going to the Italian Embassy, just an office in a tower block, UK will end up like that

55 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Indeed, seeing as most of the embassy function has been outsourced it's hard to understand what on earth they do all day!

1 minute ago, shady86 said:

Effect of Brexit.

No, just the realities of a threadbare country living beyond its means.