Cash-strapped Foreign Office puts Bangkok embassy up for sale

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, sungod said:

Insignificant in that its one of the worlds top 10 economies, permanent seat on the security council, World banking centre etc etc etc

If it's that great why is it having to sell a great location for a measly few million? That wouldn't even buy an aircraft carrier these days, and won't be enough put any planes on it if they actually had one that worked.

Short sighted stupidity by short sighted stupid people, IMO.

The sausage rolls were excellent. I had some when I accompanied the British Legion there for remembrance day a few years back. An impressive piece of real estate. Unfortunately no beer a nd in baking heat we made our way later to the River Kwai where we had to slake our thirsts.

It will be a growing world wide trend. Citizens demand a lot from embassies despite the majority of stuff ups are their own doing (riding motorbikes whilst pissed, taking drugged up ladyboys back to the room, selling the passport for 500 quid in the hope they get a free replacement)   . Plus they want free wifi and the military people and media crowd want secure comms etc. The British muslims probably want a prayer room as well.  You can't renovate these old buildings forever and they don;t have the civil service tea ladies and punkah wallahs anymore. So it makes sense to downsize and build up and sell the land.

17 minutes ago, CGW said:

It is sad to be outclassed by a 'developing country'? perhaps when Thailand reaches developed nation status it will sell off the piece of land it owns in Singapore where its embassy is, possibly the most valuable undeveloped piece of real estate in the world? or will they have more class?

Britain used to own Singapore lock stock and barrel, now it owns sod all anywhere. All given away by an incompetent ruling class. Have to wonder if all the ones with intelligence got killed off in two world wars. The rot certainly set in post WW2.

6 minutes ago, ronrat said:

The sausage rolls were excellent. I had some when I accompanied the British Legion there for remembrance day a few years back. An impressive piece of real estate. Unfortunately no beer a nd in baking heat we made our way later to the River Kwai where we had to slake our thirsts.

It will be a growing world wide trend. Citizens demand a lot from embassies despite the majority of stuff ups are their own doing (riding motorbikes whilst pissed, taking drugged up ladyboys back to the room, selling the passport for 500 quid in the hope they get a free replacement)   . Plus they want free wifi and the military people and media crowd want secure comms etc. The British muslims probably want a prayer room as well.  You can't renovate these old buildings forever and they don;t have the civil service tea ladies and punkah wallahs anymore. So it makes sense to downsize and build up and sell the land.

Gad, it's like the word "lease" is unknown to the British.

Rent a broom cupboard somewhere for the low level clerk that deals with citizens, and put the stuff that matters in a building at the back, then LEASE the land for commercial development. Is that so difficult?

I guess they won't be putting on the annual garden party any more. Pity, as I believe it was quite popular.

On 31/01/2018 at 5:49 PM, nong38 said:

I think it has become a holiday home for career luvvies in the FCO, more interested in entertaining or being entertained than doing what the British people require them to do. 2 year stint and everyone moves to a new location at the tax payers expense.

Would not surprise me if the new Embassy is a shared one with Australia and New Zealand and how about locating it in Pattaya!

Oz has a new Embassy next to Lumphini Police station.

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Britain used to own Singapore lock stock and barrel, now it owns sod all anywhere. All given away by an incompetent ruling class. Have to wonder if all the ones with intelligence got killed off in two world wars. The rot certainly set in post WW2.

Self determination, and why not the sun has set on the empire as such

You need to move on from the 19th, early to middle 20th century with the rest of us

A brave new world 55555555

On 31 January 2018 at 5:49 PM, nong38 said:

I think it has become a holiday home for career luvvies in the FCO, more interested in entertaining or being entertained than doing what the British people require them to do. 2 year stint and everyone moves to a new location at the tax payers expense.

Would not surprise me if the new Embassy is a shared one with Australia and New Zealand and how about locating it in Pattaya!

They can put it anywhere, and still it will be no more use than ornament.

Good riddance!

I was told they could do some consular services last year by some Thai staff, took the whole family to bkk, booked hotels, to be told they couldn't do it. Wasted a lot of money in time off work, flights etc.

Got an intention to renounce uk citizenship letter recently, if I get Thai citizenship. Tempted to use it!

I remember when you could go there and ask for help, money for a flight home etc.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Gad, it's like the word "lease" is unknown to the British.

Rent a broom cupboard somewhere for the low level clerk that deals with citizens, and put the stuff that matters in a building at the back, then LEASE the land for commercial development. Is that so difficult?

I guess they won't be putting on the annual garden party any more. Pity, as I believe it was quite popular.

The army sold off all their married quarters housing and evidently leased them back,lost 4bn according to the newspapers. 

On 1/31/2018 at 6:17 PM, Stocky said:

Indeed, seeing as most of the embassy function has been outsourced it's hard to understand what on earth they do all day!

Consular functions are outsourced I suppose, not Embassy.

On 1/31/2018 at 5:21 PM, plachon said:

Queen Victoria will be turning on her plinth, as well as her grave, when she learns of this news. I guess the Embassy will be operating out of a 4 room condo unit in future, as everything is outsourced and austerity post-Brexit Little Britain bites to the bone of its past hope and glory mythology.  :shock1:

More nonsense, this has nothing to do with the UK leaving the EU.

The sale of the front grounds was done under Blair/Brown government long before any mention of a referendum on the EU/UK.

Australia just sold and moved their embassy here.

The online services mean the FO do not need the staff to provide the dismal service the embassy provided 25 years ago, or as it does now.

The statue is a symbol not a person. If the new embassy is in an office block it can still be on show, but the Victorian era was long gone before the British acquired the land to build the compound.

Upgrading security in an old building? It's cheaper to move and reinvest.

Remoaner bleating rubbish again.

23 hours ago, MorristheRunt said:

Say's everything about the present state of the UK, a once mighty nation, now a weak, insignificant island.

I'm not British nor do I want to defend them, but all the mighty empires have fallen over time; the Egyptian, the Roman, the Ottoman, the Incas, etc. empires, once wealthy and powerful all crumbled over time. 

To portray the UK as "insignificant" isn't really true - it still has an important role to play, both in Europe and around the world, it's just a significantly less glorious, powerful role, but an important one nevertheless. 

Fact of the matter is, times change and it really isn't neccessary for embassies/consular offices to own large swats of land. 

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If it's that great why is it having to sell a great location for a measly few million? That wouldn't even buy an aircraft carrier these days, and won't be enough put any planes on it if they actually had one that worked.

Short sighted stupidity by short sighted stupid people, IMO.

I dont think the biggest land deal ever in Thai history is a measly few million as you put it. (Should be able to get half a dozen F35s for that BTW :) )

Nostalgia is nice, I'll be sad to see it go but it will finance some other projects the FCO has going that the tax payer therefore wont have to fork out for.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The 1984/85 miners strike cost the UK 3 billion pounds. An inefficient working class was a big part of the rot.

On 1/31/2018 at 6:12 PM, Orton Rd said:

I was a bit shocked going to the Italian Embassy, just an office in a tower block, UK will end up like that

The Swedish Embassy is the same. But I think it works way better than I hear about the British Embassy as we apply for our passports and everything there. Last time I applied for a new passport there I had my new passport in my hands 8 days later so it was a little late but that was because it was right in the middle of the summer holidays...

The building will be razed and a 70 story luxury condominium will be erected?  The neighbouring luxury condominiums that have long been feeling happy that their views were protected will be on tenterhooks now, especially lower floors.  Anyone have news on the buyer?

57 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

The Swedish Embassy is the same. But I think it works way better than I hear about the British Embassy as we apply for our passports and everything there. Last time I applied for a new passport there I had my new passport in my hands 8 days later so it was a little late but that was because it was right in the middle of the summer holidays...

Swedens entire population is only on par with Londons. How would they fare if it mirrored the whole of UKs?

21 minutes ago, LGMV said:

The building will be razed and a 70 story luxury condominium will be erected?  The neighbouring luxury condominiums that have long been feeling happy that their views were protected will be on tenterhooks now, especially lower floors.  Anyone have news on the buyer?

i bet its china thats buying it , also the british embassey did help me one time when it was my first time in thailand i needed some money sent out back in the 90s and they gave me a free phone call to call family and i got a relative to send more money out which i repaid once i got back to uk , i was spending alot in them days on sex and orgy parties and of course drink AHHH those were the days !

16 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Self determination, and why not the sun has set on the empire as such

You need to move on from the 19th, early to middle 20th century with the rest of us

A brave new world 55555555

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Have you read A brave new world?

15 hours ago, adammike said:

The army sold off all their married quarters housing and evidently leased them back,lost 4bn according to the newspapers. 

Sounds like something that happened. The bureaucrats that run the country can't see the wood for the trees, know the cost of everything and the value of nothing etc etc.

Douglas Adams had the solution to bureaucrats 55555555555555.

2 hours ago, djayz said:

I'm not British nor do I want to defend them, but all the mighty empires have fallen over time; the Egyptian, the Roman, the Ottoman, the Incas, etc. empires, once wealthy and powerful all crumbled over time. 

To portray the UK as "insignificant" isn't really true - it still has an important role to play, both in Europe and around the world, it's just a significantly less glorious, powerful role, but an important one nevertheless. 

Fact of the matter is, times change and it really isn't neccessary for embassies/consular offices to own large swats of land. 

Yes empires fall, but the tragedy of Britain's demise is that it didn't have to ruin the country. Just imagine if they'd kept the oil in the Arabian Gulf- what an amazing place Britain would be today. Certainly wouldn't be selling the Bkk embassy ground for a pittance because they're broke.

Britain spent young lives, blood and treasure in Iraq recently and got nothing for it- completely barking.

The last UK politician with "balls" was Thatcher. Pitiful pack of losers since.

Archived