Cash-strapped Foreign Office puts Bangkok embassy up for sale

Jonathan Fairfield

I read the FCO is going to use the money to re-invest in projects in other countries.

How are they going to get the money out of Thailand?
As it was a gift, the UK never brought the money into the country to buy it in the first place, so therefore cannot repatriate the cash, according to Bank Of Thailand regulations.
Diplomatic bag

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The great days of Great Britain are over. 

It will become a struggling 1st world country unable  to pay its bills & massive social security 

promises to its people & its little hi tech industries being all that's left left not enough to support it.

If you are holding sterling as your preferred currency & intend to live "offshore change it now.

Its large drop in value ain't over yet

On 1/31/2018 at 6:24 PM, watcharacters said:

Wireless is some top  shelf real estate!

I'm sorry to see this happen..

Nobody knows or can find Wireless Rd, even the streetvendors on the corner don't know that street. It even has no nameplate.:smile:

On 31/01/2018 at 5:21 PM, plachon said:

Queen Victoria will be turning on her plinth, as well as her grave, when she learns of this news. I guess the Embassy will be operating out of a 4 room condo unit in future, as everything is outsourced and austerity post-Brexit Little Britain bites to the bone of its past hope and glory mythology.  :shock1:

Nothing what's so ever to do with Brexit.

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

Nobody knows or can find Wireless Rd, even the streetvendors on the corner don't know that street. It even has no nameplate.:smile:

WOW!.

I had no problem finding Wireless  first time walking from Solo Hotel on Soi 5.      

Maybe for others it's not as easy.

Edit:   My memory may not serve me well here but I seem to recall a street sign for Wireless at Suk and Wireless.     I await corrections..

22 hours ago, Dodgydownunder said:

Having been throught the same process recently, we invite you guys to share our new digs on the top floor of Nana Plaza. Similar crap service offered by both countries. May as well.

Is that top floor left or top floor right as you come in from the 4?

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Good riddance!

I was told they could do some consular services last year by some Thai staff, took the whole family to bkk, booked hotels, to be told they couldn't do it. Wasted a lot of money in time off work, flights etc.

Got an intention to renounce uk citizenship letter recently, if I get Thai citizenship. Tempted to use it!

I remember when you could go there and ask for help, money for a flight home etc.

Yikes! Exactly how <deleted>' old are you?

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes empires fall, but the tragedy of Britain's demise is that it didn't have to ruin the country. Just imagine if they'd kept the oil in the Arabian Gulf- what an amazing place Britain would be today. Certainly wouldn't be selling the Bkk embassy ground for a pittance because they're broke.

Britain spent young lives, blood and treasure in Iraq recently and got nothing for it- completely barking.

The last UK politician with "balls" was Thatcher. Pitiful pack of losers since.

And we sold off our North Sea Oil and our gold reserves 

4 minutes ago, The manic said:

And we sold off our North Sea Oil and our gold reserves 

Historically any particular country has a limited time at the top of the pile:

Certainly the USA, China,  and Russia will experience the same outcome.

11 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

WOW!.

I had no problem finding Wireless  first time walking from Solo Hotel on Soi 5.      

Maybe for others it's not as easy.

Edit:   My memory may not serve me well here but I seem to recall a street sign for Wireless at Suk and Wireless.     I await corrections..

I looked at the google map before i went there out of Central Embassy....couldn't find it and asked loads of people who work there in the area, even securityguards at the corner. There is no streetname, it has a thai name that i forgot.

I really can't understand why such an important street not even has a namesign and on top of that a thai name with namesign. They better rename it in the local thai name, that's what they all know i guess.

Those beating their gums about the shabby treatment and poor service meted out by British Consular here staff should consider themselves well served.

Based on the then British Ambassador's comments about there being about 50,000 Brits living in LOS in 2010, I reckon there was probably about 1 consular staff for every 1000 Brits here.

Based on the latest best estimates of eligible British voters of 46.5 million and 650 elected members of parliament back in Britain, with a 1 MP for every 71,500 proles, I reckon they have really rubbish "customer service".

18 minutes ago, Thian said:

I looked at the google map before i went there out of Central Embassy....couldn't find it and asked loads of people who work there in the area, even securityguards at the corner. There is no streetname, it has a thai name that i forgot.

I really can't understand why such an important street not even has a namesign and on top of that a thai name with namesign. They better rename it in the local thai name, that's what they all know i guess.

You piqued my curiosity and I looked it up.

5a7444113118b_british5_54_58PM.png.08f1cc657e45341a9fe5e034e3bd6e7e.png

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

There are also huge offices in wireless but if you were a businessman could you find it with google maps?

I walked to the USA embassy without a problem and if push came to shove I'd easily get a taxi in Bangkok to drive me to the British Embassy.      But, Yes I think I could easily hoof it there myself..

54 minutes ago, Thian said:

They better rename it in the local thai name, that's what they all know i guess.

The locals already know the Wireless Road as 'Thanon Wittayu' and call it 'Wittayu' and pretty much any taxi driver from Nakhon Nowhere picking you up at either airport will know 'Wittayu'.

Road is 'thanon'

Embassy is 'satharn-thoot' and British is 'angreet' so "bpy thanon wittayu, bpy sathan-toot angreet" will get you there.

...before it moves of course.

Just now, NanLaew said:

The locals already know the Wireless Road as 'Thanon Wittayu' and call it 'Wittayu' and pretty much any taxi driver from Nakhon Nowhere picking you up at either airport will know 'Wittayu'.

Road is 'thanon'

Embassy is 'satharn-thoot' and British is 'angreet' so "bpy thanon wittayu, bpy sathan-toot angreet" will get you there.

That's great that the locals use the other name, the shop where i had to be used the name wireless though so i couldn't find it at all....business district of BKK :clap2::cheesy:

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Road is 'thanon'

And I've found showing the  cell Google Map image which includes street names in Thai pretty much seals the deal.

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

And I've found showing the  cell Google Map image which includes street names in Thai pretty much seals the deal.

That's also great! So the street doesn't need a wireless Rd namesign at all, saves them 2000 baht which is a lot compared to the landprices overthere.:whistling:

14 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Oh yes, seeing the Thai script will remove any doubt. Just don't ever show them a map, eh?

2 hours ago, JAG said:

It is all very well selling the embassy and so on, but what about the "concrete thing" on the corner of Wireless Road?

Isn't that some kind of historical property marker or something? It's outside the embassy walls, just off the sidewalk no? I remember reading all about it a few years back but you know how near-term memory goes. 

OK, memory jog.

"The “gun emplacement” marked the limits of Nai Lert’s property. When Nai Lert bought the land between Ploenchit Road and Klong Saen Saep he marked it off with stone boundary markers shaped like huge cannons stuck in the ground – there were six in all. Only one remains on the corner of the British Embassy. A previous marker outside the hotel entrance shaped like a bullet was destroyed in a car crash in 2003."

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes empires fall, but the tragedy of Britain's demise is that it didn't have to ruin the country. Just imagine if they'd kept the oil in the Arabian Gulf- what an amazing place Britain would be today. Certainly wouldn't be selling the Bkk embassy ground for a pittance because they're broke.

Britain spent young lives, blood and treasure in Iraq recently and got nothing for it- completely barking.

The last UK politician with "balls" was Thatcher. Pitiful pack of losers since.

You really need to start living in the real world my man

3 hours ago, Thian said:

There are also huge offices in wireless but if you were a businessman could you find it with google maps?

Easily.

You could Google the BTS network and look here and find it.

http://www.bangkok.com/bts/ploenchit.htm

It even gives you a picture of where the embassy is, the street name in English and Thai, and the BTS station.

That took me less than a minute to search and link.

Archived