need assist in accessing BitCoin

boomerangutang

A friend of mine (no kidding, it's not me) can't access a bunch of Bitcoin he and his Thai wife bought in 2014.   I've tried helping, and have some leads, but am not computer savvy - and he and his wife are even less-so: he doesn't use email, and she's had about 6 email exchanges since opening an account 5 years ago.  They have some paper trail and a password.  The fellow who actively assisted them when the wife bought Bitcoin, has died.  His computer was given to a Thai monk somewhere (I can almost hear the jokes now:  'Thai monk breaks code on 50 million baht worth of Bitcoin, and quits monastery to start harem....').   Seriously tho, the Brit fellow will pay a generous share of the Bitcoin value, if someone can tangibly assist in securing his account for him.  Message me if seriously able & interested.

Be careful who you accept help from

This should probably be done in person rather than via an anonymous Internet stranger or you will more than likely get robbed 

Where are you located? 

Don't use or let anyone use the computer in the meantime and disconnect it from the Internet as well would be a good idea! 

10 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Be careful who you accept help from. This should probably be done in person rather than via an anonymous Internet stranger or you will more than likely get robbed 

Where are you located? Don't use or let anyone use the computer in the meantime and disconnect it from the Internet as well would be a good idea! 

I spent 2 hours with the couple who are gobsmacked (a Brit guy and Thai wife).  We got a lot of bits and pieces of the puzzle, but it looks like less than 1% chance of them getting their bitcoin.

The original computer is gonzoed. The couple who lost have zero internet savvy.  The guy who got them to buy nearly $100k of Bitcoin is dead.  All the BitCoin people involved earlier, have non-functioning emails/URL's.   It's not a pretty situation.

I had a bad attitude about Bitcoin earlier, and my outlook has tanked since then.  It's so rife for breaches, rip-offs and lost accounts, despite the many layers of security they purport to put around it.  To me, it's worse than a pyramid scheme.

If you take dollars or baht and burn them in your front yard, you get more useful results.  At least you'll get a bit of heat on a cold day - maybe enough to roast a marshmallow.  If you plow real money in to Bitcoin, the chances it's gone forever are high.

9 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I spent 2 hours with the couple who are gobsmacked (a Brit guy and Thai wife).  We got a lot of bits and pieces of the puzzle, but it looks like less than 1% chance of them getting their bitcoin.

The original computer is gonzoed. The couple who lost have zero internet savvy.  The guy who got them to buy nearly $100k of Bitcoin is dead.  All the BitCoin people involved earlier, have non-functioning emails/URL's.   It's not a pretty situation.

I had a bad attitude about Bitcoin earlier, and my outlook has tanked since then.  It's so rife for breaches, rip-offs and lost accounts, despite the many layers of security they purport to put around it.  To me, it's worse than a pyramid scheme.

If you take dollars or baht and burn them in your front yard, you get more useful results.  At least you'll get a bit of heat on a cold day - maybe enough to roast a marshmallow.  If you plow real money in to Bitcoin, the chances it's gone forever are high.

I would help them for free ( give the reward to charity or whatever) if they were beside me  but from what you say it sounds pretty bleak....

The original computer is gone?   and the only guy who might know the password or details is dead and that's if the wallet is even recoverable.... 

If we recovered the wallet file and its encrypted (most peoples would be) then brute forcing the password without  knowing any part of it would take longer than all our lifetimes..... 

Really sorry but there is no failsafe 

The whole point of bitcoin is you are your own bank, there is no customer service helpline to help you when you forget your password

The bad news is, if he invested $100k years ago, it would be a very hefty sum thesedays..... 

Archived