Road carnage: January death toll goes through the roof

snoop1130

Road carnage: January death toll goes through the roof

14-4.jpg

The death toll from road accidents in the first month of the year has hit new heights.

Despite the government and other authorities saying they planned to address the carnage on the nation's roads the figures for January were up a more than half on last year.

A total of 1,452 people were reported killed last month at the scene of accidents. This compared to 947 in January 2017.

It was the highest monthly death toll on the roads in the last year, reported INN, even surpassing the "deadly" Songkran month of April last year that reached 1,382.

But these figures will rise significantly when those who died in hospital as a result of accidents are added. 

Experience shows that the figures could increase a further 50 - 70% at least. 

Deaths at the scene of accidents in the first half of 2016 were 5,308. In 2017 this rose to a staggering 6,712 by the end of June. 

But if this January's figures are anything to go by 10,000 could have perished by mid-year.

The figures were revealed by Thaejing Siripanich of the Anti Drink Driving Foundation. 

Source: https://www.innnews.co.th/crime/news_5630/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-2-2
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we have been predicting this for a couple years now;

all the academic studies point to a half dozen common causes; same ones;

i believe it is far more fundamental; thais are not careful, orderly people;

they do not grasp the value of order;

given them bigger,faster cars and trucks and more and more graduates from motorbikes.....;

this is what you get

I just drove from Pattaya to Phrae and back and encountered seriously awful driving continuously. Tailgating on the Motorways, when they can clearly see dozens of vehicles ahead of you, especially pisses me off, especially since every 30km or so, you could see 2-6 cars involved in dents and insurance claims from such stupidity. Cars overtaking the other way, not letting your lane free was pretty common.

Giving right of way? Yeah, Right!

Over a 750 Km journey, each direction, I saw the cops twice. And both times were paperwork check or search, not one out there managing traffic.

And then they wonder why the death toll is up? Hmmm! I think I know! No one is stopping idiots driving like buffaloes.

They're not going to give up that no.1 spot any time soon. What you see when you watch the dashcam and CCTV videos is amazing. I saw one guy on a motorbike pull out to overtake and he just drove straight into the front of a bus, and you think "<deleted> man? Didn't you see that coming?"

same as a jumbo jet crashing every week of the year killing all on board- mai pen rai, they seem incapable of doing the most obvious things to change it. Apart from the usual stupidity why do they feel the need to be constantly changing lanes? sometimes every few hundred yards.

43 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Over a 750 Km journey, each direction, I saw the cops twice. And both times were paperwork check or search, not one out there managing traffic.

Please, tell us if you travel in Europe< Canada, and the USA, if you see many police "managing traffic" because when I travel in other countries it is a rare occurrence to see police unless they are hiding somewhere with their radar guns or controlling traffic at collision scenes, etc.  While Thailand has a poor record other countries do not necessarily fare better, regardless of reports from worldwide agencies.

12 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Please, tell us if you travel in Europe< Canada, and the USA, if you see many police "managing traffic" because when I travel in other countries it is a rare occurrence to see police unless they are hiding somewhere with their radar guns or controlling traffic at collision scenes, etc.  While Thailand has a poor record other countries do not necessarily fare better, regardless of reports from worldwide agencies.

I have driven over much of the civilised world, on both sides of the roads. Much of it is now monitored by cameras, which penalise through the post infringements. Plus prior to this, you could regularly see traffic cops, who would nail you for speeding, check your vehicle etc. Lunatic driving in those places is now rarely seen, while here, the lack of any control by the cops, has led to a loss of control. Is the accident rate in any way related? And Thailand by official statistics fares about rock bottom, even before the latest 50% rise.

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

we have been predicting this for a couple years now;

all the academic studies point to a half dozen common causes; same ones;

i believe it is far more fundamental; thais are not careful, orderly people;

they do not grasp the value of order;

given them bigger,faster cars and trucks and more and more graduates from motorbikes.....;

this is what you get

It's not the "graduates from motorbikes" that are the majority of victims, it's still the 2 -wheelers.

Archived