Road carnage: January death toll goes through the roof

snoop1130

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Please, tell us if you travel in Europe< Canada, and the USA, if you see many police "managing traffic" because when I travel in other countries it is a rare occurrence to see police unless they are hiding somewhere with their radar guns or controlling traffic at collision scenes, etc.  While Thailand has a poor record other countries do not necessarily fare better, regardless of reports from worldwide agencies.

you obviously have never been to California and seen the Highway Patrol in action. Or LAPD's fleet of 15 helicopters. Or the LA county Sheriff. The list is endless. EXTREMELY proactive enforcement of traffic laws. 395,000 cars pass through the 10/405 interchange in Los Angeles each day with few mishaps.

There is nothing going on on Thailand's highways that the CHP could not fix in just a few months of proactive enforcement of the law.

All these highway deaths are caused by corrupt Thai police and government. 

3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Excellent  news, well done Junta, well done Thailand, but basically well done Thai People.

US stats are basically 3000 fatalities on average per month.  So you can roughly calculate 100 a day gauranteed.  And with all the idiots loose on the road there, and I've been driving for 40 years, I calculate around a million people have died on the highways and byways since I got behind the wheel.  I wouldn't put the blame on the US government for the stupidity and pure randomness of accidents.  Likewise I wouldn't place the blame on the junta either.  I mean.... really?  That's absurd.  Stupid is as stupid does.  And I've seen my fair share of stupid here.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Exactly.

Here's a video of how the Dutch police is undercover and confisticates 4 driverslicenses of racing big bikes....This is what Thailand needs...The motobikes drove more than 50 km/hr too fast which means they lost their license on the spot.

All government is good for is stealing your natural right to do something and then in the name of "the law" selling it back to you in the form of a license, taxing it, or putting you in a cage for not kowtowing and knowing your place.  I'm all for people getting smarter and not giving any government a bigger stick in which to beat anyone into "compliance".  A better behaved, compliant slave is still a slave.  If you're happy being one then good for you.    How about this... Just tell folks that if they speed, don't wear helmets, get injured from flying out the backs of pickups... etc. ad nauseum...  the insurance company isn't required to pay for your life insurance, hospitalization, injuries, damages to your property, etc.  You're simply SOL. Watch everyone scamper like cockroaches to get themselves set straight.  No threats by Big Brother or giving them the means to spy on you further.   Now that also means the cops won't be able to skim proceeds anymore so that's where the difficulty lies in that.

51 minutes ago, InnerCynic said:

US stats are basically 3000 fatalities on average per month.  So you can roughly calculate 100 a day gauranteed.  And with all the idiots loose on the road there, and I've been driving for 40 years, I calculate around a million people have died on the highways and byways since I got behind the wheel.  I wouldn't put the blame on the US government for the stupidity and pure randomness of accidents.  Likewise I wouldn't place the blame on the junta either.  I mean.... really?  That's absurd.  Stupid is as stupid does.  And I've seen my fair share of stupid here.

The US population is much higher than Thailand?

Over the last few weeks I've noticed drivers and riders taking more than the usual risks while out on the road.

These numbers tell me that my simple daily observations are right.

But why this sudden increase in risky manoeuvres?

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Unbelievable. Still, I expect the apologists will be out insisting black is white, and white no colour at all.

It does tell us a few things. All the incessant reporting of road death stats during the so-called deadly periods (Songran, New year) is meaningless.

Also, going by the reporter's wording (who claims to be an expert), "It was the highest monthly death toll on the roads in the last year", suggests it hasn't been so long since similar figures have been recorded and that last month's figures are within the normal statistical range.

So basically, as is usual on Thai roads, in January 2018 many people gambled with their lives, but more lost than average. Maybe February will be a luckier month.

Without a doubt, I've witnessed chaos on the roads increase > than 3 fold in the last decade alone. As said thousands of times the only solution is trained police presence on the roads within this chaos, citing those with significant penalties that will force them to rethink their insane wreckless carelessness. 

I'll never forget in Phuket on my scooter about to do a right hand turn into a side street, at the last moment saw another rider passing on the right, on the wrong side of the road. Had I not seen him, it would have been a serious crash.

Police and Government : Yes, deaths and accidents may be up but we've managed to stop and fine more tourists for the wearing the wrong coloured helmets than ever before ! And besides, it's hard to have more police on the roads when we need to parade 20 policeman on the TV for arresting a man smoking on the beach !

10 hours ago, Thian said:

In Europe there are undercover cops in cars who also have videocams at all sides. If you drive too close to another car or stay on the fast lane when the slow lane is empty they will give you a huge fine...for speeding they have camera's littery everywhere, the ticket will come to your home. They also use cars with computerequipment who can read licenseplates and check if the car is insured or checked for safety yearly.

They also register the licenseplate and do it again after 50 km or so, they then calculate the travelled speed over that distance and will send a fine if necessary.

There's no way to do drive like a Thai in Europe, you'll get stopped by police within 10 minutes...and there's no way to bribe them at all. When they stop you for an offence they also check the whole car if all is working properly, if not more fines are written.

What you see on the Thai roads every day is unbelievable for the Europeans. It can be a primetime tv=show for them to watch Thai traffic.

I really can't understand why Thailand let this all happen, they do have police but they won't do their job...and even a big general can't fix that.

Soon the whole world will make jokes about driving like a Thai...and they totally deserve it.

10 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Please, tell us if you travel in Europe< Canada, and the USA, if you see many police "managing traffic" because when I travel in other countries it is a rare occurrence to see police unless they are hiding somewhere with their radar guns or controlling traffic at collision scenes, etc.  While Thailand has a poor record other countries do not necessarily fare better, regardless of reports from worldwide agencies.

I don't know what part of Canada you drove in but when I lived there 20 years ago the cops or the cameras made my pay regularly for infringements.

1 minute ago, DavidB4 said:

I know the situation in Thailand is terrible but honestly you make Europe sound like a big-brother police state that scares me even more than the Thai drivers! 

Hmm......

Sure you're scared....frightening,dreadful,ghastly,confronting behaviour on the part of Big Brother-or is it Big Nanny?

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

My Mrs has only been to the UK once for a month, we travelled extensively by road and she could not believe how much we all obeyed the rules of the road and also driver courtesy :) 

MrsL has never driven in UK but has travelled many miles as my passenger when we visit. Just like your wife, she's been amazed at the courtesy of other drivers and she's made many adverse comments on Thai drivers and their stupid antics when she's driven back here. She tries to put some of what she's seen in UK into pracitise here but, of course, that's doomed to failure because of the local drivers' stupidity and unwillingness to cooperate.

On our 80-odd km drive from home to Khon Kaen, I don't think we've ever failed to see a number of accidents on the Highway 2 - most on a one-way trip was 14 separate incidents - yet my wife can't remember ever seeing a single accident in UK although, of course, they do happen. 

And why are these drivers speeding in the first place? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise. How often do you see a policeman on the road, looking for careless drivers, drunken drivers, cars traveling at excessive speeds, etc? It just does not happen here. Why? They just do not care. The apathy is staggering, and the death toll continues to climb. Congratulations Thailand. You have reached number one in the world!

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

17 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

It's the 2 wheelers because most of them are killed by a car driver.

Discussing the accident rate in Thailand has gone beyond futility.

I can't be bothered to refer you to a previous thread with a discussion about relative rates.

You can believe my estimation of car deaths in Thailand (14.5 million cars and PUs owned) as being 5.91 times greater than they are in the UK (31.7 million cars owned )............or not.

11 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

In Queensland, Australia, a lot of traffic checks are done remotely by CCTV.   One bridge in a bad speeding area has 6 cameras, all facing away from the traffic:  in other words, drivers speed past these, not knowing they've been photographed, and the summons appears in the post within the next 3 days.

I also read recently of a motor bike CCTV, which photographs the rear number plate (none on the front).

I hope they catch the hoons who often travel down a busy road in Chiang Mai (Huay Kaew Rd), going through three zebra crossings, and they are often doing in excess of 70-80kmh.

The lack of a Highway Patrol in this country really amazes me.  Their presence alone would make drivers aware that they're being watched.

Are there helicopter patrols?

11 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Your post is complete nonsense and a good example of the view through rosy specs.

2 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Discussing the accident rate in Thailand has gone beyond futility.

I can't be bothered to refer you to a previous thread with a discussion about relative rates.

You can believe my estimation of car deaths in Thailand as being 5.91 times greater in Thailand than they are in the UK (which has a larger number of cars)............or not.

Not meaning any disrespect, but why would anyone believe a personal estimate without some data to back it up, along with the logic that allows a comparison of very different reporting schemes?

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And why are these drivers speeding in the first place? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise. How often do you see a policeman on the road, looking for careless drivers, drunken drivers, cars traveling at excessive speeds, etc? It just does not happen here. Why? They just do not care. The apathy is staggering, and the death toll continues to climb. Congratulations Thailand. You have reached number one in the world!

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

You should know that western logic does not work in Thailand.Kids are not raised to be responsible for their actions or nobody teaches them to behave in traffic?Yes they are being taught of course but not to

(our)western standards.Everything is mai pen rai until it goes wrong and then it is karma.

If you know it is so dangerous why on earth would you be going over 100kph,also breaking the law.What law?,there is the problem.Nothing is being enforced.

There is no qeustion in my mind that something has to change,but where will they start?

Western logic is just not going to work because it is not the Thai way.

You can blame it on the roads,the government(army,police)but the end responsibility lies with the people themselves and they just don't care.

Archived