reporting

I am a little confused?

I flew into Thailand, I have a retirement visa. 

Tried to get the hotel where I am staying to report my entry to Thai immigration. They said no they could not do it for me.

Last year I had to pay a fine because i did not register when i arrived.

What do I do?

What exactly is a 'Retirement Visa'?

Is this a Non Imm O or O-A Visa you obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate, OR an extension based on retirement you obtained at a local Immigration office.

If you are staying at a hotel it is their responsibility to report your presence, you have no need to be concerned.

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If you are staying at a hotel it is their responsibility to report your presence, you have no need to be concerned.

Indeed, that's not going to be a worry, but he should report when he arrives in CM.

13 minutes ago, garyk said:

Chiang mai, But i flew into BKK and will stay here for a few days before I head out to Chiang mai.

In BKK the immigration doesn't want your report, as far as i know from what people wrote on Thaivisa

In Chiang Mai they probably expect that you submit a TM30

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, that's not going to be a worry, but he should report when he arrives in CM.

That depends if he's going to stay in a hotel again, or if he has a private residence.

He hasn't really told us much about his reason or length of stay in Thailand.

I'm guessing he has a Non Imm O-A Visa which the Thai Embassy in the US often refer to as a 'Retirement Visa'.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

That depends if he's going to stay in a hotel again, or if he has a private residence.

He hasn't really told us much about his reason or length of stay in Thailand.

I'm guessing he has a Non Imm O-A Visa which the Thai Embassy in the US often refer to as a 'Retirement Visa'.

My Visa says  retirement visa stamped on it? Every year I get one. A visa based on income. I am on the road now. Heading to Chiang Mai. Last year I was here for a couple of months before I went to get my Visa. They got upset for some reason. 

I will let you know what they say. I keep the receipt for the hotel. So hopefully that will help. 

Thanks

Edited by garyk

39 minutes ago, garyk said:

My Visa says  retirement visa stamped on it? Every year I get one. A visa based on income. I am on the road now. Heading to Chiang Mai. Last year I was here for a couple of months before I went to get my Visa. They got upset for some reason. 

I will let you know what they say. I keep the receipt for the hotel. So hopefully that will help. 

Thanks

It is not a Visa. Nowhere on your stamp does it state the word ''Visa''.

You have an extension of your permission to stay based on retirement, obtained from a local IO, which is a permit.

A Visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate would allow either one, two or multiple entries.

Your permit does not allow any entries, you must purchase them separately (single 1,000 baht, multiple 3,800 baht) if you want to exit/enter Thailand during the validity of your current 'permission to stay' period.

In your intention is to stay in CM, then you'll have to complete and submit a TM28 to formally change address in order to file your 90 day reports there. A hotel files the TM30. In private/rented accommodation the 'house master' should file the TM30.

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It is not a Visa. Nowhere on your stamp does it state the word ''Visa''.

You have an extension of your permission to stay based on retirement, obtained from a local IO, which is a permit.

A Visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate would allow either one, two or multiple entries.

Your permit does not allow any entries, you must purchase them separately (single 1,000 baht, multiple 3,800 baht) if you want to exit/enter Thailand during the validity of your current 'permission to stay' period.

In your intention is to stay in CM, then you'll have to complete and submit a TM28 to formally change address in order to file your 90 day reports there. A hotel files the TM30. In private/rented accommodation the 'house master' should file the TM30.

Ok, I thought it was a visa.

3 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

It’s easy to be confused when a visa used for entering Thailand is then used (and cancelled) as the basis to gain an “extension to stay permitted up to_____” stamp which can often be entered on a “Visa” page in your passport.

Thanks for the explination.

Been getting this stamp in my Visa for years now when I visit Thailand and never gave it a second thought.. haha

Being from South Texas and traveling into Mexico and South America I must say the paper work and hassle for me to stay here a few months each year seems over kill?  

Have a great day, peace.