New passport and transfer of extension stamps

I have a retirement extension and multiple re-entry permit and am soon to get a new passport while outside of Thailand.

I assume I will be able to re-enter Thailand the first time by showing the stamps in my old passport. But then is it compulsory for me to transfer the extension and re-entry stamps into the new passport?

Or can I keep coming and going by bringing along the old passport too?

Yes, you re-enter Thailand showing the re-entry permit in the old passport 

You should go to the immigration office where you are registered (typically where you received the extension) to get stamps transferred. This will include the entry stamp for your initial entry before any extensions, plus extension stamp and an annotation. I am not sure if they will transfer your re-entry permit. If may be necessary to carry your old passport until your next extension and re-entry permit.

Thanks BritTim.

But us it compulsory to do the extension transfer?

I will only be back for a couple of days over the weekend, and they want a letter from the Brit Embassy giving permission to transfer the stamp (?) Which I won't recieve in time.

I just want to keep coming back in for a few days each month without having to stay longer to do the transfer.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Thanks BritTim.

But us it compulsory to do the extension transfer?

I will only be back for a couple of days over the weekend, and they want a letter from the Brit Embassy giving permission to transfer the stamp (?) Which I won't recieve in time.

I just want to keep coming back in for a few days each month without having to stay longer to do the transfer.

I am not sure what will happen if you delay transfer of your original entry stamp and extension to the new passport. You are supposed to have it done promptly, but obviously cannot get it done while outside Thailand. If you can show that it is impractical to do it during your short visits, maybe airport immigration will accept that. I would not personally risk it.

OP, i'm not sure what office you use for your immigration matters.  i use CW in bangkok.  i recently got a new passport in bangkok and went to have the extension of stay and re-entry permit stamps transferred from old to new.  i wasn't sure what desk would handle it and it turned out that i had to visit the extension of stay desk (retirement/marriage) and the re-entry permit desk.  took a little longer than i expected so be aware if you use that office (i arrived at 9:15 and left at 3pm).

I needed to show a letter from the Embassy when transferring my "retirement" stamps little more than a year ago. Some Immigrations charge a fee for the service – I paid 500 baht, which is Okay, read that others also have been charged 500 baht, whilst some claims that the service was free – but it may well be different in other Immigrations, some offices seem to make their own rules. I gave them my new passport and old passport in the morning, and could pick them up in the afternoon.

When changing passport, and having a new number, there might be other places to get the passport number changed, like insurance polices, and Driving License, and banks. The last can be important, as some banks, for example Bangkok Bank, include the passport number in the bank book, and if the shown passport and the number inside the bank book are not the same, you cannot withdraw money; you'll need new bank books issued, with your new passport number inside. Also, for example, a Central Mall bonus point card, you cannot claim your bonus, if the passport number on file, don't match the passport number shown as ID.

If you are getting your new passport in person from the UK you may have a problem getting your extension and re-entry permits moved, I applied for my from Thailand using an agent who did all the legwork for me, when my new passport arrived it came with a letter from the British Embassy, all you have to do is fill in the blanks on the letter and take it to the immigration office.

I don't know which office you use but a couple of things to be aware of, my office (Jomtien) told me that the transfer takes 2 days & they keep both your passports, she also asked me where I got the letter from the Embassy from as she had another guy who wanted his stamps moved but had no letter, I assume that the guy was in the UK for a visit and did it whilst there, so not sure what happened to his stamps. Pretty sure if ubonjoe sees your question he will point out any inaccuracies in my reply.

The  most  consistent  thing  about  Thai Immigration is  it's inconsistency. 

Yet I have  not yet  had  any serious issue over  many years. Late  last year  had  to  apply for  an  annual  extension  with a  passport  due to expire  in  January. As  expected  as  has  happened  before  an extension was  granted  but to a  date 36  days past  the  date of  expiry of  the  passport .(?)  Duly  informed   that I would  need  to  return with  new  passport  for  what I  understood  would  be  the  transfer  and  full  annual extension as  had  happened  before  with a  new passport. (which on  that  previous  occasion  was   at  no cost. )

How ever  not so  this  time ! I was  required  to  provide  all documentation such as   Bank  deposit verification etc and the  annual extension  was  granted  from  the  date  of  the short  term  extension in old  passport. The  fee  was  also  applied. Ok,  irritating but no argument because I  had  already  learned  that  that  is  the change  in  the  regulations  since  my  last change  of passport.

But  my   Bank  raised  no  question  when I  requested a new  verification  of  deposited  funds when I explained  it was  required  because I  had a new passport and had  to  revisit  Immigration. They  simply  registered  my  new  passport  number against  my  account  and  issued  the  letter  of  verification.

The  only  issue  with  that was  with  Immigration  who initially objected  to the  fact  that that letter was  issued  on a Friday  and I was  applying  for an extension  on  the  following Monday. (An assumption  that  the  balance  may  be  false due  to  weekend  withdrawals). Finally  accepted  when they  came to  understand  the  account  has  no   debit  card  attached to  make  that possible.

The time  in the  bank  took  20  minutes. 100   Bht. The  time  in  the Immigration  Office  took 40  minutes including waiting   time in  the  queue. 1900 Bht. Travel  time   between  the  two  1  hour.

Overall  situation  normal .

• Like 1

When you get a new passport, isn't the old one cancelled and no longer valid for travel?

Presuming you can show the extension in the old passport , and get the full permission of stay for it's validity, I would move to transfer the extension promptly. Then ask to transfer the re-entry permit, multiples are a bit too expensive to lose mid-term. Be interested to hear how it goes.

Usually the extension is only valid for the life of the passport, so I guess you are renewing well before the expiry.

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

you get a new passport, isn't the old one cancelled and no longer valid for travel?

He would be using the new passport for travel, entry stamps, etc.  Cancelling  the passport doesn't cancel his Thai re-entry stamp or extension of stay in the old passport. He would present both passports to Thai immigration.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

The OP asked "But then is it compulsory for me to transfer the extension and re-entry stamps into the new passport?"

It interests me, since I will be in the same boat in a couple of months. It would be easier not to have to transfer the old stamps immediately (allowing for multiple exits/entries using both passports) and wait until the natural expiration of the old extension and RE permit.

BTW, my Immigration Office is Chiang Mai.

Edited by PFV
typos

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

When you get a new passport, isn't the old one cancelled and no longer valid for travel?

Presuming you can show the extension in the old passport , and get the full permission of stay for it's validity, I would move to transfer the extension promptly. Then ask to transfer the re-entry permit, multiples are a bit too expensive to lose mid-term. Be interested to hear how it goes.

Usually the extension is only valid for the life of the passport, so I guess you are renewing well before the expiry.

However, "valid visas remain valid"...

2006_passt-cancelled-stamp.jpg.4c38ce4a02d4f8236a6b1517700734e7.jpg

23 hours ago, khunPer said:

When changing passport, and having a new number, there might be other places to get the passport number changed, like insurance polices, and Driving License, and banks. The last can be important, as some banks, for example Bangkok Bank, include the passport number in the bank book, and if the shown passport and the number inside the bank book are not the same, you cannot withdraw money; you'll need new bank books issued, with your new passport number inside.

Yes, I found out about that the hard way when I attempted to obtain a new Bangkok Bank passbook for the first time after I had last renewed my passport!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, khunPer said:

However, "valid visas remain valid"...

2006_passt-cancelled-stamp.jpg.4c38ce4a02d4f8236a6b1517700734e7.jpg

But it isn't a Visa we are discussing, it is an Extension and a re-entry permit. It is also dependent on Thai immigration, not the passport issuing country.

Edited by jacko45k

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But it isn't a Visa we are discussing, it is an Extension and a re-entry permit. It is also dependent on Thai immigration, not the passport issuing country.

Your passport issuing country cancels their passport, but cannot cancel other countries visas, or other valid permissions like an extension, or re-entry permission(s).

You have an extension of stay based on something added to your "visa" – for example based on "retirement" – and your extension is still valid till the end of that date; however you'll need to transfer the various "stamps" as-soon-as-possible to your new passport.

That's why your original visa – no matter it's decades old, it's still valid for your stay in The Kingdom, due to extensions – will be transferred to your new passport, together with your last extension of stay, and last entry stamp into The Kingdom. Furthermore other permissions, like valid re-entry will be transferred; if you for example leave Thailand within an extended period of stay, but don't have a re-entry permit, you'll loose the validity of your original visa's "extension of stay".

:smile:

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Is there some allowable time period between getting a new passport and being "legally" required to transfer the original visa, the current extension of stay and a multiple re-entry permit? For example, if my extension of stay expires on 1 September, and my multiple re-entry permit expires on that same day, and I get a new passport on 15 August (and do not travel internationally), can I simply wait those 15 days to get a NEW extension of stay and re-entry permit in the NEW passport? Or am I required to initiate the transfer of stamp(s) within some stated period or face "issues"?

How about the original Visa, which is the object of the annual extension of stay? Is that also transferred? Or do I need to show that in the 'old' passport as part of the annual extension of stay procedures, and upon each subsequent entry? Or does Immigration have a suitable record of that original Visa?

Edited by mtls2005

14 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Is there some allowable time period between getting a new passport and being "legally" required to transfer the original visa, the current extension of stay and a multiple re-entry permit? For example, if my extension of stay expires on 1 September, and my multiple re-entry permit expires on that same day, and I get a new passport on 15 August (and do not travel internationally), can I simply wait those 15 days to get a NEW extension of stay and re-entry permit in the NEW passport? Or am I required to initiate the transfer of stamp(s) within some stated period or face "issues"?

How about the original Visa, which is the object of the annual extension of stay? Is that also transferred? Or do I need to show that in the 'old' passport as part of the annual extension of stay procedures? Or does Immigration have a suitable record of that original Visa?

You can have the stamps transferred when you do the extension application. There is no rule that says you have to do it within X number of days.

Immigration will do a stamp with spaces for info about your old passport and the visa that allowed the entry that you have been extending. 

After that is done you can retire your old passport.

22 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If I wait until my new Extension is due (November)and get it put in my new passport which was issued in September, can I mail in my 90 day report with my old passport details in October?

You can do the report by mail or online using the old passport copies and number.

I personally would do it sooner rather than having to have both passports with me. I think I would do it when the 90 day report is due so that it will  be done when your extension it is applied for and you can be certain that the new passport number is in their 90 day report system.

38 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If I wait until my new Extension is due (November)and get it put in my new passport which was issued in September, can I mail in my 90 day report with my old passport details in October?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Is that just a grammar error. 'Was issued in September'.

That would be 10 months ago.

Is that just a grammar error. 'Was issued in September'.
That would be 10 months ago.
Not really; I used "was issued" as the issuance of the new passport will have happened (in September) before I renew the Extension in November. In other words I will be renewing my Extension with a new passport which was issued 2 months earlier.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app