Old Ford Ranger, rant and thoughts.

garyk

This is not going to be of interest to most I think. But, I enjoy tinkering with my old pickup.

2008 Ford Ranger, 2.5 diesel.

10 years on and this is a list of things I have had to do to it to keep it on the road.

1. 140 K. or so.  new fuel rail.

2. 150K Transmission sensor

3. 160K  O-ring leaking and had to replace the lines to the injectors.

4. Many front wheel bearing replacements.

5. 170K New shocks front and back. Really worth it.

6. 185K New A/C compressor

7. 200K -300K Pretty un-eventful.

8. 300K ouch.. Radiator ruptured. Engine overheated. Warped head, had to have the head shaved and a new radiator.

9. 310K Brake calipers on the front ruptured the rubber and had to be replaced.

10. 320K Rubber that seals the injectors had to be replaced.

11. 320K New starter.

12. Since I bought the truck I have had 3 timing belts replaced.

A few things I have learned along the way:

1. When I first arrived and bought the truck I didn't trust any other mechanics but Ford.  Big mistake on my part.

After several bad experiences with Ford,  I avoid Ford if it is possible.  Since I travel I always go to the local parts house and ask who is the best mechanic in town. I must say I have never been lied to and I am amazed at the quality of work they do.

2. I have learned to trust the mechanics and try and work with them on the problem I am having. Big plus. If the mechanics is highly recommended I find they will bend over backwards to help you.

3. I stay away from the big shops and try to find a family owned business that is successful. Great folks IMO and extremely competent.

For me after finding these great mechanics I would never buy a new truck here. A complete overhaul with excellent results is just too cheap!. These guys that know there stuff and are diesel magicians. Really good and extremely cheap. I would not hesitate to buy a nice truck with a blown engine at this stage and have it pulled down to a trusted mechanic and have it rebuilt.

Also I would never buy another Ford product here. Most of the mechanics here work on Toyota, Isuzu trucks. A HUGE deal, After marked products are everywhere, easy to get and stocked most places.

Burning up the roads,,, haha

We are up to 180k on ours, I think...

Never had anything done apart from oil changes and one new set of tyres at 120k.

2 months ago though, we had to start with some fixes. Front wheel bearings, timing belt, few other small things but the bill wasn't huge. Also had the A/C cleaned out.

I reckon 7yrs motoring, 180k that is a pretty good return for the money. I would buy a Ford again but wouldn't expect to get this lucky again :)

Cornishcarlos, Yep. Sounds like you have a good one... 

I am really hard on my truck, so most of my repairs are expected by me.

Take care.

Injector o-rings need to be replaced on a regular basis. They live in a hot environment and the rubber degrades.

If the fuel rail included new injectors, FI cleaner used on a regular basis would have helped.

Brake calipers the same. Timing belt is a time/distance thing.

Was the rad aluminum ? Did you run 100% water or coolant ?

Agree 1000% re: local mechanics. Find a family owned and operated one, can't go wrong. Dealers, franchises like B-Quik, etc. etc. just do not have the same knowledge and qualified staff.

I think you are doing well with this truck. Compare total purchase price and total repair price to a new one and the difference is amazing. And at that KM you would still have had the repairs. But you do not eat the depreciation.

Bought one new in dec 1999. Still have it. 270.000km. I think it was one of the first ones here with the big letters painted on the back-loading panel (later models have a ford emblem)

1st thing to repair was the airco switch. It indicated "off" in the lowest position but the airco never switched off. I saw later models have "min" written on it. I got a new switch which really switches the aircon off in the lowest position.

2x a small rubber hose from hydraulic clutch replaced due to leaking

Front big steering-bearings replaced (in 2016)

2x timing belt

Clutch house replaced (10.000 thb) around 6 years of age

It is still running, after 18 years, on its original aircon cooling filling! It starts now with some smoke in the morning (since 2 years or so) but starts fast. 5th battery in there.

Agree on the ford "craftman-ship". Stay away from their garages.

Great thread, thanks for starting it.

I got a 2010 around 130k kms.

So far two AC rebuilds one was not needed, but a misunderstanding by the shop.  Mice have built a nest in my AC fan three times, causing lots of trouble.

Front shocks replaced.

On the third set of tires now, changed at 120K

A coolant line broke 2 hours into a 3 hour highway trip. The engine light is hard to notice, so by the time I saw my high engine temp I did some damage to the heads.  A regular mechanic did the repair, not Ford, he took too long but did a great job.

I assume that I should be doing some long schedule maintenance soon, but I don't know what things would be best. any suggestions?

Also I agree with the comment about avoiding Ford at all costs. They waste huge amounts of your time, and then you got to go somewhere else because they didn't listen. I think they make good trucks, but I'll be buying a Toyota next just because of the aftermarket experience. For example I needed some of the interior trim pieces replaced. After waiting forever just to speak with someone. He spent another half hour looking at the truck, went back to his computer and asked me to figure out which parts I needed. This also took a long time because their parts diagrams were difficult to figure out. Then I had to come back the next week Apparently I got it all wrong because none of the stuff fit except an AC knob, but not until I modified it. But I guess it wasn't their fault right?

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Injector o-rings need to be replaced on a regular basis. They live in a hot environment and the rubber degrades.

If the fuel rail included new injectors, FI cleaner used on a regular basis would have helped.

Brake calipers the same. Timing belt is a time/distance thing.

Was the rad aluminum ? Did you run 100% water or coolant ?

Agree 1000% re: local mechanics. Find a family owned and operated one, can't go wrong. Dealers, franchises like B-Quik, etc. etc. just do not have the same knowledge and qualified staff.

I think you are doing well with this truck. Compare total purchase price and total repair price to a new one and the difference is amazing. And at that KM you would still have had the repairs. But you do not eat the depreciation.

Hey canthai55, yea, I think I have had all the o-rigns fail now.. haha  hope so anyway.

The fuel rain did not include new injectors, but thanks for the tip on the cleaner. I will start using it.

I watched the guy take apart my top end on my engine and put it back together, wow. No torque wrench but saw him torque it by hand every screw. Amazing.

I have no idea about the radiator, It looked all plastic to me? But, I am a stickler for maintenance and had the fluid changed with coolant every 100,000 KM. Never any tap water. Every once in a while I would top it off with distilled water not often.

I agree, depreciation is awful on new cars. And maintenance is unbelievably cheap here. I cannot make my self buy a new truck at this point. 

Have a good one.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

Bought one new in dec 1999. Still have it. 270.000km. I think it was one of the first ones here with the big letters painted on the back-loading panel (later models have a ford emblem)

1st thing to repair was the airco switch. It indicated "off" in the lowest position but the airco never switched off. I saw later models have "min" written on it. I got a new switch which really switches the aircon off in the lowest position.

2x a small rubber hose from hydraulic clutch replaced due to leaking

Front big steering-bearings replaced (in 2016)

2x timing belt

Clutch house replaced (10.000 thb) around 6 years of age

It is still running, after 18 years, on its original aircon cooling filling! It starts now with some smoke in the morning (since 2 years or so) but starts fast. 5th battery in there.

Agree on the ford "craftman-ship". Stay away from their garages.

Wow, 18 years  good on you.

I had problems with my A/C switch also.

Next for me is the Clutch, I do a lot of hard driving in the mountains and it is getting doggy. 

Yea, Ford dealers are not what they are cracked up to be by a long shot. Some things I have to go back for but I dread it every time.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Great thread, thanks for starting it.

I got a 2010 around 130k kms.

So far two AC rebuilds one was not needed, but a misunderstanding by the shop.  Mice have built a nest in my AC fan three times, causing lots of trouble.

Front shocks replaced.

On the third set of tires now, changed at 120K

A coolant line broke 2 hours into a 3 hour highway trip. The engine light is hard to notice, so by the time I saw my high engine temp I did some damage to the heads.  A regular mechanic did the repair, not Ford, he took too long but did a great job.

I assume that I should be doing some long schedule maintenance soon, but I don't know what things would be best. any suggestions?

Also I agree with the comment about avoiding Ford at all costs. They waste huge amounts of your time, and then you got to go somewhere else because they didn't listen. I think they make good trucks, but I'll be buying a Toyota next just because of the aftermarket experience. For example I needed some of the interior trim pieces replaced. After waiting forever just to speak with someone. He spent another half hour looking at the truck, went back to his computer and asked me to figure out which parts I needed. This also took a long time because their parts diagrams were difficult to figure out. Then I had to come back the next week Apparently I got it all wrong because none of the stuff fit except an AC knob, but not until I modified it. But I guess it wasn't their fault right?

You know I did the scheduled maintenance on mine! Like clockwork. It didn't help me what so ever. If I hold on to the truck for the next few hundred KM I will go into my local shop and just tell them to replace the radiator and hoses at about 500KM. I don't want to go threw that again and the radiator is too cheap.

+1 on the aftermarket parts. If I would of bought a Toyota or Isuzu no problem. Bumpers, small parts are so plentiful for those trucks all over Thailand. 

Haha, My A/C knob broke several time. I got tired of replacing it. I bought some superglue, got some regular thread and put it on the knob where it slides over the switch. Then wrapped it with thread and superglued the thread also. That was a few years ago and I have never had a problem since. It slides on and off just like a new one and is tough as nails...

Forgot to mention I have allot of problems with leaves and such getting into my blower motor for the A/C. After watching them pull the motor and cleaning it. I do it myself now. 

Good to hear you use coolant - and practice preventive maintenance.

Guy in our village, who fixes our cars, and everybodys everything else - tractors, rice harvesters, cars, pickups ... I call him to see when he can look at my car. Wait 30 minutes and he drives into our yard. Finds out what is wrong - if it is obvious - and tells the wife he will order parts and call when they arrive. Never asks for one satang up front. His work is as good - if not better - than mine as his breadth of knowledge is greater than mine. Lucky guy I am - as is the rest of the village.

Good stories!

I am a serial Ford pickup owner since the latest PX/T6 model came in around 2010/11 and although I have had good fortune with the only 2 Ford dealerships I ever had to deal with, once the warranty expires on this current one, I will be reverting to the well-regarded, trusted local mechanic for any future service, repair and maintenance.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Good stories!

I am a serial Ford pickup owner since the latest PX/T6 model came in around 2010/11 and although I have had good fortune with the only 2 Ford dealerships I ever had to deal with, once the warranty expires on this current one, I will be reverting to the well-regarded, trusted local mechanic for any future service, repair and maintenance.

Using a good local mechanic you should be able to save 50% up,  And get personalized excellent service.

Best of luck.

I was in Ford yesterday so I asked how much for a new starter. They quoted me 10200 baht. I had my local mechanic buy one for me at the local part's house and install it for me. Price was 4200 baht. I can't tell the difference in the way it works. I would think that the Ford starter would be better? But after market was over 50% cheaper.

In case anyone is interested this is what I have been doing for several years now with no problems.

Ford does not make starters. They do not make the box they come in, or the label on the end of the box with a Ford part number.

Buying this stuff - aircon compressor, steering rack, PS pump, and on and on is just throwing your money away. Or in this case into the hands of the dealer.

Just now, garyk said:

I was in Ford yesterday so I asked how much for a new starter. They quoted me 10200 baht. I had my local mechanic buy one for me at the local part's house and install it for me. Price was 4200 baht. I can't tell the difference in the way it works. I would think that the Ford starter would be better? But after market was over 50% cheaper.

In case anyone is interested this is what I have been doing for several years now with no problems.

50% cheaper again at least if you get the origional rebuilt

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Ford does not make starters. They do not make the box they come in, or the label on the end of the box with a Ford part number.

Buying this stuff - aircon compressor, steering rack, PS pump, and on and on is just throwing your money away. Or in this case into the hands of the dealer.

Good to know.

2 hours ago, kartman said:

50% cheaper again at least if you get the origional rebuilt

Haha, i thought about that when he took my old starter. I had him give it back to me. 

I will get it rebuilt and have a spare.

Only had Ford here and will likely buy another one later in the year. Never had any real issues with Ford service, only the usual small niggles that always occur when dealing with the geniuses here.

I have never been in a Toyota that has driven anywhere near as good as the Ford equivalent. My Ranger rides better than the fugly Fortuna. Lots of people like a poor ride it seems.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

8 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Only had Ford here and will likely buy another one later in the year. Never had any real issues with Ford service, only the usual small niggles that always occur when dealing with the geniuses here.

I have never been in a Toyota that has driven anywhere near as good as the Ford equivalent. My Ranger rides better than the fugly Fortuna. Lots of people like a poor ride it seems.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Would have thought folk buy a ride to fit their criteria, after all we are all different with most things in life. You forget that folk buy Fortuner's when they have a choice from a selection of SUV's, same with truck's..:stoner:...

Would have thought folk buy a ride to fit their criteria, after all we are all different with most things in life. You forget that folk buy Fortuner's when they have a choice from a selection of SUV's, same with truck's..:stoner:...
I just dont understand why anyone would buy them as they are simply not as good as some if the other options.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I just dont understand why anyone would buy them as they are simply not as good as some if the other options.

Gizmo's maybe your thing, which is cool, but they are not my thing so I have a different view on stuff to yourself..:smile:

4 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I was talking about the p**s-poor ride quality that Toyota customers have to endure.

Again, that is your opinion...I for one do not need a girlie ride truck, I want reliability foremost with an acceptable "ride" incorporated into that reliability...:stoner:

Again, that is your opinion...I for one do not need a girlie ride truck, I want reliability foremost with an acceptable "ride" incorporated into that reliability...:stoner:
I have experience it across the current range: camry, Taxi, Fortuner, and Revo over the last 18 months or so.

3 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I have experience it across the current range: camry, Taxi, Fortuner, and Revo over the last 18 months or so.

My chum has a Camry and it has an excellent ride over dodgy roads, so I really don't know where you are coming from. But I do have my trusty tyre pressure gauge on my belt..:laugh:

Archived