Boat crew arrested after slashing Ukrainian tourist

webfact

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

On the surface you'd side with the Ukranian, a poor innocent tourist who complained about late departure and chastised the boatman, the boatman should learn to manage criticism and to practise effective customer complaint management you'll perhaps say! My money, however, is on the boatman not being at fault, cultural gap, behaviours and attitudes, when in Rome and all that. I just don't think a tourist should come to Thailand and bark at the people as though he was in downtown Moscow or New York Time Square, this aint Kansas or Kiev.

Yes the Ukranian was possibly foolish to pick an argument but the boatman should still get a few years inside. If a Thai pisses me off is it ok to beat him to a pulp and then use ' When in Rome ' as a defence ?

Just now, oldlakey said:

With the said members posts

What he said he meant, he went OTT as a insurance some would just pass over it as you have done, by saying sarcasm

Ok, i am far from perfect, i have seen this member post a lot and most of it I certainly like. So this was a bit out of character. But I could be of course be totally wrong as you point out. 

Seems that there are more members who seem to think the tourist was at fault, personally i feel nothing VERBAL would ever justify real violence and a knife attack. 

1 minute ago, joecoolfrog said:

Yes the Ukranian was possibly foolish to pick an argument but the boatman should still get a few years inside. If a Thai pisses me off is it ok to beat him to a pulp and then use ' When in Rome ' as a defence ?

Only if you're Thai or Asian from a similar culture and economic backdrop, as a Westerner it's presumed we are capable of understanding, processing and reacting differently to the scenario that's being presented to us although that's not always a valid assumption!

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Ok, i am far from perfect, i have seen this member post a lot and most of it I certainly like. So this was a bit out of character. But I could be of course be totally wrong as you point out. 

Seems that there are more members who seem to think the tourist was at fault, personally i feel nothing VERBAL would ever justify real violence and a knife attack. 

Difference of opinion on one particular poster thats all no problem

This thread is just opinions nothing else we all have our own

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I kinda suspect it was a knife defence rather than a knife attack, but who here knows for sure.

1 hour ago, newatthis said:

You may be right, but it still doesn't justify the use of a knife, if the report is true.

49 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

So, you're legitimizing attacking someone with a knife ? 

ALWAYS a sucker punch or weaponry, and pack fighting.

disgusting!!

We don't have the facts to know really who is at fault for creating this situation. We don't know who started the fight or for what reason. All we know is that there was a fight.

I'm always amazed at the schoolyard mentality I see here. In a fight, there are no rules. None.

Note to self and tourist, Never, Ever piss someone off especially 1) when you cannot speak their language fluently  2) that person is in a position over your life, i.e. boat crew 3)  You are on vacation/holiday; relax. As far as the agency that owns or manages the crew, shame on you for not educating your crew to the fact that you do not try to kill or cut people when you have an argument. But of course this is the Land of Smiles so let's just keep smiling.

Not in my world it doesn't but I recognise that in their world it does.

Is there a pamphlet for tourists that tell them that never rep;y to a Thai if he shouts at you

Do not ever complain about anything or you may be killed

Do not come here wearing jewelry you will get hurt--maybe seriously.

If a Thai tries to sell you something---BUY IT---it could save your life

If a Thai asks you for money,don't ask what for just give it to him or you may 

spend weeks in Hospital

That should bring the Tourist numbers up a bit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Wonderful image for tourists visiting Thailand again! There are so many "hotheads" here that incidents of this nature are common in most tourist areas. The problems that exist here must be addressed as lots of misunderstandings cause grevious bodily harm to unsuspecting individuals that come on holiday here. I don't know the answer to this major problem here ... it's an underlying problem that seems to be ignored, but everyone is aware of it. I think the big problem is the "loss of face", which is no big deal in europe as we can accept mistakes, apologise & move on ............ here it immediately turns into aggression & assault for most tourists, which is upsetting. Anger management is certainly the answer, but who in Thailand could advise & control all the "hotheads"? It certainly leaves bad memories for most & vowing never to return is going to ruin the tourist industry in the long term. Thailand must up the stakes, get tough with fines & jail terms ......... it's far too lenient after the fact & perpetrators are getting away with serious crimes only to repeat their aggression again on the streets ...... appalling.  

On the surface you'd side with the Ukranian, a poor innocent tourist who complained about late departure and chastised the boatman, the boatman should learn to manage criticism and to practise effective customer complaint management you'll perhaps say! My money, however, is on the boatman not being at fault, cultural gap, behaviours and attitudes, when in Rome and all that. I just don't think a tourist should come to Thailand and bark at the people as though he was in downtown Moscow or New York Time Square, this aint Kansas or Kiev.

While you may have a point but 'slashing' someone's arm is hardly conducive to boatman-customer understanding.

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Only if you're Thai or Asian from a similar culture and economic backdrop, as a Westerner it's presumed we are capable of understanding, processing and reacting differently to the scenario that's being presented to us although that's not always a valid assumption!

The problem is that this cultural propensity to violent rage is , understandably , not heavily publicised . TAT likes to promote Thailand as a nation of happy , smiley people , this we know is not always the case.

Most of us learn through experience and I would never have a heated argument with a local now , but I did 20 years ago on my first trip.

I didn't realise it was a cultural norm for Phuket tuk tuk drivers to rip off and abuse their customers , he didn't realise I was too ignorant to know that I wasn't expected to fight back and rearange his facial features.

Every Nation has its own , often boorish , cultural features , but cutting up a tourist oversteps the mark.

If a country is going to excuse violence as a cultural norm then it should be transparent about the fact , not promote itself as a tropical Disneyland.

So you condone the violence. Okay.

1 hour ago, Jim walker said:

Tourists should know that this is normal behaviour of thai people in most complaints departments and if they don’t like it go to Vietnam 

...where they tend to stab rather than slash bolshy, arrogant, gobby tourists.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Sometimes all you can do is voice your displeasure. I have done the same when the ferry i reserved turned out to be a speed boat even after i confirmed a few times that it was a ferry. I can handle a speed boat trip easy but with bad weather my mom who was traveling too hurts a lot because of the impacts of the waves. 

So after having booked a trip by ferry and we got put into a speedboat I did make some comments about cheating and bad customer service. I am not one to complain easy but I really went out of my way to book a ferry ticket and got a speedboat. Yea i voiced displeasure.. after reading this i realize it might not have been the best thing.. but still.. I don't always accept everything here.

And those speedboats (with 3 200hp outboard engines) go full speed over the waves, jumping from one to another.  The one i took even thought it was cool to go very close to the rocks at full speed...

And it was overloaded as well plus had holes in the side and cracks in the frame.

The article in the OP is great, it's got all the ingredients to ensure clicks get maximised, the islands in Thailand and a farang getting slashed by a knife-wielding manic local, outstanding, the Ukrainian equivalent of the Sun and The Express will be on this story almost certainly.

But set aside the tabloid journalism for a moment and consider the evidence, for those of you who have any substantial experience of Thailand I would ask, how many Thai's have you ever come across here who under any circumstances that you've ever been involved in here, has come at you with weapon for no apparent cause! For my part, I've lived here full time for over 16 years and I've never once met such a person nor have I ever heard of one. As a second challenge, I would ask you to think about the politest nationalities on earth and grade them down to the rudest, ask yourself where Eastern Europeans fall on your list. Again, for my part, my first-hand experience of being around Russian tourists in Thailand has not been the most pleasant, I find them often to be coarse and rude but maybe I've just been unlucky and your experiences may be different.

So when I read the story in the OP I think to myself, hmmm, there's a bunch of important detail missing to complete this picture but I'm certain which side the Sun and Express readers will come down on because it's just another opportunity bash Thailand. Sure what the local did was OTT and there's no question about that, but is it understandable to a degree, indeed it is, after all, it's not as though we're in a Western country where all tourist facing customer service people are trained and monitored, we're in the Third World for gods sake, at least that's what many posters like to call it here and you can't have it both ways!.

Are you sure this is not a case of a tourist not taking responsibility for their own (mis)behaviour?

complaining is not illegal. slashing people with knives is, unless in self-defense. 

Just now, simoh1490 said:

Agreed, how do we know it wasn't just that?

We don't know anything. there's two stories, one says he complained, the other says he didn't do anything at all. so most likely he complained.

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So you condone the violence. Okay.

Only you will know how you could have arrived at that conclusion based on what I wrote alone, for the rest of us it will forever be a mystery!

All to do with losing face last resort . on the other hand i have been embarrist by some tourist complaining in restaurants and can see why they get annoyed .saying that it doesn't justify  an attack with a knife totally wrong and now you HAVE lost face same on you 

50 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Nice bit of victim-blaming there, with a sprinkling of the good old 'racism of lower expectations' to boot.

So us whiteys will just have to bear the occasional knife in the arm since we are enlightened creatures while Thais and SE Asians are free to abuse us because it is their wonderful precious culture and it is in their nature to do so? Amazing. Maybe that is the world you want to live in. I certainly don't, and I would be so bold as to assume that most Thais wouldn't want to live in that world either.

One of the greatest mechanisms of Western civilizations is a justice system that (theoretically) should apply equally to everyone across all parameters. That is what needs to be implement here and EVERYONE would be better off for it.

Archived