Boat crew arrested after slashing Ukrainian tourist

webfact

2 hours ago, newatthis said:

You may be right, but it still doesn't justify the use of a knife, if the report is true.

True - but I can also see how a typically smaller Thai would be looking for some sort of 'equalizer' when dealing with an aggressive much larger man. [If that was the case, and we don't know with certainty the details of what happened here]

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, newatthis said:

You may be right, but it still doesn't justify the use of a knife, if the report is true.

Really, if a small Thai guy is being threatened by a young big foreigner he has no right to defend himself by whatever means is available to him, interesting line of thought.

6 minutes ago, cat handler said:

Really, if a small Thai guy is being threatened by a young big foreigner he has no right to defend himself by whatever means is available to him, interesting line of thought.

...and a bloody great machete just happens to be available?

6 minutes ago, Docno said:

True - but I can also see how a typically smaller Thai would be looking for some sort of 'equalizer' when dealing with an aggressive much larger man. [If that was the case, and we don't know with certainty the details of what happened here]

6 minutes ago, cat handler said:

I'm not a big man and I'm an elderly man now, so following your logic I would be able to use a knife if threatened by a younger, bigger more aggressive Thai.

52 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

Is there a pamphlet for tourists that tell them that never rep;y to a Thai if he shouts at you

Do not ever complain about anything or you may be killed

Do not come here wearing jewelry you will get hurt--maybe seriously.

If a Thai tries to sell you something---BUY IT---it could save your life

If a Thai asks you for money,don't ask what for just give it to him or you may 

spend weeks in Hospital

That should bring the Tourist numbers up a bit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

AGREE! We must complain or it will get worse and worse....... and it will be unbearable to live here!!!!

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

On the surface you'd side with the Ukranian, a poor innocent tourist who complained about late departure and chastised the boatman, the boatman should learn to manage criticism and to practise effective customer complaint management you'll perhaps say! My money, however, is on the boatman not being at fault, cultural gap, behaviours and attitudes, when in Rome and all that. I just don't think a tourist should come to Thailand and bark at the people as though he was in downtown Moscow or New York Time Square, this aint Kansas or Kiev.

No matter what initiated or caused this outburst of anger, there is no way to react to it with a knife....... these people will never learn and it only gets worse....... 

On the surface you'd side with the Ukranian, a poor innocent tourist who complained about late departure and chastised the boatman, the boatman should learn to manage criticism and to practise effective customer complaint management you'll perhaps say! My money, however, is on the boatman not being at fault, cultural gap, behaviours and attitudes, when in Rome and all that. I just don't think a tourist should come to Thailand and bark at the people as though he was in downtown Moscow or New York Time Square, this aint Kansas or Kiev.

True but you can also get slashed back home for alot less than that so be glad your in the land of smiles 

36 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

But set aside the tabloid journalism for a moment and consider the evidence, for those of you who have any substantial experience of Thailand I would ask, how many Thai's have you ever come across here who under any circumstances that you've ever been involved in here, has come at you with weapon for no apparent cause! For my part, I've lived here full time for over 16 years and I've never once met such a person nor have I ever heard of one. As a second challenge, I would ask you to think about the politest nationalities on earth and grade them down to the rudest, ask yourself where Eastern Europeans fall on your list. Again, for my part, my first-hand experience of being around Russian tourists in Thailand has not been the most pleasant, I find them often to be coarse and rude but maybe I've just been unlucky and your experiences may be different.

But this type of report does seem to be becoming more commonplace maybe the situation in Thailand and the anger from locals to tourists / expats is on the increase. I have not spent a huge amount of time in Thailand but i have witnessed a few events of aggression from Thais to tourists / expats. One recent attack  i witnessed was completely unprovoked another was mild provocation.

The idea of not complaining is quite ridiculous. What if a speedboat is being sailed dangerously and putting yourself or family at risk. What about being on  (a package tour mini van trip) from airport to resort on your first holday in Thailand and the driver is travelling like a loony at breakneck speeds through crossroads / red lights etc. It happened to me on my first trip here!  Yes of  course don't say anything in case the driver pulls a knife from the glove compartment and attacks you. OK we don't know the full story in this case  but you do appear to be defending the indefensible.

So, it is OK to reply to an alleged VERBAL assault by the passenger (a customer)with a knife attack?

3 hours ago, hgma said:

ALWAYS a sucker punch or weaponry, and pack fighting.

disgusting!!

Seriously? What do you think, a challenge, shake hands, Queensbury rules and shake hands again afterwards?

An Italian-American colleague of mine once put it succinctly - "they're ain't no such thing as a fair fight".

We don't know the full circumstances here yet. One saying it was an argument one saying not, a seemingly random attack. 

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Seriously? What do you think, a challenge, shake hands, Queensbury rules and shake hands again afterwards?

An Italian-American colleague of mine once put it succinctly - "they're ain't no such thing as a fair fight".

We don't know the full circumstances here yet. One saying it was an argument one saying not, a seemingly random attack. 

yes true we dont know if he hit the boatman

12 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

So, it is OK to reply to an alleged VERBAL assault by the passenger (a customer)with a knife attack?

Nope. Resorting to violence is wrong. However, if some person in an heated argument, whose young, fit and strong looking, makes to grab or assault me first, I will try and stop him in any way I can. If that means using some tool, so be it.

22 minutes ago, TMNH said:

More succintly, I question whether "any" tourists wold go to a place where their lives are in jeopardy. Not downtown Moscow.....the reality is that Thailand is not a nice place to visit....period!

So you won't be visiting then. Ah well, don't think you'll be missed!

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Nope. Resorting to violence is wrong. However, if some person in an heated argument, whose young, fit and strong looking, makes to grab or assault me first, I will try and stop him in any way I can. If that means using some tool, so be it.

its hard to understand but some people can give it out but cannot take it 

What? Are you advocating you'd just stand there and let someone assault you?

try to understand what someone is writing , i said some people can give i out but they cannot take it when you retaliate is that simple enough for you ?

Just now, hottrader77 said:

is that why the uk alone has 1 million tourists come to thailand in 1 year 

What? I responded to a poster who said that the reality is Thailand is not a nice place to visit.

Are you responding to his/her post or mine? If the latter, do you have comprehension problems?

What? I responded to a poster who said that the reality is Thailand is not a nice place to visit.

Are you responding to his/her post or mine? If the latter, do you have comprehension problems?

i was responding to his when he said thailand is not a nice place 

Just now, hottrader77 said:

try to understand what someone is writing , i said some people can give i out but they cannot take it when you retaliate is that simple enough for you ?

I can read perfectly what is written. Nonsensical prose, poorly written may not have clear meaning though. Still don't understand your response in the context of my post to which you replied.

Btw, it is accepted that it is the responsibility of the communicator to communicate clearly. 

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

"I just don't think a tourist should come to Thailand and bark at the people as though he was in downtown Moscow or New York Time Square, this aint Kansas or Kiev".

He did that, did he?

1 hour ago, Genmai said:

Nice bit of victim-blaming there, with a sprinkling of the good old 'racism of lower expectations' to boot.

So us whiteys will just have to bear the occasional knife in the arm since we are enlightened creatures while Thais and SE Asians are free to abuse us because it is their wonderful precious culture and it is in their nature to do so? Amazing. Maybe that is the world you want to live in. I certainly don't, and I would be so bold as to assume that most Thais wouldn't want to live in that world either.

One of the greatest mechanisms of Western civilizations is a justice system that (theoretically) should apply equally to everyone across all parameters. That is what needs to be implement here and EVERYONE would be better off for it.

Blah blah blah! :saai:

30 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

You managed to turn the word "complained" into a verbal assault, what if that complaining was something a lot more than just verbal, or what if that "verbal assault" was threatening, intimidating and plain frightening, it clearly wasn't a level of complaint that went along the lines of "gee, this boats a little late, do you think we'd get moving please"!

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Oh no. Not the boatman's fault. He lost his temper and was forced to slash the tourist. There was just no other possible outcome.

20 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Oh no. Not the boatman's fault. He lost his temper and was forced to slash the tourist. There was just no other possible outcome.

How do we know he wasn't defending himself against a much bigger person who was being violent.

3 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Time for the TAT to counter the news with an article of a good Samaritan helping a foreign granny to cross Sukhumvit.

I feel a flower basket coming on with a goodwill 'Welcome to Thailand' group photo shoot by TAT staff ensuring tourists always feel welcomed at each and every hospital with their Farang money :passifier:......... 

'

Archived