Boat crew arrested after slashing Ukrainian tourist

webfact

1 minute ago, ScotBkk said:

I feel a flower basket coming on with a goodwill 'Welcome to Thailand' group photo shoot by TAT staff ensuring tourists always feel welcomed at each and every hospital with their Farang money :passifier:......... 

'

At the rate of aggression against tourists, they should give them to everyone on arrival at the airport !

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

On the surface you'd side with the Ukranian, a poor innocent tourist who complained about late departure and chastised the boatman, the boatman should learn to manage criticism and to practise effective customer complaint management you'll perhaps say! My money, however, is on the boatman not being at fault, cultural gap, behaviours and attitudes, when in Rome and all that. I just don't think a tourist should come to Thailand and bark at the people as though he was in downtown Moscow or New York Time Square, this aint Kansas or Kiev.

Yes, the Ukrainian wanted the boat to leave on time, fair enough and the Thai just thought that he was being abusive and confrontational . 

8 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

I feel a flower basket coming on with a goodwill 'Welcome to Thailand' group photo shoot by TAT staff ensuring tourists always feel welcomed at each and every hospital with their Farang money :passifier:......... 

Known as the TAT hokey-kokey :smile:

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, the Ukrainian wanted the boat to leave on time, fair enough and the Thai just thought that he was being abusive and confrontational . 

Indeed, I don't know about other posters but I see examples of similar types of near-miss confrontations on a fairly frequent basis whenever I'm in a tourist area. The most recent one I saw was an American bodybuilder type who was very large and was actually trying to be helpful to the young guy who ran the bike rental agency, the kid had misunderstood what the farang had said and he felt obliged to try and have a go at the farang because his female partner was stood there. It was comical in many ways because one was so big and the other so puny yet it could have been nasty had the female partner not restrained the lad - and it was all down to verbal and non-verbal communication and face.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Not in my world it doesn't but I recognise that in their world it does.

but it doesn’t mean their world is the right one!

if you work in anything tourism-related, the world is the one of your customer in that moment!

the customer is the one who pay your salary, btw...

There is absolutely no excuse for a person to pull a knife on another person and cut them unless  the Ukrainian had a weapon such as a knife or a gun and if he did it would have been reported.  I seriously doubt that a person yelling at you; even speaking with vulgarities constitutes  the right of self defense. In any civilized society slashing with a knife such as happened is considered assault or even attempted murder.

It's time the Thai authorities started jailing the perpetrators of this type of incident as a deterrent.  People in general both Thai and Non Thai need to learn how to control their anger.It's called being mature.

Just now, mrblue said:

but it doesn’t mean their world is the right one!

if you work in anything tourism-related, the world is the one of your customer in that moment!

the customer is the one who pay your salary, btw...

Indeed it doesn't mean their world is right, the important part to remember however is that it is their world and we're visitors to it.

And your point about customer service etc is also only half correct. Even in the West there are limits to what a service supplier must tolerate and those limits are being reduced all the time. It is entirely possible that the Ukranian man could have made all manner of demands on the Thai guy without him even getting annoyed, demands that would be considered to be OTT by Western standards. BUT, if the Ukranian man talks to the Thai disrespectfully, threatens him makes him lose face, things that would be just about passable sometimes in the West, those things will get a person in serious trouble here.

However you spin the story and some are doin g a great job of it, it is NOT ORMAL behaviour in Thailand, but it is the only way THAIS react to any form of CRITICISM , either attack or do nothing , on this occasion the little man felt that a knife was the only option, as for medical bills, I sincerely hope the Tour Company or the Boat has insurance , because I am sure I would not pay a bloody penny. Nor should the Ukranian. 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No need to be so hard-line , aggressive and confrontational , Simoh was just making a point that things are different between here and back home

tell it like it is .........or say nothing , that is universal 

On the surface you'd side with the Ukranian, a poor innocent tourist who complained about late departure and chastised the boatman, the boatman should learn to manage criticism and to practise effective customer complaint management you'll perhaps say! My money, however, is on the boatman not being at fault, cultural gap, behaviours and attitudes, when in Rome and all that. I just don't think a tourist should come to Thailand and bark at the people as though he was in downtown Moscow or New York Time Square, this aint Kansas or Kiev.

"Your money" doesn't really justify what happened, even if you won your bet and the wild assumptions were true, culture or otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Your money is worth nothing if you were not there and witnessed the incident. Your post is rife with opunion, quesswork and fortune telling. In other words...meaningless.

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Yes he could but he didn't, instead, he followed a path that he understands within his culture, if you are verbally abusive, potentially threatening (assumption) and cause him to lose face in public, he will retaliate the way he knows how. And sure he carries a knife (assumption), he works on a boat, in other countries people carry guns, many quite openly and legally, what's the difference?

Don't  bring a  knife to a  gun fight, that's the difference.

12 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Your money is worth nothing if you were not there and witnessed the incident. Your post is rife with opunion, quesswork and fortune telling. In other words...meaningless.

Er, umm, it's what people do on social networks, they express opinions about articles that are posted, otherwise, what are we supposed to do, write, that's nice, or maybe write nothing, or perhaps just read the article and move on, saying nothing, that way TVF would be a series of one post threads! But here's the thing, if you had an opinion you could post it too, it works just like that, if however you don't why bother posting at all!!!

Going to try and not jump to any conclusion since the Unkranian and the boat crewmen are the only ones who know what really happened and why...

but the Ukranian probably isn't as innocent as he makes himself out to be.... unless the boatman is severely imbalanced you don't know cutting people over something as little as someone complaining over a late departure.

3 hours ago, newatthis said:

I'm not a big man and I'm an elderly man now, so following your logic I would be able to use a knife if threatened by a younger, bigger more aggressive Thai.

Possibly. It all comes down to the notion of what is a 'fair fight'. To use an exaggerated example to make the point: Is it 'fair' for an agitated pumped-up 220lb kick-boxer to take on a 110lb shop-owner. If you're the shop-owner, is it going to work if you simply say "sorry, it wouldn't be fair for me to fight you - I'm at too great a disadvantage". Is that going to stop the other person if he's being unreasonable? If the shop-owner feels that he is at threat of severe bodily harm should he just take it, or should he try to protect himself? Or should he take a serious beating? Now you could say he should run away. But if a mismatch of this sort took place on a boat, where to run? [Again, I don't know the details of this case.. and it's very possible that the Thai was the aggressor and/or able to defend himself physically ... I'm just saying the notion of a 'fair fight' is not so straightforward]   

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Rubbish, violence against tourists in Thailand is quite unusual.

OK, you may be right. Tourists on a bus, in a hotel or shopping probably are safer than most. But what about the people that live here (casually or permanently). The people who actually interact with the locals on a day to day basis. I think if they weighed in here we'd get a their perspective of what Thai people are really like. I'll bet dollars to donuts that they would reveal the Thai to be two faced, cold hearted criminally minded filthy louts. Unless, of course, you're showering them (the Thais) with money (or the possibility of such) you will find that that they are thugs and mindless scum, men and women alike. Constantly getting drunk while deriving ways of parting you from your money. And the law protects them. Because the law is part of the problem. You will never see the the Thai justice system met out punishment to the Thai the same as they would met out punishment to the "Farang".  Thais get a slap on the wrist while milking the Farang for all they're worth.

Would the Thai use the term "Farang" outside of Thailand, in public? It's like calling someone Nigger. It's demeaning and downright rude.

Why do you think that Europe and the United states blanketly refuse to grant visas for most Thai? Exempt are the Thai that have a guarantor or who are flush with money.

Take the Shinawats for example, a real shining example of what Thai people are like, underhanded, self serving  low lifes, that have no use for anyone but themselves. 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

No need to be so hard-line , aggressive and confrontational , Simoh was just making a point that things are different between here and back home

No he is not he is continually arguing on behalf of the person who appears (quite strongly) to be the perpetrator. At the same time he has been insulting to Russian / Eastern European.people. 

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Nope. Resorting to violence is wrong. However, if some person in an heated argument, whose young, fit and strong looking, makes to grab or assault me first, I will try and stop him in any way I can. If that means using some tool, so be it.

At age 11 , on the eve of starting Grammar school , my father showed me how to tie a Windsor knot and gave me the following advice ; 

" If anyone tries to bully you , thump them , if they are bigger than you or in a gang , pick up a lump of wood and clout them "

..lol

The odd thing is he was a mild chap , never saw him ever argue with anybody let alone fight them.

3 minutes ago, Top Chef said:

OK, you may be right. Tourists on a bus, in a hotel or shopping probably are safer than most. But what about the people that live here (casually or permanently). The people who actually interact with the locals on a day to day basis. I think if they weighed in here we'd get a their perspective of what Thai people are really like. I'll bet dollars to donuts that they would reveal the Thai to be two faced, cold hearted criminally minded filthy louts. Unless, of course, you're showering them (the Thais) with money (or the possibility of such) you will find that that they are thugs and mindless scum, men and women alike. Constantly getting drunk while deriving ways of parting you from your money. And the law protects them. Because the law is part of the problem. You will never see the the Thai justice system met out punishment to the Thai the same as they would met out punishment to the "Farang".  Thais get a slap on the wrist while milking the Farang for all they're worth.

Would the Thai use the term "Farang" outside of Thailand, in public? It's like calling someone Nigger. It's demeaning and downright rude.

Why do you think that Europe and the United states blanketly refuse to grant visas for most Thai? Exempt are the Thai that have a guarantor or who are flush with money.

Take the Shinawats for example, a real shining example of what Thai people are like, underhanded, self serving  low lifes, that have no use for anyone but themselves. 

I've lived here full time for the past 16 years, I think I've weighed in enough!

And your perception of what Thai people are really like and how the Thai legal system treats them versus farangs is way out of whack. Maybe those are your experiences of the Thai people you have met here on holiday or whilst in parts of Issan but they are not mine nor are they the experiences of anyone who has lived here for any period of time.

The Thai word farang is only derogatory to some Westerners, it's the word in their language that they use to refer to white westerners, they don't have a widely understood alternative word in common use.

7 minutes ago, Gruff said:

No he is not he is continually arguing on behalf of the person who appears (quite strongly) to be the perpetrator. At the same time he has been insulting to Russian / Eastern European.people. 

If you have a problem with the challenges I've raised, raise them to me and I'll answer them for you. And how is it that the Thai is quite strongly the perp., what do you read in the article that convinces you of him being at fault, or is this simply your anti-Thai bias coming out!

2 minutes ago, Gruff said:

I am not looking for any answers from you i don't value your opinions in this thread.

I understand that you don't value any challenge to what is perceived to be the status quo view of Thai people, aka, always in the wrong for everything, despite the absence of proof.

Archived