Chiang Rai people felt vibrations of Myanmar earthquakes and aftershocks

webfact

Chiang Rai people felt vibrations of Myanmar earthquakes and aftershocks

By ThaiPBS

chiangrai-town.jpg

A series of earthquakes and aftershocks hit Myanmar on Saturday and Sunday with their vibrations being felt by people in several districts of Chiang Rai.

The Thai Meteorological Department’s Seismological Bureau reported that at 4.23 pm on Saturday (Feb 3), an earthquake measured at 2.1 on the Richter scale struck at the depth of one kilometer in Wiang Chai district followed by an aftershock which was felt in Wiang Chai, Muang, Mae Lao, Mae Chan, Mae Sai, Wiang Chiang Rung, Phan and Chiang Saen districts.  

Several resident said they felt dizziness, saw tables shaking and glass windows vibrating. There were no reports of damage.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chiang-rai-people-felt-vibrations-myanmar-earthquakes-aftershocks/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-05

I was on the roof of a building in Chiang Rai city center at the 10:29pm quake... there were about 20 people at the Sook Hostel rooftop bar - only me and the lady sitting next to me noticed the whole building swaying back and forth for a few seconds... we both burst out laughing after it stopped moving... a very interesting sensation... the point being that it was way more than "vibrations" as mentioned in the title of the topic. :-)

Archived