Video: Nurse thrown in the air 30 meters as "brakes fail" - but somehow she lives

webfact

Video: Nurse thrown in the air 30 meters as "brakes fail" - but somehow she lives

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CCTV footage from the north east of Thailand showed what happened at an intersection in Nong Bua Lamphu at the weekend.

A nurse was waiting innocently at the lights on her motorcycle when a Nissan comes hurtling down the road, cuts inside and smashes into the back of her at speed.

She is propelled some thirty meters into the intersection.

No one at the scene seems to be paying the victim much attention, perhaps assuming that she is dead. In fact someone looks at the damage to the front of the car first.

But Daily News reported that the victim - Patchanok Poynork, 23, a nurse at the local hospital - survived. After being taken to Nong Bua Lamphu hospital on Saturday she was then transferred to Udon.

The driver of the Nissan, Wannapatsorn Lakun, 38, said she was on her way home from Udon. She applied the brakes but they didn't work - she had no idea why, she claimed to police.

She has been charged with negligent driving causing injury.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-05

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She was wearing a helmet.

Yes it is amazing as no one even goes anywhere near this poor woman.

The driver was obviously speeding and not paying attention to the road, not slowing down while approaching the intersection until it is too late. 

lets hope this poor woman survives.

And this is why I always hug the far left side of the road while waiting at a intersection and watch my rear view mirror the whole time watching approaching traffic.

Speeding, not paying attention, playing on the phone, etc. then, after impact, the brakes miraculously work again...??? <deleted>! 

I'm appalled that the damage to the car was their main concern - never mind the injured person spread out on the road. The cop didn't exactly break a sweat running over to the scene / victim either. 

It's scary to think you could be injured or killed while waiting at a traffic light... 

I love driving and riding motorbikes, but videos like this make me want to buy an army tank - purely for the added protection. 

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I wonder if the cops ever check the brakes,after someone

has had an accident and blamed brake failure, when really

it's obvious that its Brain failure.

regards Worgeordie

Just an assumption by me, but maybe that's not relevant in Thai law . It could be that she is charged with negligent driving and and if the reason is brake or brain failure wouldn't make a difference regarding the punishment or fine.

1 minute ago, djayz said:

The cop didn't exactly break a sweat running over to the scene / victim either. 

I think the cops usually don't know how to handle a situation like this, because nobody ever teaches them. You can see this in many different kind of videos, there is an unexpected, maybe dangerous situation, where you would clearly expect the police to help / intervene, but they just stand there and watch, because they have no idea what to do.

Excellent policing there, firstly he ensure the safety of the other people and the injured, he checks the injured lady and administers first aid after first ensuring the safety of all other people there including himself.

Brilliant all round I say, all too often the Thai police are admonished by posters for their failings but this guy deserves promotion for his professionalism. 

:stoner:

15 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

She was wearing a helmet.

Yes it is amazing as no one even goes anywhere near this poor woman.

The driver was obviously speeding and not paying attention to the road, not slowing down while approaching the intersection until it is too late. 

lets hope this poor woman survives.

And this is why I always hug the far left side of the road while waiting at a intersection and watch my rear view mirror the whole time watching approaching traffic.

I do the same. Try to make the space on the left as narrow as I can to stop the pricks trying to squeeze to the front.

'Uuii!', "Oii!', "Uhh!" - useless pack of idiots all around! No one helps the lady on the floor in dire need! In my country all of them would be prosecuted for failure to help but in Thailand this is normal. It's about time the government introduces a proper driving test including first aid course so nobody can claim that they didn't know how to help the victim.

I am really proud on Germany in this matter. We have a lot of traffic and cars but strict regulations are enforces  to achieve a quite low number of traffic deaths in relation to our population. 

One can only prey that he will never have an accident here.

I'm sure a thorough investigation will prove the car driver had her head down looking at her phone. Phone records (and possibly CCTV) would prove this. Unfortunately, the incident would have to happen in another country for the driver to be charged with dangerous driving, causing death. I can't imagine the poor victim will survive this.

Is it any wonder road fatalities in January soared 50% over the year-ago January. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The driver of the Nissan, Wannapatsorn Lakun, 38, said she was on her way home from Udon. She applied the brakes but they didn't work - she had no idea why, she claimed to police.

They say that a bad workman (woman in this case) always blames his tools. But maybe, just maybe one day a Thai driver is going to put their hands up and take responsibility for their own incompetence.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I wonder if the cops ever check the brakes,after someone

has had an accident and blamed brake failure, when really

it's obvious that its Brain failure.

regards Worgeordie

More likely the vacuum has leaked from what should be the brain cavity.

I am not sure many of us would know what to do in a case like this. Hit that hard and sent 30m just where would the average citizen start with first aid. And yes, her helmet flew off, not attached properly which is often the case. Brake failure? So what was that screech? That video needs to be shown in class to all Thai schoolkids as a warning about attention, helmet use and safety. 

Excuso brake pads - they only work when it's convenient for you.

I can't get over the reaction of all around.  They just assume that was it for the poor girl.  The cop is a joke.

The driver started squealing the tires while still in the lane behind the car.  Better to veer into the other lane and hit a little motorcycle.  Less damage to the vehicles.  SIGH.

7 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

I am not sure many of us would know what to do in a case like this. Hit that hard and sent 30m just where would the average citizen start with first aid

You are of course not supposed to do anything serious, but just basic things like:

Make sure nobody else crashes into the scene, so he should have just parked his motorbike somewhere on the road, or ask one of the bystanders to do this. Tell everybody else to get off the road, because it's dangerous for them. Call for help (the only thing he was actually doing). Check if she is awake, if she is, tell her to stay calm and to not move, just stay like this (she could suffer spinal damage). Check if she is bleeding anywhere, if it looks serious try to stop it. Then stay with her, tell her that everything will be fine, ambulance is on his way and so on, and pay some attention that no other people are running around on the road.

Actually last week i passed an accident near my home which was similar to this (not as tragic, from my observations the motorbike driver seemed ok, just drunk and some bruises), and i could see that not everybody is as clueless as the police and some Thai people really try to help.

The accident just had happened, no police or ambulance there when i passed there. But there were 2 cars who stopped. One blocked off the road with his car, was making sure that the place is protected, and the other guy was with the motorbike driver, checking if he is ok and talking with him, while waiting for the ambulance.

Archived