Table tennis venue in Pattaya

thailien8

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/11/2018 at 2:29 AM, jerry921 said:

If you do it, make sure your tables have sufficient space for the players to drop back away from the table. Five meters is good, and that doesn't include space where non-players would be walking.

You should probably force players to buy the balls from you rather than expect to loan them like a pool hall, except for the robot table.

Seating for non-players would make it a family attraction.

Ball girls will mostly be in the way. Maybe you only want them there certain hours.

jerry, good comments;  Yes enough space to play is critical.  The empty shops on top floor of The Bay look good for that.  The floor seems usable as is.  

Disagree about making customers buy balls.  I would run it on the pool hall model, pay for table time and drinks only.  Two qualities of balls would be available:  cheap ping pong balls for the hit 'n' gigglers, and quality table tennis balls for the good players.  

Good seating is is important for those who like to watch the action.

With enough space, the ball girls would not be in the way.  They would help the quality of customers' table time by collecting the loose balls and putting them in the basket by the table.  

The many Chinese tourists here could be interested.

On 2/14/2018 at 12:55 AM, thailien8 said:

Congrats norrska, you have successfully killed this thread.  

Enjoy your win.

Not sure why you want to blame others for your own inadequacies?  If your zany idea is so good, then you need to become a better salesman and grow a set!

7 hours ago, thailien8 said:

jerry, good comments;  Yes enough space to play is critical.  The empty shops on top floor of The Bay look good for that.  The floor seems usable as is.  

Disagree about making customers buy balls.  I would run it on the pool hall model, pay for table time and drinks only.  Two qualities of balls would be available:  cheap ping pong balls for the hit 'n' gigglers, and quality table tennis balls for the good players.  

Good seating is is important for those who like to watch the action.

With enough space, the ball girls would not be in the way.  They would help the quality of customers' table time by collecting the loose balls and putting them in the basket by the table.  

The many Chinese tourists here could be interested.

Why would Chinese tourists who can watch some of the best table tennis in the world in their own country, want to watch a bunch of drunkards playing table tennis while on vacation.  Why would anybody want to watch?  Sorry, but this just doesn't make sense.

17 hours ago, norrska said:

Why would Chinese tourists who can watch some of the best table tennis in the world in their own country, want to watch a bunch of drunkards playing table tennis while on vacation.  Why would anybody want to watch?  Sorry, but this just doesn't make sense.

As the self-proclaimed former table tennis champion of Bobby's basement, why would you fail to understand that of the many Chinese tourists here in Pattaya, some would be interested in PLAYING their sport while on holiday, NOT  in watching.  Your silly post just doesn't make sense.

5 hours ago, thailien8 said:

As the self-proclaimed former table tennis champion of Bobby's basement, why would you fail to understand that of the many Chinese tourists here in Pattaya, some would be interested in PLAYING their sport while on holiday, NOT  in watching.  Your silly post just doesn't make sense.

There you go again.  Your idea will never work with this attitude.  How do you know any Chinese tourists would be interested?  Have you done a survey?  Have  you ever seen any playing/watching pingpong "action" as you call it anywhere else? Do you have a business plan?  Your idea sound like the typical barstool plan on the back of a cigarette pack.   Rather than being a nabob of negativity and blaming others for your own inadequacies, get to work and post the business plan here for peer review, and I don't mean the back of a cigarette pack!

10 hours ago, billybog said:

hard to figure out what is really going on...at first was thinking this would be fun once a week or so...but maybe I am just not up with the satire these days...just dont know.

billy, what is really going on with this thread is that I have been trying to do as norrska, in his infinite wisdom, suggested in post 39, in which he so wisely asks "Have you done a survey?"  

I started this thread as an attempt at a survey.  I wrote the OP as I did because I wanted to see if anyone would think this venue was already open and operating, and show interest in possibly being a customer.

Some did.  I would have.

I think you need to start off minimal and see how it goes, especially if you've never run a business before. Compare the cost per hour vs other available non-sex non-alcoholic entertainment such as movies, billiards, miniature golf, indoor rock climbing, laser tag, etc. I suspect 100B/hr will be ok, but you'll soon find out it's not sufficient to cover the constant cost of ball breakage (when I used to play long ago the highest-quality balls would only last a few hours before cracking).

Try to figure out how many tables you'd need to break even if you have just a single employee monitoring the whole thing. No ball girls, and not considering recouping your investment but just breakeven against ongoing running costs for rent, the employee, electricity, etc. Start off with that number of tables, assuming that it's best a coin flip whether you end up losing your entire initial investment or not. Work as many hours yourself as you can to keep employee costs down. Get a handle on which hours it pays to be open and which hours don't provide enough business to cover salary. Re-figure your break-evens after you know this. Don't start in a high-rent dream location. Try to invest as little in the actual location as you can, because you're hoping to move. Buy movable furnishings and light fixtures, or cheap ones.

Once you prove that you can get enough customers to carry the business you can add another table or two and begin to think about the fluff: that practice robot and other employees (ball girls), and eventually moving up to a better location.

9 hours ago, thailien8 said:

billy, what is really going on with this thread is that I have been trying to do as norrska, in his infinite wisdom, suggested in post 39, in which he so wisely asks "Have you done a survey?"  

I started this thread as an attempt at a survey.  I wrote the OP as I did because I wanted to see if anyone would think this venue was already open and operating, and show interest in possibly being a customer.

Some did.  I would have.

Instead of obsessing about me, why not come up with a non-barstool business plan.  Post it here and we'll review for you.   As it stands right now, if I have a VC fund of a few hundred million, no way I throw any money at this idea, as you seem too sensitive to questions, lack details, and are unwilling to go beyond the back of a cigarette pack stage.

On 2/17/2018 at 11:44 PM, Jingthing said:

I like the idea but I don't think many people would pay large amounts of money to play ping pong. Compared to full on tennis where people do often pay high fees. 

JT, thanks for damning me with faint praise.  But no worries sir.  I'm a fan of your hit 'n' run thread.

Tennis in Pattaya is indeed more expensive than 100 baht an hour.  And access to tennis courts is controlled by big hotels, no free public courts here like there are in USA.  

Pool, snooker and bowling are more than 100/hour.  Don't get me started on golf.  I am not understanding why you think this is "large amounts of money".

51 minutes ago, thailien8 said:

JT, thanks for damning me with faint praise.  But no worries sir.  I'm a fan of your hit 'n' run thread.

Tennis in Pattaya is indeed more expensive than 100 baht an hour.  And access to tennis courts is controlled by big hotels, no free public courts here like there are in USA.  

Pool, snooker and bowling are more than 100/hour.  Don't get me started on golf.  I am not understanding why you think this is "large amounts of money".

Unnecessarily personalized post. 

I only mentioned tennis and ping pong.

I didn't mention any figures.

It's like you're making up stuff about what I said.

Not appreciated. 

The main obstacle I see for this business to work is that there won't be many sources of income and the expenses would kill it.

In a pool hall is not just the table income, you have lots of people drinking alcohol (expensive), sometimes ordering food, watching sports (while buying loads of drinks).

Table tennis is a sport, I don't think most players will be interested in buying any drinks apart from water. If you sell the water too cheap (~20-30b) you don't make money, if you sell it too expensive customers will avoid the place or will try to bring their own 7/11 water, if you prevent them from doing that you're a greedy evil bastard and there will be people ruining your reputation.

Rent (need lots of space) and electricity (aircon all day) will make this place very expensive to run. I'm assuming the running costs will be over 100k baht per month. Let's say you have 4 tables being used 8h/day each (very optimistic, unreal to be honest) - you'd get 3200b per day from the tables - barely enough to cover the operational costs. 

My conclusion is that this investment would be too risky for too little profit. Speaking as a customer it would be a great place to play no doubt, but it would need prohibitive prices on tables and drinks to pay for its bills. 

In order for it to exist, you need a multi millionaire with a passion for table tennis and a big heart.

3 minutes ago, Justfine said:

TT is a game not a sport.

It's a game and a sport.

I agree people usually don't want to be drunk playing ping pong.

But maybe a beer or two in the setting suggested in this topic. 

It requires a lot of space for a lot of tables but if the rent was low enough, perhaps there is profit potential with requiring a two drink minimum and price water so high that people will choose beer.

I doubt such a venue will attract many world class competition level players anyway.

Next ... 

On 2/20/2018 at 3:43 AM, FarangFB said:

The main obstacle I see for this business to work is that there won't be many sources of income and the expenses would kill it.

In a pool hall is not just the table income, you have lots of people drinking alcohol (expensive), sometimes ordering food, watching sports (while buying loads of drinks).

Table tennis is a sport, I don't think most players will be interested in buying any drinks apart from water. If you sell the water too cheap (~20-30b) you don't make money, if you sell it too expensive customers will avoid the place or will try to bring their own 7/11 water, if you prevent them from doing that you're a greedy evil bastard and there will be people ruining your reputation.

Rent (need lots of space) and electricity (aircon all day) will make this place very expensive to run. I'm assuming the running costs will be over 100k baht per month. Let's say you have 4 tables being used 8h/day each (very optimistic, unreal to be honest) - you'd get 3200b per day from the tables - barely enough to cover the operational costs. 

My conclusion is that this investment would be too risky for too little profit. Speaking as a customer it would be a great place to play no doubt, but it would need prohibitive prices on tables and drinks to pay for its bills. 

In order for it to exist, you need a multi millionaire with a passion for table tennis and a big heart.

FB, thanks for your  post.  I tend to agree.

Maybe a good-hearted millionaire funded this place in Toronto, an inspiration for my OP.  This is beyond my wildest dreams for Pattaya.

http://smashpingpong.ca/

I have seen 3 places come and go in Pattaya for table tennis. First was in the lobby of a hotel that had 2 tables but the Hop's brew house sits in its place now. 2nd was in central hotel near the mikes shopping which had a table. 3rd was a noodle shop on central road that had 5 or 6 tables in the back "high five apartments occupies that now. I stopped playing about 2004 so I have no idea where a place is to play now. About 50% of the players were Thai so they would support it.

Many places like these are hobby businesses and are set up by people with a shared interest and will support it as long as it doesn't cost them too much or becomes a burden. 

Hong Kong used to have some nice table tennis clubs.

8 hours ago, thailien8 said:

FB, thanks for your  post.  I tend to agree.

Maybe a good-hearted millionaire funded this place in Toronto, an inspiration for my OP.  This is beyond my wildest dreams for Pattaya.

http://smashpingpong.ca/

Your welcome.  I am glad to have been of assistance. You never submitted your business plan homework, but some others wisely pointed out fatal flaws in your plan..Back to the drawing board.  Get a new cigarette pack and jot down your next "business" idea while sitting on a bar stool, then post it here for more laughs!

16 hours ago, marinediscoking said:

I have seen 3 places come and go in Pattaya for table tennis. First was in the lobby of a hotel that had 2 tables but the Hop's brew house sits in its place now. 2nd was in central hotel near the mikes shopping which had a table. 3rd was a noodle shop on central road that had 5 or 6 tables in the back "high five apartments occupies that now. I stopped playing about 2004 so I have no idea where a place is to play now. About 50% of the players were Thai so they would support it.

Many places like these are hobby businesses and are set up by people with a shared interest and will support it as long as it doesn't cost them too much or becomes a burden. 

Hong Kong used to have some nice table tennis clubs.

Glad Marine Disco has not yet gone.  

Did some dirty dancing there in the 90s.

This could be a hobby business if people show interest.  

Checked out an empty shophouse space on soi Regional Land, next door to Tigglebitties.  Owner was eager to rent for 10k a month.   Enough space for two tables and a robot in the back room.

My fantasy is of a brightly-lit 3rd-floor ping pong center overlooking the beach, in The Bay currently struggling shopping mall at soi 6.

Their website and email contact are not happening.  Not sure how much rent they want for such a prime location.

Then there is SPiN, in USA, at $29 and $49 an hour.  

That's 900 and 1500 baht.  Guess I can't get by just charging 100.

https://sanfrancisco.wearespin.com/

Found two ping pong tables today. 

One is poolside at the Mercure hotel behind The Avenue on 2nd Road soi 15.  They put it in a bad place.  One player would have to stand on loose decorative stones that would destroy footwork and maybe sprain an ankle.  

Another is is near the pool at Avani hotel at Royal Garden mall.  

Here I got lucky.  Two Chinese tourists were having a hit, so I stopped to watch.  Within five minutes, they were inviting me to play.  

Cheap house paddles and wet floor, but we enjoyed a hit for half an hour until it got too dark to see.  Good exercise and good fun.

But not good conditions.  No backstops, no ball girls, lots of ball chasing into some awkward places.  But it was free.

3 minutes ago, thailien8 said:

Found two ping pong tables today. 

One is poolside at the Mercure hotel behind The Avenue on 2nd Road soi 15.  They put it in a bad place.  One player would have to stand on loose decorative stones that would destroy footwork and maybe sprain an ankle.  

Another is is near the pool at Avani hotel at Royal Garden mall.  

Here I got lucky.  Two Chinese tourists were having a hit, so I stopped to watch.  Within five minutes, they were inviting me to play.  

Cheap house paddles and wet floor, but we enjoyed a hit for half an hour until it got too dark to see.  Good exercise and good fun.

But not good conditions.  No backstops, no ball girls, lots of ball chasing into some awkward places.  But it was free.

Interesting to hear the Chinese angle. 

Are there commercial ping pong playing venues in China?

Today I discovered Decathlon, a huge sports store in Tesco Lotus on North road.  Three kinds of tables at 5.5k, 9k, and a tournament table at 15.5k.  Lots of cheap paddles and balls.

This store would be good to supply my simple plan of a good place to play table tennis in Pattaya, which IMHO is the most fun way of staying in shape, losing weight, and meeting new friends.

10 hours ago, thailien8 said:

Today I discovered Decathlon, a huge sports store in Tesco Lotus on North road.  Three kinds of tables at 5.5k, 9k, and a tournament table at 15.5k.  Lots of cheap paddles and balls.

This store would be good to supply my simple plan of a good place to play table tennis in Pattaya, which IMHO is the most fun way of staying in shape, losing weight, and meeting new friends.

Badminton is much more practical as more venues, more players, and much better fitness.  Muay thai is also a more practical local choice of staying in shape, losing weight, and meeting new friends.  At least you manned up above and admitted the business concept was a fantasy(your words)

Archived