Great news - "miracle" nurse in horrific accident sitting up in bed in hospital

webfact

Great news - "miracle" nurse in horrific accident sitting up in bed in hospital

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The nurse who was hurled into the air when she was hit behind by a motorist in Nong Bua Lamphu in Thailand's north east is sitting up in hospital.

Sanook called her survival miraculous and anyone who saw the accident from CCTV footage might agree.

Patchanok, aged just 23 and a nurse at Nong Bua Lamphu hospital, was propelled thirty meters down the road when a Nissan driven by Wannapatsorn, 38, collided with her as she waited on her motorbike at the lights.

Patchanok was originally taken to her own hospital but then transferred to Udon Hospital where yesterday she was taking water and answering questions relatively normally though she was still in a bleary state.

She had surgery on her spleen that was badly damaged and suffered bruising to her body, face and head but there was no brain damage at all, said doctors.

Sanook repeated what was reported yesterday that Wannapatsorn said that she applied her brakes but somehow they just did not work.

Police have charged her with negligent driving causing serious injury.

Many posters online and on Thaivisa were appalled at the slow response of the police and bystanders at the scene who, perhaps fearing the worst for the motorcyclist, seemed more interested in procedure and the damage to the car than the victim lying helpless in the road.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-06

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope she makes a full recovery soon. I'm delighted to see she's on the mend. 

Hope she has a good lawyer who can negotiate a generous settlement/compensation package with the car driver. 

Extremely fortunate to be alive and apparently compis mentis. I hope she makes a full recovery.

As for the lady that hit her, she really deserves the book to be thrown at her. She very nearly killed an innocent motorist through not paying attention. A car is like a gun. It can kill people when used wrongly. I am not sure that negligent driving causing serious injury is sufficiently serious a charge.

Whilst it is very good that this poor victim is not dead or in a vegetative state, this type of statement always comes out after a horrific and avoidable accident. It is part of the sweeping under the carpet process that always happens because nobody wants to deal with the real issues. "Don't worry, everything is fine now, forget about it, move on, nothing to see here."

27 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Nissan Almera relatively a new car so I bet she stepped on wrong pedal

Nope, she wasn't paying attention and only hit the brakes (which weren't working), after she smashed into the motorbike and the car skidded throwing the young victim ahead of the car. 

Just now, gk10002000 said:

happy to see that.  but the video looked like even though she had a helmet on, it came off before she hit the ground so I don't think she had it done up right.

Are you sure it came off? I posted about this yesterday, saying that I couldn't see clearly if she still had the helmet on, as the hood of her coat was obscuring her head.

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Are you sure it came off? I posted about this yesterday, saying that I couldn't see clearly if she still had the helmet on, as the hood of her coat was obscuring her head.

Around the 5 second mark, the helmet can be seen flying through the air while the unfortunate victim is sliding along the ground.

what great news!  i read the prognosis. no brain damage and although bad spleen a person can live without a spleen..   it didnt mention any spinal damage so that is good. i do wonder if she has any orthopedic issues though that was a nasty hit.  that helmet saved her life for sure as her head hit the windshield. i hope the royal family will help the woman in her medical bills. im so happy for this woman. i hope the video goes viral. in hopes of more wearing helmet. and awareness of dangerous thai roads

5 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Around the 5 second mark, the helmet can be seen flying through the air while the unfortunate victim is sliding along the ground.

yes the helmet came off. but it did its job by hitting the windshield. saving the girls life. more importantly would be to see how her head hit the pavement.

This is great news and I am sure that she is receiving the best of care. A speedy recovery I do hope.

As for the Nit Wit driver, she has been charged, but on the news this morning, it was stated that her 'brake failure' story did not cut it with the cops, so she's off to court next week. Hopefully she gets a charge/fine for the BS as well.

My wife translated to me that the cops have impounded the vehicle for tests, but not her mobile phone, which is a shame. The cops are being vigilant in this case, I guess this will help make up for the lack of 'duty of care' at the initial scene.

58 minutes ago, tifino said:

Award her a car (not a Nissan) 

- to get her off 2 wheels

What a intelligent reply. I won't say anymore because you probably will not understand, you're probably limited just like the driver of that Nissan car.

1 minute ago, GBW said:

This is great news and I am sure that she is receiving the best of care. A speedy recovery I do hope.

As for the Nit Wit driver, she has been charged, but on the news this morning, it was stated that her 'brake failure' story did not cut it with the cops, so she's off to court next week. Hopefully she gets a charge/fine for the BS as well.

My wife translated to me that the cops have impounded the vehicle for tests, but not her mobile phone, which is a shame. The cops are being vigilant in this case, I guess this will help make up for the lack of 'duty of care' at the initial scene.

They could in theory request all usage details from her mobile provider. But there again, this type of evidence in car accidents doesn't seem to have got through to the Thai police yet as important.

11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

She will next time ?

I hope the helmet involved in this accident has been smashed and put in the bin, not saved to be reused when she recovers. Fortunately it did its job once, I wouldn't trust it a second time.

2 hours ago, shady86 said:

Nissan Almera relatively a new car so I bet she stepped on wrong pedal

I bet she stepped on no pedal.

She was totally unaware of the traffic. Her foot just rested on the accelarator.

As soon as she woke up from the noise of the crash

she was able to hit the brake and it worked very well - as seen in the movie

Anyone still believing in brake failure in LOS?

They should make the owner and driver fully responsible for the saftey of the car.

If brake failure is claimed they have to pay for the police to check it. And if not proven

they are proven guilty with all consequences and an extra expensive punishmnent for 

not taking care of the car's safety and for lying

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Nope, she wasn't paying attention and only hit the brakes (which weren't working), after she smashed into the motorbike and the car skidded throwing the young victim ahead of the car. 

Yes it was obvious from the video the brakes worked quite well just prior yo hitting the nurse. Looks like she was not paying attention as she seemed to suddenly swerve to avoid the car in front.

Archived