Great news - "miracle" nurse in horrific accident sitting up in bed in hospital

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dinooz57 said:

Some other good news, she had a visit from two high ranking police who apologised for the other copper's behaviour and said something will be done ( we all know not much) but at least an acknowledgement, visits by the Province Governor, Ministry of Health and Director of the hospital, so hopefully justice will be served. Her recovery is going much better than expected and thanks to all the well wishers I have told her everyone is behind her all the way (except the 'she was in the wrong lane' and 'she didn't do her helmet up' comments) Keep Ya posted.. Cheers Deano.

PS. as far as I am aware the woman hasn't been charged as reported, she has visited Praew twice now and seems genuinely remorseful and saddened.

Kind wishes to her from the whole family. As a nurse she'll know how important it is to get all checked again. She's the hero, please tell her that. Thanks...

Great to hear she is recovered so quickly......but I am really worried the stupid driver may repeat that again because "Police have charged her with negligent driving causing serious injury." sounds not sufficient enough to bring to the justice.

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Are you sure it came off? I posted about this yesterday, saying that I couldn't see clearly if she still had the helmet on, as the hood of her coat was obscuring her head.

I cannot see the helmet coming off either.

13 hours ago, MartinL said:

Around the 5 second mark, the helmet can be seen flying through the air while the unfortunate victim is sliding along the ground.

That's not the helmet.  That's her purse (black) and shoe (white).  I thought the same as you while watching the video at normal speed.  When I slowed it to quarter speed, then paused the video on each successive frame, it was clear that the helmet was still on her head throughout her somersault over the vehicle's roof, while her purse took flight starting at about the same moment her helmet first contacted the windshield.  I have yet to see evidence of its detaching, though it does appear it may have broken into pieces.

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Truly amazing that no-one went to her assistance. T.I.T.

I’m not sure I would have done much either other than secure the area and make sure no further accidents would occur and call the paramedics. Trying to move her may have resulted in greater injury - better to wait for rescue team to arrive. 

I agree the driver wasn’t paying attention to the car in front or the road conditions. Twice now while driving a car I have thought I was going to be rammed by a car from behind, fortunately they noticed just in time. But certainly a ring puckering experience as I braced for impact. 

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Kind wishes to her from the whole family. As a nurse she'll know how important it is to get all checked again. She's the hero, please tell her that. Thanks...

i wonder if the royal family or thai govt will pay all her medical bills?

7 hours ago, dinooz57 said:

As a practising nurse I think she has witnessed enough head trauma to understand the benefits of doing the helmet strap up, as IAMHERE says it was a heavy impact and with the low quality of Thai helmets it is understandable that it came off, it saved her life and that is the main thing.

It didn't have anything to do with saving her life.  The helmet was flying away while she was airborne.  And I wouldn't put any trust or faith on Thais learning a lesson from viewing previous carnage

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

It didn't have anything to do with saving her life.  The helmet was flying away while she was airborne.  And I wouldn't put any trust or faith on Thais learning a lesson from viewing previous carnage

That's not her helmet that you see flying away.  See posts #61 and #67 above.  Try going frame by frame through it yourself and you will likely come to the same conclusion.  She apparently did have her helmet strapped on properly, it took the brunt of the contact with the windshield and roof of the car, then appears to have fractured when she hit the ground.  I would conclude that the helmet did indeed save her life--without it, the video makes it clear she may well have broken her neck on the first impact with the car, even before the potentially skull-cracking contact with the ground 25 meters distant. 

Archived