Razors & Shavers

Andyfez

One of the best razors available here in Thailand (IMHO) is Watsons own brand 5 blade razor.

Samui George put me onto it a couple of years ago, and now gone are the days of the Bic or Gillette II disposable.

It is half the price of the Gillette comparable, and lasts just as long.

Many of you guys must have tried it already.

But there's been a couple of times when this popular product has cleared the shelves.

It says 'made in USA' and I think for this reason it takes time to replenish once their stocks get low.

Watsons at such times have resorted to putting Gillette on special offer, but it's still way more expensive than their own brand version.

In Bangkok the shelves have been bereft of this product for 5 weeks now, but for anyone desperately scraping away with blunt razors, there is an answer!

I ordered Watsons shavers on Lazada 2 days ago. I honestly thought I'd get a message saying they were out of stock.

But no, this morning a Lazada man came knocking at my door with said delivery.

When looking at razors one can see that not everything is getting better over time. The only reason these 1/2/3/4/5 blade disposable safety razors were made by the companies is to make money (For the genitals they are ok, but not for the face).

The best razor is the one that our grandpas used already and it looks like this:

rasierhobel-300x248.jpg

You can get this in cheap made out of plastic in every Big C / Tesco, maybe even 7/11, if you want to try it. If you like it you can go for a better one. I bought mine many years ago in Germany (a Merkur 34C), still as good as new.

Then you can use standard disposable razor blades, the "expensive" ones cost maybe 10THB a piece. (I prefer razor blades from Feather, but there are many other brands, and other people might prefer other brands, so just give different brands a try)

And instead of using the shaving foam out of the bottle you should get a proper shaving brush

41CFFXA3xIL._SY355_.jpg

This should be made out of badger hair, if it's cheap or expensive is not important, as long is its badger hair. You use this together with shaving soap.

Using these things your shaving experience will be far superior and also much cheaper in the long run.

For more details you can just look it up on Google.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

When looking at razors one can see that not everything is getting better over time. The only reason these 1/2/3/4/5 blade disposable safety razors were made by the companies is to make money (For the genitals they are ok, but not for the face).

The best razor is the one that our grandpas used already and it looks like this:

rasierhobel-300x248.jpg

You can get this in cheap made out of plastic in every Big C / Tesco, maybe even 7/11, if you want to try it. If you like it you can go for a better one. I bought mine many years ago in Germany (a Merkur 34C), still as good as new.

Then you can use standard disposable razor blades, the "expensive" ones cost maybe 10THB a piece. (I prefer razor blades from Feather, but there are many other brands, and other people might prefer other brands, so just give different brands a try)

And instead of using the shaving foam out of the bottle you should get a proper shaving brush

41CFFXA3xIL._SY355_.jpg

This should be made out of badger hair, if it's cheap or expensive is not important, as long is its badger hair. You use this together with shaving soap.

Using these things your shaving experience will be far superior and also much cheaper in the long run.

Have you found anywhere that stocks good shaving soap or sticks

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:49 PM, jackdd said:

rasierhobel-300x248.jpg

41CFFXA3xIL._SY355_.jpg

What are you talking about grandfathers for? My first wet razor looked just like that.

:smile:

On 2/6/2018 at 1:49 PM, jackdd said:

rasierhobel-300x248.jpg

41CFFXA3xIL._SY355_.jpg

I've used those, and have the scars to prove it.  Which is why after going to the triple blade safety razors, I've never looked back.

But if you want to go old tech, then go back to this and a good leather strop. 

river-lake-straight-razor-folding-shaving.jpg.44c4978bf026008409448f0467f68665.jpg

Problem is, carry it, and my may find yourself in incarcerated, fined, or both.  Sure, the locals can carry machetes to break out during road rage, but you carry that just for shaving, get searched, and "shake down time on farang criminal" time.  Remember - all foreigners are criminals waiting to be exposed for their evil doings. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, connda said:

I've used those, and have the scars to prove it.  Which is why after going to the triple blade safety razors, I've never looked back.

Exactly my reaction when seeing that post.  To each their own but this safety razor thing seems like a bit of a hipster fad to me, with the benefits always overstated.  

Especially in the morning, right after waking up, the extra safety of 3 or 5 blades is appreciated.

There was a long thread on my guitar forum about it, with proponents pretending Gilette Mach 3 lasts only a week, and then complaining they're too expensive, like it's Gilette's fault.  

If you rinse it clean and dab it dry, you can easily get 2 months out of a Mach 3 or Fusion 5.  I just buy a 2-year supply when I go to the US or when I have visitors from the US.  They end up costing me 2 dollars a blade or something on Amazon.  Including soap I spend maybe 20 dollars a year on shaving.  

I tried off-brand ones and didn't find them as good.  Forgot which ones, but it put me off trying again.  It's silly, but I also prefer the visual design of Gilette's products. 

Edited by ChidlomDweller
  • Like 1

Below is what I use.  Gillette with Feather blades to shave neck.  Braun every third day.  Norelco if the Braun runs out of charge and the Kemei for head and body shaving.  I've tried all the triple and 5 blade things and the Gillette cheap plastic safety razor with Feather blades works the best.  To hold the shaft wrap some rubber bands around it for a good grip.  All of the utensils below are for use in the shower.  

Gillette-Black-Plastic-Safety-Razor.jpg

feather.jpg

braun.jpg

norelco.jpg

kemei.jpg

Edited by xyznot

All my previous issues with razor burn and ingrowing hairs stopped when I ditched multi-blade razors.

I'm shaving with a old school double sided safety razor and using "Rapira Platinum Lux" blades (mail order from Russia on eBay).

The wrapper design looks USSR, but they are consistently sharp, and I find them better than Astra platinum blades.

I use each blade once before disposal.

Can't beat these, $5 from Aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Adjustable-Safety-Razor-Base-for-Shaving-Razor-Base-1-pc-Razor-not-including/32808212289.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.wDOgM4

Ming Shi.jpg

PS

Razor burn is caused by shaving against the grain of your beard. You can't learn to shave by watching adverts or videos, as they all show it wrong.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Thanks 1

The OP said he ordered the Watson shavers from Lazada.

Now I know someone asked for a link and another member kindly provided one, although that was a link to all razors, and there's thirteen pages of them.

Perhaps I missed the Watson ones and they are indeed somewhere on those pages, I don't know?

Has someone got a link specifically to these Watson razors by any any chance?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

The OP said he ordered the Watson shavers from Lazada.

Now I know someone asked for a link and another member kindly provided one, although that was a link to all razors, and there's thirteen pages of them.

Perhaps I missed the Watson ones and they are indeed somewhere on those pages, I don't know?

Has someone got a link specifically to these Watson razors by any any chance?

Thanks.

https://www.lazada.co.th/5-4-27377688.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.7c4d8e1fwIPcdI

35 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Thanks so much for your fast reply.

I see they're being sold for 259 Baht. That seems to be the same price as on the Watsons website here:  http://www.watsons.co.th/watsons-men-5-blade-razor-with-trimmer-blade-cartridge./p/BP_263876?text=razor&page=0   

I wonder how they manage to sell for the same price as Watsons shop?

I have used the Gillette Mach3 for years. I have two spare blades left. (edit: I see 4 blades for this are 549 Baht in Big C)

Going on the positive reviews of the Watsons brand, as I haven't tried one yet it looks like I'll need to buy the blade handle - that comes with one cartridge (also at 259 Baht).

Edited by bluesofa

Just bought myself the feather razor and a pack of blades. Used it for the first time tonight, really smooth shave but I had forgotten just how lethal these 'safety razors' are. I resemble someone out of Friday the Thirteenth movie. But they are cheap so I will persevere.

On 2/6/2018 at 6:32 PM, jackdd said:

You can order it online, just search for it on google

Here is one shop: http://www.siamwetshave.com/en/

But i always get the soap when i'm in Germany, it's just a lot cheaper there.

Crikey!

They sell the Ming Shi razor $5 (ali express), labelled as Merkur Futur (Satin) Safety Razor for 3,600bht.

11 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Crikey!

They sell the Ming Shi razor $5 (ali express), labelled as Merkur Futur (Satin) Safety Razor for 3,600bht.

I'm quite sure that the Ming Shi is a copy of the Merkur :P

Somebody made a review about them: 

So the Ming Shi does indeed seem like a good choice.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

This thread has revived my interest, never bothered with shaving soap, just used hand soap with my Ming Shi razor, but I've just ordered shaving soap and a brush to give it a try, didn't seem expensive.

soap.jpg

Yes I've just ordered a Ming Shi razor, you have saved me money, thank you.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2018 at 1:49 PM, jackdd said:

rasierhobel-300x248.jpg

41CFFXA3xIL._SY355_.jpg

Yeah right ,growing up in the 1950s we all remember the carnage they caused to our dads,grandads,and older brothers.no thanks.