Do Myanmar citizens need a tourist visa for Thailand?

Hello,

My Burmese girlfriend and i are in Cambodia and plan to travel to Thailand, spending under 2 weeks there in all.

All the helpful agents here in Cambodia say she doesn't need a tourist visa because of ASEAN etc, but i'm not so sure due to past experience.

Been trying to call the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh all morning, but no awnser.

Your help on this matter much appreciated. 

15 minutes ago, HamonRye said:

If we fly, would the Thai Immigration require a return/outbound flight ticket for her?

Normally not needed at immigration but the airline could ask for ticket out of the country within 14 days.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Normally not needed at immigration but the airline could ask for ticket out of the country within 14 days.

Cheers,

You know if for some strange reason she did have a problem entering at a Bangkok airport with no visa,  could she just get a thai visa at Thai immigration in the airport?

1 hour ago, HamonRye said:

Cheers,

You know if for some strange reason she did have a problem entering at a Bangkok airport with no visa,  could she just get a thai visa at Thai immigration in the airport?

There will be no problem. She definitely is exempt from getting a visa for a stay of up to 14 days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HamonRye said:

Her only option once she arrives at the airport in Bangkok is to enter visa exempt (which should be automatic in most cases). Cambodian nationals do not qualify for visas on arrival.

• Like 1

Well, i've been trying to convince her to fly rather than overland it, but she's not having it so looks like we are getting her a visa. Just dont make sense spending 60 bucks on a visa rather than flying, but she wins.

One thing we had with one travel agent here is that she told us they needed a bank statement. I'd rather not be giving them my bank statement. Do you think a copy of our receipt of the place we booked in Thailand would suffice, or do they generally not need anything? 

2 hours ago, HamonRye said:

Well, i've been trying to convince her to fly rather than overland it, but she's not having it so looks like we are getting her a visa. Just dont make sense spending 60 bucks on a visa rather than flying, but she wins.

Possibly, she has heard horror-stories about Immigration in Thai airports.  We usually hear the bad-events concerning Western folks entering by air, but Burmese may have their own set of issues in that environment. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HamonRye said:

One thing we had with one travel agent here is that she told us they needed a bank statement.

Yikes! I think that means her bank account, not yours. If she has never had a Thai tourist visa before, the Phnom Penh embassy will usually be satisfied with an itinerary. Perhaps, go to the embassy yourself and figure out your options.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I also have a Myanmar girlfriend and have a further question on this item.  I understand that definitely a Myanmar citizen is exempt from getting a visa for a stay of up to 14 days, provided that she enters Thailand via an international airport (e.g. Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok).  However, is she obliged to also leave the country via international airport again, or can she leave Thailand within 14 days and pass the border in Mae Sai (Thailand) to Tachileik (Myanmar) for example?  

Many thanks for your responses. 

Edited by Peter Plugers
not complete initially

2 hours ago, Peter Plugers said:

I also have a Myanmar girlfriend and have a further question on this item.  I understand that definitely a Myanmar citizen is exempt from getting a visa for a stay of up to 14 days, provided that she enters Thailand via an international airport (e.g. Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok).  However, is she obliged to also leave the country via international airport again, or can she leave Thailand within 14 days and pass the border in Mae Sai (Thailand) to Tachileik (Myanmar) for example?  

Many thanks for your responses. 

Leaving by land is fine.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, BritTim said:

Leaving by land is fine.

Thanks very much for your answer.  Is there a location on internet where this is explicitly mentioned?  Reason for my verification question is that also my girlfriend is not convinced that this is possible, and an alternative would set me back not just 60 bucks... :(

2 hours ago, Peter Plugers said:
On 11/17/2019 at 2:42 AM, BritTim said:

Leaving by land is fine.

Thanks very much for your answer.  Is there a location on internet where this is explicitly mentioned?  Reason for my verification question is that also my girlfriend is not convinced that this is possible, and an alternative would set me back not just 60 bucks... ????

The logic is similar to that for those who get a visa on arrival (15 days available only at selected entry points). Immigration wants to screen those entering the country, and also wants to prevent Myanmar citizens entering cheaply, possibly with the intention of working illegally. Immigration does not care how Myanmar citizens leave the country, just so long as they do so before the end of their permission to stay.

On 12/3/2019 at 6:38 PM, BritTim said:

The logic is similar to that for those who get a visa on arrival (15 days available only at selected entry points). Immigration wants to screen those entering the country, and also wants to prevent Myanmar citizens entering cheaply, possibly with the intention of working illegally. Immigration does not care how Myanmar citizens leave the country, just so long as they do so before the end of their permission to stay.

Okay, clear.  And your explanations indeed make sense given other similar cases I heard about.  Thanks again for taking the time to respond and answer my questions BritTim!!  I appreciate it. 

Now... can anybody recommend a good online course where I can become a master of convincing people? 

• 4 weeks later...

For the people that still need some convincing information, I found an FAQ section on the Thai embassy website.  This should take away any outstanding concerns when reading through the questions and answers provided by Thai embassy employees.   

https://www.thaiembassy.com/faq/no-thai-visa-required-citizens-of-myanmar.php

I also copied the link to the Visa Exemption and Bilateral Agreement: 

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/changes-visa-exempt.php

Good luck everyone! 

5 minutes ago, Peter Plugers said:

For the people that still need some convincing information, I found an FAQ section on the Thai embassy website.

That is not a official website. The bottom the page states this. "This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy."