Effective pollution masks N95/N99/P95/99

BangkokDanish

(I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if I posted this in the wrong thread)

Hi everybody!

I am looking to buy a proper anti-particle mask in Bangkok. I've been googling for an hour with no exact result as to where I might find one in Bangkok. I'm especially interested in the neoprene ones since I'm planning on using it every day on my commute. 

Any advice where I can find this?

Thanks! 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of interest, what do you intend to use it for?

One of our riders turned up for the 2016 Charity Pubcycle wearing a heavy paper filter mask because of the "haze"- smog from Indonesian and Malaysian forest slash and burn agriculture - but the Sunday was much clearer than the Saturday had been, and he joined us for the whole ride without the mask.

I would think that if you are exercising hard, the respirator will make it hard to breathe.

SC

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

One of our riders turned up for the 2016 Charity Pubcycle wearing a heavy paper filter mask because of the "haze"- smog from Indonesian and Malaysian forest slash and burn agriculture - but the Sunday was much clearer than the Saturday had been, and he joined us for the whole ride without the mask.

I would think that if you are exercising hard, the respirator will make it hard to breathe.

SC

It's not intended for working out. I walk along long stretches of highways(?) in Siam on my way to school. It's just a precaution. The fewer particles I inhale, the happier I am :) So, what I am looking for is basically a mask that offers protection against pollution. 

12 hours ago, BangkokDanish said:

It's not intended for working out. I walk along long stretches of highways(?) in Siam on my way to school. It's just a precaution. The fewer particles I inhale, the happier I am :) So, what I am looking for is basically a mask that offers protection against pollution. 

like this?

dv.jpg

15 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

SC

Basically anytime when I'm doing something 'dusty'.

Thailand is very dusty ... although we have a maid I still potter around ...cut the hedges ... bit of rubbing down and painting etc etc

That cn (I think) is supposed to be N95 so I might even try it when stuck in BK traffic. The aircon recirc on Mrs J's old car lets a lot of fumes in ...Mr BIB might get a shock when he peers in ...

I find as I have got older my lungs don't like dust or fumes ...lung dr reckons that I have ACO... that's something like asthma mixed in with a bit of copd...

Anything N95 will do the trick as others write.

3m do a very good new technology um cool flow I think.

these are in high demand currently and expect a price gouge on these and purifiers in the near future

currently bkk worse than beijing on many days and even surpassed lahore on 3 occasions this year already

Thank you all for your replies. I have now sorted out my needs. Dropped by www.style-seal.com's warehouse since it was close to where I live. Picked up a good mask and even an air pollution meter. Just for good fun. 

You can get their masks online of course,  but they sell the same brand at Macdonaldgolf-store at Thaniya plaza.

9 minutes ago, BangkokDanish said:

Thank you all for your replies. I have now sorted out my needs. Dropped by www.style-seal.com's warehouse since it was close to where I live. Picked up a good mask and even an air pollution meter. Just for good fun. 

You can get their masks online of course,  but they sell the same brand at Macdonaldgolf-store at Thaniya plaza.

I wouldn't trust those from style seal. Tests have shown that most masks are not very effective. The only ones you can really trust are those of 3M and you can get a good one called the vflex 9105 from Tesco for 39 THB.

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

I wouldn't trust those from style seal. Tests have shown that most masks are not very effective. The only ones you can really trust are those of 3M and you can get a good one called the vflex 9105 from Tesco for 39 THB.

Do you have a source saying style seal failed a test? My impression of their production seemed thorough and well researched. It's run by an American chap that was quite passionate about this topic. But, I tend to let the facts talk the talk. If you have a link to your statement I would happily read it!  

3 minutes ago, BangkokDanish said:

Do you have a source saying style seal failed a test? My impression of their production seemed thorough and well researched. It's run by an American chap that was quite passionate about this topic. But, I tend to let the facts talk the talk. If you have a link to your statement I would happily read it!  

I was just referring to most masks not that one in particular. It's not a good idea to assume that it works until you've seen evidence that it doesn't, better to only rely on it if you've seen evidence that it's effective.

5 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I was just referring to most masks not that one in particular. It's not a good idea to assume that it works until you've seen evidence that it doesn't, better to only rely on it if you've seen evidence that it's effective.

That is true! And thank you for bringing it to my attention. I went to their website and found published test-results. Their webpage states the following:  

"All SUPER SEAL filters are independently tested at Nelson Laboratories, Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A."

https://www.style-seal.com/testing/

I'll definitely read the results. 

36 minutes ago, BangkokDanish said:

That is true! And thank you for bringing it to my attention. I went to their website and found published test-results. Their webpage states the following:  

"All SUPER SEAL filters are independently tested at Nelson Laboratories, Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A."

https://www.style-seal.com/testing/

I'll definitely read the results. 

Seems like the filter is effective but the seal is even more important so make sure there's no air coming in from the sides. When I used a similar mask I couldn't get a seal around the bridge of the nose. 

Good time to re think your future if it will involve a mask everyday. You will scare everyone. Ironically the worst air pollution I ever saw in the USA was in Salt Lake City UTAH where the OP says one of the masks is tested. Never saw pollution like that back in New England. Most days BKK is fine. Don't read all the stupid hype about the last couple days. Something else will most likely get you here. 

4 hours ago, crazykopite said:

If your worried about catching something why bother coming 

Do you mean me? Well, I work and study in Bangkok. I have nothing against Bangkok at all. But if you stop for a moment and contemplate this question: How can I avoid the worst fumes while walking to work/school, that should answer your question. That is what this post is about. Some of you seem to have essentialized the way some Thais think: "Nothing is wrong with Thailand!" and seem to get easily offended. 

There are parts of Bangkok, one of which I traverse, that are currently exposed to high pollution. More than usual. It makes sense to protect oneself. And by the way; you don't 'catch' pollution. You inhale it. 

21 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Seems like the filter is effective but the seal is even more important so make sure there's no air coming in from the sides. When I used a similar mask I couldn't get a seal around the bridge of the nose. 

Agreed! That's actually why I visited their warehouse so I could try one on in my size, instead of just ordering one from their webshop. It sealed up nicely, especially over the bridge of my nose where I usually experience the same problem as you. All in all their seal fit me as good as it gets without going full Darth Vader :)

Sorry but I don't believe the hype about masks and air pollution in BKK right now. After a few days and a weather change it will be back to normal.
If you stand near a cigarette smoker and catch some smoke accidentally it's much more harmful than the concentration right now.
But up to everyone else of course.
Just my opinion.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:40 PM, BangkokDanish said:

Siam? Thailand??

Archived