Effective pollution masks N95/N99/P95/99

BangkokDanish

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, accord25 said:

3m makes charcoal masks that are sold at Tesco. Work better than the regular surgical masks. About 19 baht each.

To prevent PM2.5 exposure, which currently is the main issue in BKK, the mask needs to be rated N95 or better. I don't think the 19b variety at Tesco meet that standard.

12 hours ago, CLW said:

Sorry but I don't believe the hype about masks and air pollution in BKK right now. After a few days and a weather change it will be back to normal.
If you stand near a cigarette smoker and catch some smoke accidentally it's much more harmful than the concentration right now.
But up to everyone else of course.
Just my opinion.

Ahh, so the dust that covered the furniture in my home every day, and clogs up the inside of my PC -- yearround -- is just a figment of my imagination.

And the pollution index readings for BKK, which show harmful levels of PM2.5 particulate lately, are just made up?  Even on the "normal" days in BKK that you refer to, the particulate pollution is the air is BAD!

BTW, I make a point to NOT stand near cigarette smokers, and neither should anyone else.

9 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

check out the web page www.style-seal.com, very effective anti polution masks. comes in different styles

Call me skeptical about that product.

In reading their info and  the test results they post on their site, the test results appear to be done on just the little small filter units that come as part of their bigger fabric masks.

But, that doesn't tell you anything about how well the overall MASK does at keeping out PM2.5 and anything else. And as best as I can see, there's nothing on the site that documents how the MASKS themselves do in terms of filtration.

When you wear the mask, you're not breathing thru just the little circular disk filter device. You're breathing thru the entire mask, and I can't see how their fabric style designs are going to provide strong seals along the edges where the mask fits against the face surface.

At least with the 3M respirator type masks, you know the test results are for the mask itself, and reflect its ability to seal against the face. That's why you look like Darth Vader when wearing one... :smile:

Also, note what Style Seal says about the need/frequency to replace their insert filters:

1. No more than 8 hours of on face use.
  2. If the filter shows 50% gray discoloration.
  3. If the filter becomes wet.
  4. If breathing becomes impaired.
  5. Maximum usage: 14 days or less

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Call me skeptical about that product.

In reading their info and  the test results they post on their site, the test results appear to be done on just the little small filter units that come as part of their bigger fabric masks.

But, that doesn't tell you anything about how well the overall MASK does at keeping out PM2.5 and anything else. And as best as I can see, there's nothing on the site that documents how the MASKS themselves do in terms of filtration.

When you wear the mask, you're not breathing thru just the little circular disk filter device. You're breathing thru the entire mask, and I can't see how their fabric style designs are going to provide strong seals along the edges where the mask fits against the face surface.

At least with the 3M respirator type masks, you know the test results are for the mask itself, and reflect its ability to seal against the face. That's why you look like Darth Vader when wearing one... :smile:

Also, note what Style Seal says about the need/frequency to replace their insert filters:

FYI: The mask has an inner layer that is airtight, the outside fabric is only there to add color. You breathe through the filters and exhale through a valve. The frequency, the owner stated, can be extended. Their numbers are on the lower levels in order to stay on the safe side, and probably sell some more filters ;)

16 hours ago, CLW said:

Sorry but I don't believe the hype about masks and air pollution in BKK right now. After a few days and a weather change it will be back to normal.
If you stand near a cigarette smoker and catch some smoke accidentally it's much more harmful than the concentration right now.
Just my opinion.

Yep .. you are right ... complete 'kin b...ocks this pollution nonsense ... you should see what is on the roof of my car in a morning and it's undercover ...

Polution.JPG.ca542a137b981af3504ed386e49b25f0.JPG

4 hours ago, BangkokDanish said:

FYI: The mask has an inner layer that is airtight, the outside fabric is only there to add color. You breathe through the filters and exhale through a valve. The frequency, the owner stated, can be extended. Their numbers are on the lower levels in order to stay on the safe side, and probably sell some more filters ;)

I think you're still missing the point re their product. The mask fabric itself may be airtight. But that doesn't mean the mask itself is making an airtight seal with the person's face all the way around to ensure that the only air getting in is coming thru the filter. With the kind of design they have, I don't see how that could be possible.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:19 PM, BangkokDanish said:

That is true! And thank you for bringing it to my attention. I went to their website and found published test-results. Their webpage states the following:  

"All SUPER SEAL filters are independently tested at Nelson Laboratories, Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A."

https://www.style-seal.com/testing/

I'll definitely read the results. 

To help you interpret those tests I thnk you should try to understand why this is not N95 rated? the us is as free of corruption as the local government is free of watch borrowing politicians.

I suspect you go to independent when you don't make standard specs such as N95 or 99 etc.

it is not expensive to open your own lab and etesting particles is not a particualry complex operation.

I suggest you go with 3M, they meet all specs stated on packaging be it for paint fumes or small particles

18 hours ago, CLW said:

Just my opinion.

or ignorance is as ignorance does.

suspect you are with the group of thai business men still promoting chrysotile asbestos as a safe reinforcment.

it is after exactly the same issue.... little bits gets into little bags in your lungs

innit 

and also thank you for stating this is some of your own thinkiong, would not want to think anyone is clever enough to pick up such ignorance from internet and blare it out as news or fact eh?

4 minutes ago, manchega said:

To help you interpret those tests I thnk you should try to understand why this is not N95 rated? the us is as free of corruption as the local government is free of watch borrowing politicians.

I suspect you go to independent when you don't make standard specs such as N95 or 99 etc.

it is not expensive to open your own lab and etesting particles is not a particualry complex operation.

I suggest you go with 3M, they meet all specs stated on packaging be it for paint fumes or small particles

As I noted above, the private lab filter results posted on the company's website appears to be based just on testing of their little round filter disks -- not on the filtering capability of the masks themselves. Presumably that's why they're not N95 rated or certified as being such.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As I noted above, the private lab filter results posted on the company's website appears to be based just on testing of their little round filter disks -- not on the filtering capability of the masks themselves. Presumably that's why they're not N95 rated or certified as being such.

exactly, the point I am making.

but more generally a product meets specs or it does not

3 hours ago, Allen Ginsing said:

It's not like using an umbrella, this masks are limited in effectiveness.

Something like this with a rubber seal would be a best.

8173668.jpg

That's overkill as the disposable 3M masks provide a very good seal and the N95 ones actually provide well over 95% protection, making the air you breathe perfectly healthy.

23 hours ago, CLW said:

Just my opinion.

Normal is not good-- Bangkok ranges from around 60-120.

Standing next to a smoker is certainly not as dangerous as being exposed to air pollution.  Air pollution is regarded as carcinogenic, whereas latest studies indicate passive smoking does not cause cancer.  And in any case you would be exposed to the cigarette smoke for just a few minutes.

On 08/02/2018 at 8:19 PM, BangkokDanish said:

That is true! And thank you for bringing it to my attention. I went to their website and found published test-results. Their webpage states the following:  

"All SUPER SEAL filters are independently tested at Nelson Laboratories, Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A."

https://www.style-seal.com/testing/

I'll definitely read the results. 

I was considering such an option for clubs and bars in Pattaya.

32 minutes ago, revelstone said:

Home Pro carries the 3M disposable N95 masks. 

Yes, and so do at least some of the Big C and Tescos in BKK, in their hardware type sections. But Home Pro is probably a surer bet to find them.

I bought and tried one a while back, and wearing it wasn't a particularly comfortable experience, and certainly not anything I'd want to wear exercising or have on for a long time.

There supposedly is the newer "Cool" versions with some kind of an exhaust (breathing out) valve or function. But I haven't noticed that variety among the ones I've seen here.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, and so do at least some of the Big C and Tescos in BKK, in their hardware type sections. But Home Pro is probably a surer bet to find them.

I bought and tried one a while back, and wearing it wasn't a particularly comfortable experience, and certainly not anything I'd want to wear exercising or have on for a long time.

There supposedly is the newer "Cool" versions with some kind of an exhaust (breathing out) valve or function. But I haven't noticed that variety among the ones I've seen here.

I found the mask itself OK, but the elastic bands are a little on the small size and uncomfortably tight

The ones with cool valve are kind of helpful, at last when breathing in the hot air and condensation from previous cycle of expiration has mainly been ejected from the mask.

It works fine, and is nicer to walk around in.

thing is, none of these are comfortable and if we truly are going back to 80 or 90s when bkk was always in a smog, then it is probably time to leave.  I see parts of south america have good counts on particles

Normal is not good-- Bangkok ranges from around 60-120.

Standing next to a smoker is certainly not as dangerous as being exposed to air pollution.  Air pollution is regarded as carcinogenic, whereas latest studies indicate passive smoking does not cause cancer.  And in any case you would be exposed to the cigarette smoke for just a few minutes.

I'm absolutely opponent of the "go-home" brigade but every one who is on his own will in Bangkok or Thailand should know that the levels of air pollution are higher here than in developed countries.
So you can live with it or choose another place.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Unfortunately, it looks like those are NOT available via Tesco Online, at least not for my central BKK delivery location.

5a80dd26cbf03_2018-02-1207_14_09.jpg.ba7efed5806067cdc0f9fa9aa2a7f3a3.jpg

5a80dd2a6383f_2018-02-1207_15_21.jpg.5560b8b4c8bcaa250c32dfad99858667.jpg

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Unfortunately, it looks like those are NOT available via Tesco Online, at least not for my central BKK delivery location.

5a80dd26cbf03_2018-02-1207_14_09.jpg.ba7efed5806067cdc0f9fa9aa2a7f3a3.jpg

5a80dd2a6383f_2018-02-1207_15_21.jpg.5560b8b4c8bcaa250c32dfad99858667.jpg

So take the SkyTrain to Tesco on nut or buy a box from the 3Mdelivery.com website.

37 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Which selfish bastard took all the VFlex masks from Tesco On Nut? I should have known it was a mistake to share that information.

That makes sense re Tesco Online...  The Tesco online delivery orders for central BKK are for some reason handled by the Rama IV store, not OnNut. So they probably aren't in stock at Rama IV either.

• 1 month later...

The China-based site smartairfilters.com did testing of various masks including various 3M models to test just how much particle blocking the masks did when being worn on the face, which is what really counts. In general, the 3M masks scored the best results (both in filtering and in cost effectiveness), and a lot of the fashion type masks did not.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/masks-really-work/

5aa8e2bc46cb9_2018-03-1415_49_35.jpg.9fe1783bb216a4d1fa74441bc0b08b11.jpg

Of the models they tested in late 2017, the 3M 9010 scored among the best results in both filtering (99%+) and cost effectiveness.

I just bought a case of 50 from Amazon U.S. for $35. But I see they're also available from the 3MDelivery website for an even better price, and they're in stock there. The only drawback of that model mask, AFAICS, is it doesn't have the newer Cool Flow exhalation vent, which is the type I'd want to use/wear if I was exercising.

5aa8e41304006_2018-03-1415_39_21.jpg.6c098bb4decff66a5e62d8b157f913d0.jpg

5aa8e4e11b5b0_3M9010Maskfrom3MDelivery.jpg.379b87824c574ef2546bc5c5607c780b.jpg

Here's the 3MDelivery info for their sold out 3M 9105 Vflex mentioned above:

5aa8e918987e9_3M9105VFlexSoldOut3MDelivery.jpg.c23d0ec8c3aafa06a5537c9215a41490.jpg

https://www.3mdelivery.com/product/309/9105-vflex-n95-particulate-respiratormedium/

BTW, here's a good recap of how Bangkok air, for example, is NOT meeting the standards of the WHO, U.S. EPA or EU when it comes to PM2.5 particulate pollution, which is the smallest particles that can get into your lungs and bloodstream and cause various health problems, even premature death.

Out of compliance with the WHO daily limit for nearly 5 months out of the year, and out of compliance with the looser U.S. EPA standard for two months out of the year.

5aa8ebe6ad94f_BKKAirNon-CompliancewithWHOEPAEUStandards..jpg.b573388f61c3e4e5aee569bc78101d39.jpg

http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/local/Thailand/Bangkok/Bangkok

Archived