Jump to content
BANGKOK
BangkokDanish

Effective pollution masks N95/N99/P95/99

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, here's a good recap of how Bangkok air, for example, is NOT meeting the standards of the WHO, U.S. EPA or EU when it comes to PM2.5 particulate pollution, which is the smallest particles that can get into your lungs and bloodstream and cause various health problems, even premature death.

 

Out of compliance with the WHO daily limit for nearly 5 months out of the year, and out of compliance with the looser U.S. EPA standard for two months out of the year.

 

5aa8ebe6ad94f_BKKAirNon-CompliancewithWHOEPAEUStandards..jpg.b573388f61c3e4e5aee569bc78101d39.jpg

 

http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/local/Thailand/Bangkok/Bangkok

Wow thanks. If it doesn't markedly improve, I'll leave in five years, head south.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the most worrying things is there has been a lot in the Thai press lately about organisations voicing concerns that there are nowhere near enough stations monitoring pollution and many of those don't monitor PM2.5 particulates.

Furthermore, if you look on the AQI maps, what sparse info there is constantly varies between "moderate" and unhealthy" and hardly ever enters the green let alone get down to the EU standard of 25. 

The North has the burning season, but really the 2 areas for most concern are BKK and the EEC earmarked zones in Rayong, (163 UNHEALTHY at 2 pm Wednesday 14/3/18) Chonburi and Chachoengsao........they are already poor and set to get a lot worse.....and it isn't seasonal

Edited by Airbagwill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

The North has the burning season, but really the 2 areas for most concern are BKK and the EEC earmarked zones in Rayong, Chonburi and Chachoengsao........they are already poor and set to get a lot worse.....and it isn't seasonal

 

I believe you're right that the air in Bangkok rarely tends to rate as "good" because of the persistent PM2.5 levels.  More often in the moderate or unhealthy for sensitive people range. But there definitely are seasonal aspects to it, as the chart below shows.

 

As I noted before, this chart's black line shows monthly average readings, so those tend to mask the shorter term high spikes like we've been having this past week where the daily ratings get into the RED unhealthy for all category. Below, green means good, yellow is moderate, and the orange is unhealthy for sensitive people.

 

5aa8f5ba024db_2018-03-1417_11_11.jpg.8964058d8a55531b3f224981fce26a0e.jpg

 

http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/local/Thailand/Bangkok/Bangkok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

I believe you're right that the air in Bangkok rarely tends to rate as "good" because of the persistent PM2.5 levels.  More often in the moderate or unhealthy for sensitive people range. But there definitely are seasonal aspects to it, as the chart below shows.

 

As I noted before, this chart's black line shows monthly average readings, so those tend to mask the shorter term high spikes like we've been having this past week where the daily ratings get into the RED unhealthy for all category. Below, green means good, yellow is moderate, and the orange is unhealthy for sensitive people.

 

5aa8f5ba024db_2018-03-1417_11_11.jpg.8964058d8a55531b3f224981fce26a0e.jpg

 

http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/local/Thailand/Bangkok/Bangkok

You will note the readings are NEVER in the green, let alone below the EU standard of 25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

I believe you're right that the air in Bangkok rarely tends to rate as "good" because of the persistent PM2.5 levels.  More often in the moderate or unhealthy for sensitive people range. But there definitely are seasonal aspects to it, as the chart below shows.

 

As I noted before, this chart's black line shows monthly average readings, so those tend to mask the shorter term high spikes like we've been having this past week where the daily ratings get into the RED unhealthy for all category. Below, green means good, yellow is moderate, and the orange is unhealthy for sensitive people.

 

5aa8f5ba024db_2018-03-1417_11_11.jpg.8964058d8a55531b3f224981fce26a0e.jpg

 

http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/local/Thailand/Bangkok/Bangkok

You can't just put up one year and claim a seasonal pattern ... There may be variations but they are not reliably recorded.

BKk's pollution stems from weather that traps or at least fails to move on particulates but even the sources aren't constant. Self generated particulates come from a traffic, but also industry in various parts of the city. There is a wide variation on a yearly basis between various parts of BKK itself - but also outside sources can be brought in....e.g. the recent pollution that drifting from the 3 changwats EEC industrial estates.

The other major problem is that we don't have a complete for even continuous picture due to the inadequate number of AQI detectors. And of the ones that do exist many stop functioning quite often.

I'm sure there are seasonal variations but they cannot be relied on for uninterrupted "safe" or even "moderate" level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

You will note the readings are NEVER in the green, let alone below the EU standard of 25.

 

As I mentioned in my post, the readings on that chart are monthly averages, not daily readings.

 

The same source has a chart that breaks down the daily results for BKK's air, that does at times get into the green "good" category, but not very often, on a daily basis:

 

5aa949a6a3aa4_2018-03-1423_10_13.jpg.24a9483c0368d81c11429c3264748220.jpg

 

http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/local/Thailand/Bangkok/Bangkok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

I'm sure there are seasonal variations but they cannot be relied on for uninterrupted "safe" or even "moderate" level.

 

Seasonal trends don't mean the air is going to automatically be good, or bad, every day during those periods. It's a chart of monthly averages. But the chart I posted above, according to its source, wasn't just monthly averages for one year, but rather, historical monthly averages. So the trend lines are broader and more indicative than you suggest.

 

Here's the full chart with the explanatory text underneath (which I think I cropped off the prior version).

 

5aa94ab351c61_2018-03-1423_15_14.jpg.b5b152f0fe7ee594faa4c576d1ae758d.jpg

 

To me, that kind of data, even as monthly averages, is likely to be a pretty good TREND indicator of what's likely to happen during different periods of the year.

 

But it's clearly not a trend line of DAILY readings, which obviously would look different and have vastly more peaks and dips. The chart I posted above shows the summary results of the daily readings, but not in a form that shows seasonality.

 

Here's their daily averages chart for the past two years, which pretty clearly shows the same peak pollution periods toward the end of each calendar year and continuing through about March. And then the April through October periods, generally, showing consistently lower levels.

 

5aa94c2b4f177_2018-03-1423_20_48.jpg.7036688a2be21f7a7cb9b34734e74e59.jpg

 

Both the Bangkok daily and monthly PM2.5 charts look pretty seasonal to me.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The China-based site smartairfilters.com did testing of various masks including various 3M models to test just how much particle blocking the masks did when being worn on the face, which is what really counts. In general, the 3M masks scored the best results (both in filtering and in cost effectiveness), and a lot of the fashion type masks did not.

 

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/masks-really-work/

 

5aa8e2bc46cb9_2018-03-1415_49_35.jpg.9fe1783bb216a4d1fa74441bc0b08b11.jpg

 

Of the models they tested in late 2017, the 3M 9010 scored among the best results in both filtering (99%+) and cost effectiveness.

 

I just bought a case of 50 from Amazon U.S. for $35. But I see they're also available from the 3MDelivery website for an even better price, and they're in stock there. The only drawback of that model mask, AFAICS, is it doesn't have the newer Cool Flow exhalation vent, which is the type I'd want to use/wear if I was exercising.

 

5aa8e41304006_2018-03-1415_39_21.jpg.6c098bb4decff66a5e62d8b157f913d0.jpg

 

5aa8e4e11b5b0_3M9010Maskfrom3MDelivery.jpg.379b87824c574ef2546bc5c5607c780b.jpg

 

Here's the 3MDelivery info for their sold out 3M 9105 Vflex mentioned above:

 

5aa8e918987e9_3M9105VFlexSoldOut3MDelivery.jpg.c23d0ec8c3aafa06a5537c9215a41490.jpg

https://www.3mdelivery.com/product/309/9105-vflex-n95-particulate-respiratormedium/

With a supply of 50 you'llbe good for a while, but as a general tip, it's worth experimenting with different types as well.  First I started with the 3M 9501 masks you can buy in Boots for 35 Baht.  It's doable while running but quite uncomfortable.  They press against the tip of my nose and the elastic bands are uncomfortable at the back of my ears.  Then I got the 3M 8210 ones (from Lazada) which have a cup shape (no more pressure against my nose) and elastic bands that go behind the head (more comfortable).  They don't have the respirator vent but I don't find that mask uncomfortabe to breathe at all.  I'm sold on it, even when the air goes back to "normal".  

 

Surprisingly, my friend prefers the 9510 over the 8210 ones, hence my point it may be worth experimenting.  

 

The 8210 masks have a good seal on the sides, but when the air is particularly nasty I put 3M Transpore tape (sort of like a masking tape but for the skin) around the edges for a perfect seal.  

 

Wish I'd figured this out when I moved here because I've been timing my runs around the pollution, and there's been times when I really felt like a good run but decided to stay in because of the bad air.   People talk about it more now, but I've been checking the AQI daily for the past 2–3 years and it's frequently been in the orange zone, and sometimes in the red, not just the past 2 months.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ChidlomDweller said:

With a supply of 50 you'll be good for a while, but as a general tip, it's worth experimenting with different types as well.

 

 

I think that and everything that followed in your post is good, sound advice.

 

If I had a choice from Amazon, I probably would have gone with a smaller number, but they only had one size, and that was the 50 count. Same with the 3MDelivery site for that particular model.

 

But once I get something in hand, I'll probably look to branch out and start trying individual other models/styles, when I can find them in single packs. The 9010s I bought for just general wearing when the conditions are bad. But I'm also looking for an exhaust vent style for use when cycling.

 

PS - the 9501 got a pretty good rating in the above test results, 97.5% filtration. No mention of the 8210 in those results.

 

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

PS - the 9501 got a pretty good rating in the above test results, 97.5% filtration. No mention of the 8210 in those results.

 

Any 3M mask that's N95 is good enough for me.  At that point it's about what's most comfortable and gives the best seal.  

 

The link you put did note those masks don't help with gasses like NO2, but when I just checked the AQI, those are all well into the green zone.  

 

Nice to know at least we have some control over this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

You can't just put up one year and claim a seasonal pattern ... There may be variations but they are not reliably recorded.

BKk's pollution stems from weather that traps or at least fails to move on particulates but even the sources aren't constant. Self generated particulates come from a traffic, but also industry in various parts of the city. There is a wide variation on a yearly basis between various parts of BKK itself - but also outside sources can be brought in....e.g. the recent pollution that drifting from the 3 changwats EEC industrial estates.

The other major problem is that we don't have a complete for even continuous picture due to the inadequate number of AQI detectors. And of the ones that do exist many stop functioning quite often.

I'm sure there are seasonal variations but they cannot be relied on for uninterrupted "safe" or even "moderate" level.

There are seasonal variations. Just speak to any pilot.

 

Seasonal variations do occur, it means when things get so bad even government can't cover it up and talk about cleaning up the city/country/ hairy discoloured bit arounnd the hole starts again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

With a supply of 50 you'llbe good for a while, but as a general tip, it's worth experimenting with different types as well.  First I started with the 3M 9501 masks you can buy in Boots for 35 Baht.  It's doable while running but quite uncomfortable.  They press against the tip of my nose and the elastic bands are uncomfortable at the back of my ears.  Then I got the 3M 8210 ones (from Lazada) which have a cup shape (no more pressure against my nose) and elastic bands that go behind the head (more comfortable).  They don't have the respirator vent but I don't find that mask uncomfortabe to breathe at all.  I'm sold on it, even when the air goes back to "normal".  

  

Thanks, I didn't know the 9501 was available in Boots. Just bought one and first impression is not quite as comfortable as the 9105 vflex but it does have foam padding for the nose which the vflex doesn't so I'll give it time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer the vflex, its designed for work so longer term comfort and speaking has been allowed for.  the 9501 pulls the ears a bit too much for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...