Mor Saeng threatens to cease distributing herbal ‘cure’ for cancer

webfact

Mor Saeng threatens to cease distributing herbal ‘cure’ for cancer

By Saichon Nudaeng 
The Nation 

626f69c6842fb022d661260bc3f96c02-sld.png

The well-known inventor of a so-called herbal “cure” for cancer has threatened to stop distributing his free capsules to patients after authorities publicly announced that he had not been certified as a “folk doctor”.

“I think I will stop the handouts next month,” said Saengchai Haelerttrakul, who is better known as Mor Saeng, on Tuesday.

His comments came a day after the director-general of the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine, Dr Kiattibhoom Vongrachit, told the media that his agency had not yet certified Saengchai as a folk doctor on the grounds that he had not submitted all of the required documents. 

“When you [Kiattibhoom] said you wanted more documents, I submitted all of them by February 3 [Saturday]. What’s the point of informing the public this way?” Saengchai said.

He also complained that the department had made it too complicated to get the certification and kept asking for more documents. 

Saengchai has not received formal training as a physician, but he is widely referred to as “Mor”, which means “doctor” in Thai, because of the herbal concoctions that he distributes. 

Many cancer patients have said his herbal capsules have improved their conditions, with thousands of people queuing for the free handouts every month. 

“I will clearly announce after February 20 whether I will call it quits,” Saengchai said. His full-time job is as a manager at the Prachin Buri branch of the Provincial Electricity Authority. 

Saengchai added that authorities probably had better treatments to help patients than he had. 

There are 2,179 certified folk doctors in Thailand, about half of whom are herbal practitioners. Categorised by region of residence, 1,567 are in the Northeast, 59 in the North, 291 in the South, 163 in the Central region and 99 in the East. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30338122

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-07

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

A charlatan and a snake oil merchant praying on the gullible... i bet he wouldn't

give this crap to one his own....

The report I read in the other newspaper said that he gives it away.

If people are happy enough to take it and if they believe that it works for them why do you care?

It is not as if he forces people to use the product. It is their choice and their belief.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

It's called the placebo effect !

3 hours ago, Lupatria said:

In countries with proper education and law enforcement it is called fraud.

Fraud "wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain."

If he is giving it away how can it be a fraud?

As if you guys actually know anything about this herbalist's success rate.

Conventional medicine doesn't exactly have great success treating cancer -- some times they do, and sometimes they don't. I've seen way too many people who died of cancer therapy (e.g., chemo and radiation) before the cancer killed them. I've also seen many cancer patients either cured or greatly improved with the use of medicinal herbs, natural whole-foods diet, immuno-modulation, etc. But to be fair, I've seen many die in spite of using natural therapies -- same as conventional medicine. 

BTW,  every year tens-of-thousands of children world-wide are cured of leukemia by the use of the natural chemical, vincamine, which is extracted from the Madagascar Periwinkle (Vinca rosea). 

2 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

As if you guys actually know anything about this herbalist's success rate.

Conventional medicine doesn't exactly have great success treating cancer -- some times they do, and sometimes they don't. I've seen way too many people who died of cancer therapy (e.g., chemo and radiation) before the cancer killed them. I've also seen many cancer patients either cured or greatly improved with the use of medicinal herbs, natural whole-foods diet, immuno-modulation, etc. But to be fair, I've seen many die in spite of using natural therapies -- same as conventional medicine. 

BTW,  every year tens-of-thousands of children world-wide are cured of leukemia by the use of the natural chemical, vincamine, which is extracted from the Madagascar Periwinkle (Vinca rosea). 

BTW you might think your miracle cure might get a mention on the internet if it cures tens of thousands. Well kept secret?

9 hours ago, halloween said:

BTW you might think your miracle cure might get a mention on the internet if it cures tens of thousands. Well kept secret?

Many articles on the pharmacology and medical use of vincamine in the treatment of leukemia and other cancers are easily found with a simple Google search. You obviously didn't look.

Knowing the superstitions of the Thais it is not surprising many believe that his herbal medicine "cures" cancer. It could even be doubly effective for those people when taken while wearing the Kwan Yin amulet which has special powers of healing.

On 2/8/2018 at 4:43 PM, HerbalEd said:

Many articles on the pharmacology and medical use of vincamine in the treatment of leukemia and other cancers are easily found with a simple Google search. You obviously didn't look.

I did look, and leukemia had very mentions, and not once did I see the word cure. But I'm sure you have links??

Whilst this "doctor" is giving off all the signs of being a charlatan, I would add he has a point in this case.

Why is the relevant govt. dept conducting negotiations through the press? Usually if you haven't got the right permits, they just shut you down and fine you. Sounds to me like a slow upping of the pressure by the relevant dept. for more cash.

The "doctor" ups the pressure back by threatening to close down the whole operation. Through the press as well!!

On 2018-02-06 at 10:34 PM, webfact said:

There are 2,179 certified folk doctors in Thailand, about half of whom are herbal practitioners. Categorised by region of residence, 1,567 are in the Northeast, 59 in the North, 291 in the South, 163 in the Central region and 99 in the East. 

Yep! The mumbo jumbo seems to work better in the North East. As always it´s easier to fool people with poor or less education and make them believe the impossible.

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Yep! The mumbo jumbo seems to work better in the North East. As always it´s easier to fool people with poor or less education and make them believe the impossible.

The reason for this is that in the North East they have more practitioners of black magic, particularly in Buri Ram and Surin, and the herbal doctors are needed to counteract the black magic spells.

:wai:

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

It appears the Folk doctor is a Fake doctor!

Not necessarily.

What may be fake to some is the truth to others.

If they believe that it works and it costs them nothing, why worry?

Why do prayers work in some cases? Perhaps because people believe in them.

On 7.2.2018 at 6:51 PM, HerbalEd said:

Alternative medicine is medicine that is either not proven to work, or proven not to work.

Alternative medicine that is proven to work is called - medicine.

[Tim Minchin]

If any natural remedy is proven to work in an conclusive double blind study (For that's what science is all about: Evidence. Not "unnatural chemistry and evil men in white coats) it will become part of academic medicine. Like aspirin or penicillin.

So bin the anecdotal stuff and check the numbers. A healthy diet does indeed lower your risk for certain kinds of cancer, but have never been shown to cure cancer. Chemo does. Much more often than doing nothing, or the placebo effect. It's still a risky, terrible procedure, but among the better ones we have in our arsenal right now.

I mean, certainly we could take some of the billions we spend rescuing banks from their own gambling depts, hire some of the tens of thousands of unemployed biologists focusing on cancer research and put some more efford behind finding a cure, but I guess tax-cuts for the super-rich and social welfare for tax evading corporations are just a bit more important for the majority of voters.

Archived