Where to have a bicycle cleaned and tuned

connda

I've got a 21 speed mountain bike that has been in storage for a number of year.  I'd like to have someone who knows what they are doing clean, lube, and adjust the bike so it's usable again.  Prefer to use a shop where they speak English.  Suggestions for shops

I used LA Bicycle on Mahidol on south side mid-point between the south moat and Airport Plaza. Guy speaks great English, has limited help but he is always fair and will tell you what you need. They are not a high-end bike shop so you have to determine whether they will meet your needs.  Always worth it to inquire and just get a quote. 

Not related to cleaning and servicing but I'm thinking of buying a new bike. My current one is around 14 years old.

Do most shops sell the same models at the same price? Any recommendations for price but also service?

My current bike is a thick tyre mountain bike but I rarely go off road. Most of my cycling is on roads or well-worn tracks. I don't want a dedicated top-end racer but will pay for quality.

6 minutes ago, Loaded said:

Not related to cleaning and servicing but I'm thinking of buying a new bike. My current one is around 14 years old.

Do most shops sell the same models at the same price? Any recommendations for price but also service?

My current bike is a thick tyre mountain bike but I rarely go off road. Most of my cycling is on roads or well-worn tracks. I don't want a dedicated top-end racer but will pay for quality.

You could try going shopping ?

7 minutes ago, Loaded said:

I would go and have a look at Mong Cycles. They are a big shop and and are in the process closing down/relocating to Phrao. They only sell decent bikes and there is a  sale on with good discounts. Also possibly the most value bike i have ever seen in CM is at Decathlon. 23k reduced to 12k its a Btwin road bike(racing type bike) Shimano Sora components, Carbon forks, Aluminum frame. Frame and forks will accept racks if you ever go touring. Not the best bike in the world but an awesome deal for 12K. 

6 hours ago, WM1 said:

I used LA Bicycle on Mahidol on south side mid-point between the south moat and Airport Plaza. Guy speaks great English, has limited help but he is always fair and will tell you what you need. They are not a high-end bike shop so you have to determine whether they will meet your needs.  Always worth it to inquire and just get a quote. 

L.A. Bicycle is a brand. It's not the name of a shop.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Normally it just needs the tires pumped up and the chain oiled.

I just use the 50bht m/c gearbox oil on my chains.

What do you think is wrong with the bike?

If its been in storage for a while then the brakes have probably dried out and cracked and the tires may have cracks too. We recently took a bicycle out of storage and all the rubber parts were shot.

5 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I would go and have a look at Mong Cycles. They are a big shop and and are in the process closing down/relocating to Phrao. They only sell decent bikes and there is a  sale on with good discounts. Also possibly the most value bike i have ever seen in CM is at Decathlon. 23k reduced to 12k its a Btwin road bike(racing type bike) Shimano Sora components, Carbon forks, Aluminum frame. Frame and forks will accept racks if you ever go touring. Not the best bike in the world but an awesome deal for 12K. 

Sounds like you know bicycles, I would appreciate a little advice. My wife has 3 teen nephews who live in a small village. I would like to buy bicycles that are strong and easy to maintain for them. I bought them bicycles about 5 years ago and they're destroyed which is to be expected. I don't want to buy something fancy that they won't be able to have repaired locally. Thanks in advance for any help.

6 hours ago, Loaded said:

14 years old it could possibly sell for more than you paid for it originally.

Google..

11 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Sounds like you know bicycles, I would appreciate a little advice. My wife has 3 teen nephews who live in a small village. I would like to buy bicycles that are strong and easy to maintain for them. I bought them bicycles about 5 years ago and they're destroyed which is to be expected. I don't want to buy something fancy that they won't be able to have repaired locally. Thanks in advance for any help.

LA Bikes ......... if you want more than the supermarket provides.

Anything owned and run by foreigners is double the price of locally owned shops.

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

LA Bikes ......... if you want more than the supermarket provides.

Anything owned and run by foreigners is double the price of locally owned shops.

Thanks for that, I really want something to last. Everything I see in department stores appears, in my inexpert opinion, to be of shoddy quality.

5 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Thanks for that, I really want something to last. Everything I see in department stores appears, in my inexpert opinion, to be of shoddy quality.

You might want to try Trinx bikes.  There's a shop on the groundfloor of Promenda that sells them.  Similar quality to LA, maybe better specs for the money.  Cheaper online from Bangkok, but you have to assemble them yourself.  Make sure you buy alloy frames.  Steel too heavy.

4 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Pump up the tires, Hose it down then spray the moving parts with wd 40. Job done.

You do know wd40 dissolves the grease in the sealed bearings and the inner joints of the chain?

1 hour ago, Samuel Smith said:

You might want to try Trinx bikes.  There's a shop on the groundfloor of Promenda that sells them.  Similar quality to LA, maybe better specs for the money.  Cheaper online from Bangkok, but you have to assemble them yourself.  Make sure you buy alloy frames.  Steel too heavy.

Thanks, I will definitely have a look. Are they related to the company that was selling bikes near The Dukes?

On 08/02/2018 at 3:52 PM, ramrod711 said:

I would say it depends on your budget. A Trek 3700 is a quality cheap bike about 13-14k but that will be X 3! So I would agree with previous posters LA Bicycle are a big step up from the Tesco Big C level and will last a lot longer. The Trinx type brands seem to copy Trek and Giant in design and style of paint jobs but sell a much cheaper price. I would also look at Decathlon they guarantee their stuff for two years and honour it. They do have genuine discounts on the old stock and you can get some amazing deals. 

What bikes are your nephews interested in? One might have always wanted a BMX?, another a single speed fixed gear type bike? Another a MTB. I think a MTB is the best option for living in a village though. Getting the right size is also important. So all three visiting the bike shop would be wise or the very least knowing their heights , inside leg measurements and double checking the sizing info before buying.

1 hour ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I would say it depends on your budget. A Trek 3700 is a quality cheap bike about 13-14k but that will be X 3! So I would agree with previous posters LA Bicycle are a big step up from the Tesco Big C level and will last a lot longer. The Trinx type brands seem to copy Trek and Giant in design and style of paint jobs but sell a much cheaper price. I would also look at Decathlon they guarantee their stuff for two years and honour it. They do have genuine discounts on the old stock and you can get some amazing deals. 

What bikes are your nephews interested in? One might have always wanted a BMX?, another a single speed fixed gear type bike? Another a MTB. I think a MTB is the best option for living in a village though. Getting the right size is also important. So all three visiting the bike shop would be wise or the very least knowing their heights , inside leg measurements and double checking the sizing info before buying.

To be perfectly honest we only get up there once a year. I know nothing about bicycles except riding one is better than walking. I figured get something strong and durable, don't worry about gears too much, they're young and strong. From what I've seen they don't have to worry about impressing their friends, most of whom don't have anything. I don't know if you have seen the BMX style rental bikes with mag type wheels, I was looking at one the other day, looked really strong and was rated at, I think, 200kg. I would throw 3 of them on top of the load of other stuff we take in the pickup. Use them or not , up to you. It isn't that I don't care, it's the fact that I won't be there to repair them and I haven't seen any tools around their grandfathers house. Thanks for your reply and recommendations, I do appreciate it and will look at the LA bikes and the Trinx. My apologies to the OP, I didn't intend to hijack your thread.

any idea how much it costs for a service and clean?

Check out Mong Cycles on Chiang Moi Rd.  Owner is American

A thorough cleaning of a roadbike including cleaning the frame & drive train, re-lubing, and adjusting the brakes & shifting as-needed costs 400 baht.

Archived