Beer Lao

Isan Farang

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, starky said:

Yes understood but would that not then mean that a case of beer Lao minus the import duties but having the same taxes as other locally produced beers, should not cost anymore to purchase wholesale than Leo, Singha or Chang.

Please see my earlier post about distribution agreements.

On 2/7/2018 at 3:26 PM, Randell said:

Not so many years ago you could buy a case of Beer Lao for 400 Baht only slightly higher than local beer at that time the 1500 Baht can't all be all due to taxes

Err.. isn't the logical conclusion to what you posit, is that the increase must be due to something arbitrary .. like taxes?!:smile:

You can still buy a Cambodian dark ale at the jungle border market close to Nam Yuen ('Bergen's' stamping ground) for 40 baht (ABC stout is better but at 50 baht). Unfortunately you can only bring back 3 cans per person. Take 7 non-drinking family members with you* and you've got a case!

I couldn't, the only non-drinkers are under-age!

20180118_135328[1].jpg

Err.. isn't the logical conclusion to what you posit, is that the increase must be due to something arbitrary .. like taxes?!:smile:

You can still buy a Cambodian dark ale at the jungle border market close to Nam Yuen ('Bergen's' stamping ground) for 40 baht (ABC stout is better but at 50 baht). Unfortunately you can only bring back 3 cans per person. Take 7 non-drinking family members with you* and you've got a case!

I couldn't, the only non-drinkers are under-age!
5a7daebc4a08d_20180118_1353281.thumb.jpg.16b68bad147be6f851e8d1e57e16ecd5.jpg

Had archipelago Beer Company Stout in Siam Reap. It’s ok but a bit sharp IMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reminding you that Beer Lao is a dark beer, not a stout. ABC and Black Panther are both stouts and sharper than Beer Lao. Guinness too is sharp, being a stout.

Sorry if I unnecessarily place you as an egg-sucking granny, Dilligad, but there are non-Brits on here who possibly don't know the finer points of British Isles* brewing:smile:

PersonalIy, I preferred the ABC I used to drink in Camby to the Black Panther cans I bought at the Aan Mah border market - I thought the latter had a rather unwelcome spirity aftertaste (but a cheapo Camby border market probably could not care less about storage/quality)

[Ex CAMRA member, but hey it's all about personal choice and anyway, after 10 years in Thailand, I've forgotten how to write tasting notes and binned the woolly jumpers!]

* I think Dublin (home of Guinness) is in the British Isles isn't it?

I miss Kloster " Happiness you can drink".  There were the occasional skunky one but on the whole I found them very drinkable , but a distant memory now. And it's an absolute shame that you can buy small cans of  Real Guinness across in Burma  for a lot less than Beer Lao. I hope we can get some resolution on Craft Beer. I tried to make some Ginger Beer and I am ashamed to say an absolute disaster. Will try again but not very confident  555.

43 minutes ago, Randell said:

I miss Kloster " Happiness you can drink".  There were the occasional skunky one but on the whole I found them very drinkable , but a distant memory now. And it's an absolute shame that you can buy small cans of  Real Guinness across in Burma  for a lot less than Beer Lao. I hope we can get some resolution on Craft Beer. I tried to make some Ginger Beer and I am ashamed to say an absolute disaster. Will try again but not very confident  555.

Makro sells Ginger Beer. Villa too. Might save you some time and frustration :smile:

On 2/7/2018 at 3:08 PM, Randell said:

Yes somehow Beer lao has priced it self right out of the market. Yes it's great beer but the price is ridiculous. 

THere are some that can afford or are nevertheless   willing to pay the freight for what they want.

Personally,   I'd be happy to give you whatever  Lao Dark Beer I come across.    That's a promise.

Hi watcharacters

It just goes to prove what a sad state Thai Beer monopoly is these days. When Beer lao is good enough to be able to have its price go up more than 1000 Baht in 6 years. Basically to conglomerates controlling the whole thing.

ps sorry about the heavy type I copy pasted your name and the font stuck 555

22 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Personally I prefer the Beer Lao Gold which I buy for 900 Baht a case (24) when I call over to Laos

Beerlao_Label.jpg

My friends wife is from Laos and when she goes back to visit relations she brings me back a six pack, it is quite good, I can't understand why they don't sell it in here.

On 10/02/2018 at 11:46 AM, SantiSuk said:

Reminding you that Beer Lao is a dark beer, not a stout. ABC and Black Panther are both stouts and sharper than Beer Lao. Guinness too is sharp, being a stout.

Sorry if I unnecessarily place you as an egg-sucking granny, Dilligad, but there are non-Brits on here who possibly don't know the finer points of British Isles* brewing:smile:

PersonalIy, I preferred the ABC I used to drink in Camby to the Black Panther cans I bought at the Aan Mah border market - I thought the latter had a rather unwelcome spirity aftertaste (but a cheapo Camby border market probably could not care less about storage/quality)

[Ex CAMRA member, but hey it's all about personal choice and anyway, after 10 years in Thailand, I've forgotten how to write tasting notes and binned the woolly jumpers!]

* I think Dublin (home of Guinness) is in the British Isles isn't it?

Real drinkers drink quality whisky not basic beers.

1 hour ago, Isan Farang said:

Makro is getting expensive @ 64 Baht per bottle, as Tops is normally way ahead of the others

Our Makro doesn't normally have ...... Beer Lao wise, you have to be very lucky to find it and even special orders take forever. Tops is sometimes a better choice but more expensive.

32 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Our Makro doesn't normally have ...... Beer Lao wise, you have to be very lucky to find it and even special orders take forever. Tops is sometimes a better choice but more expensive.

Not sure on your location but you may need to visit another Makro, I gave the guy that works at my outlet my wife's number and told him to call her when the new stock arrives. Ubon is very busy now so I guess they do not need to worry about being left with a out of date product

Not sure on your location but you may need to visit another Makro, I gave the guy that works at my outlet my wife's number and told him to call her when the new stock arrives. Ubon is very busy now so I guess they do not need to worry about being left with a out of date product

Thx. I am in Buriram, and I already tried another Makro close by which is Surin, but they even have less unfortunately

34 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thx. I am in Buriram, and I already tried another Makro close by which is Surin, but they even have less unfortunately

For the 4 baht difference per bottle not a big issue unless things change.

If you are planning a trip to Ubon let me know and I can check with Makro what's available as it is very close to my home.

4 baht per bottle premium over case price in TOPS is unusually reasonable* suggests they are still working through old stock. Best to check the BB date on the bottles on TOPS shelves before buying!

Either that, or it would seem that Makro may be price gouging. If that is the case, it's a bit of a dual cruelty that we can't get choice in beer as the big brewers operate partial shut-out monopolies (that would not be lawful in most of the developed world) and when we can there is what seems to be monopoly retailer who is maybe price gouging.

[*eg 711 sometimes sells Leo at 37 baht a small bottle - compares to 31.3 'wholesale' price if bought by the case in Makro/TL]

Archived