How long does it take to renew a retirement visa at immigration in Bangkok?

4 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Thanks for the tip, I'll message you.  I have more money than most here and don't mind paying for the convenience.  A few baht to avoid hours of sitting around might be worth it.  

Yep, I feel the same way, but this particular "grammar teacher" was so very clear, kind and helpful I didn't feel right pushing back against what I agree seems like a bit of excessive pedantry.  And as you point out he has the advantage of being correct.  :-)  In my mind, I'm secretly still just renewing my visa for a year, but don't tell him I said so...  :-)  I've always heard that you cannot really fairly criticize an argument unless you can restate it in terms that the originator agrees with first.  Would be good if everyone followed that process.  

I don't bother arguing with people on here anymore it's a waste of time.  I once had a debate with someone regarding the same terminology "renewing my visa vrs. getting an extension".  Turned out we were talking about the same thing I just simply refer to it as renewing my visa once a year big deal.  Although it is good to know exactly what everything means. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Koratjohn77 said:

Doesn't it take like 30 days to get your passport with the extension stamp back if you do it yourself?  

Not if you are applying for an extension based upon retirement. If applying for an extension based upon marriage you get a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days from the date it was done and get passport back on the date your apply. Immigration never holds passports after the application done.

I heard that you have to wait for a home visit from immigration and all kinds of hoops you have to jump through.

The home visit is only for the first extension application based upon marriage. No hoops that i am aware of.

Doesn't it take like 30 days to get your passport with the extension stamp back if you do it yourself?  I've been using an agent for 4 years and I always have my passport with the extension done within two days and I've never had a problem with reporting or anything at all.  How long does the entire process take if you do it yourself till you actually get your passport back with the extension stamp?  

I heard that you have to wait for a home visit from immigration and all kinds of hoops you have to jump through.  With the agent I never have to do anything except go to immigration for 5 minutes a year and of course report every 90 days which is easy.  Other than that they do it all for me.  I'm considering doing it myself next year or maybe the year after but I don't know.  Is it really as difficult as I've heard to do it yourself?  

Errr, no?  I've been doing it myself for a few years now but retirement only.  Timing varies by office with Phuket (last time I did it) being a pick up the next day.  Bangkok and Chiang May - same day, with Bangkok took all of 30 minutes for the passport to come back with the extension in once seen by the IO. 

Edited by SooKee

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They stop at 3:30 pm.

Doesn't it take like 30 days to get your passport with the extension stamp back if you do it yourself?  I've been using an agent for 4 years and I always have my passport with the extension done within two days and I've never had a problem with reporting or anything at all.  How long does the entire process take if you do it yourself till you actually get your passport back with the extension stamp?  

I heard that you have to wait for a home visit from immigration and all kinds of hoops you have to jump through.  With the agent I never have to do anything except go to immigration for 5 minutes a year and of course report every 90 days which is easy.  Other than that they do it all for me.  I'm considering doing it myself next year or maybe the year after but I don't know.  Is it really as difficult as I've heard to do it yourself?  

Also the other person said something about "Applicants for this type of visa must be Indonesian citizens" what was he referring to?  Maybe I misread that.  

2 minutes ago, partington said:

It's not a waste of time, your view is just wrong, and so it is like arguing the world is flat.

Of course you'll find it hard to convince people when you are incorrect.

You know what I'm going to do next year I'm going to "renew my visa" AGAIN just like I did last month and just like I've been doing for the last 4 years. ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Koratjohn77 said:

Doesn't it take like 30 days to get your passport with the extension stamp back if you do it yourself?  

I replied to your previous post asking the same thing. My reply is at 3 posts before yours.

14 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Haha, after laying it out into a "simple" five step description, you cannot understand why people are baffled?  LOL this doesn't seem complicated to you?  

BTW I'm not baffled any more and thank you for your help.  But I do understand why it keeps coming up over and over.  This really should be a pinned note.  How do we suggest it to the moderators?  It seemingly applies generally to any country.  

This site gets money from repeated traffic, so answering the same questions over and over is a business model.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not if you are applying for an extension based upon retirement. If applying for an extension based upon marriage you get a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days from the date it was done and get passport back on the date your apply. Immigration never holds passports after the application done.

The home visit is only for the first extension application based upon marriage. No hoops that i am aware of.

So with a retirement visa you actually get your extension for the entire year done the same day?  And for marriage visas it's always a 30 day wait?  

9 minutes ago, Koratjohn77 said:

I don't bother arguing with people on here anymore it's a waste of time.  I once had a debate with someone regarding the same terminology "renewing my visa vrs. getting an extension".  Turned out we were talking about the same thing I just simply refer to it as renewing my visa once a year big deal.  Although it is good to know exactly what everything means. 

I feel like I get it now: 

1. Visa:  permission to enter Thailand, issued from a location outside of Thailand.
  2. Extension of permission to stay:  issued from inside Thailand, does what it says.  
  3. Re-entry permit:  issued from inside Thailand, granting permission to re-enter after leaving.  

And #2 is often called "renewing a visa" by laymen.  If you do confuse the two, you might forget to get #3 and end up getting screwed.  

Personally, I don't see why the pedantists don't just accept the common usage.  

11 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Errr, no?  I've been doing it myself for a few years now but retirement only.  Timing varies by office with Phuket (last time I did it) being a pick up the next day.  Bangkok and Chiang May - same day, with Bangkok took all of 30 minutes for the passport to come back with the extension in once seen by the IO. 

Well I'm on a marriage visa although I am in fact retired but I'm not 50 years old.  As soon as I turn 50 I'm definitely switching to a retirement visa I didn't know it was that easy for retirement visas.  I wish I could get a retirement visa now but I'm only 45.  

3 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

1. Visa:  permission to enter Thailand, issued from a location outside of Thailand.
  2. Extension of permission to stay:  issued from inside Thailand, does what it says.  
  3. Re-entry permit:  issued from inside Thailand, granting permission to re-enter after leaving.  

And #2 is often called "renewing a visa" by laymen.  If you do confuse the two, you might forget to get #3 and end up getting screwed.  

That's exactly right 

When we are discussing this over a beer call it what you wish. But when someone comes here for specific advice, like you did, terms are important.

We see it over and over here - a person asks about getting a retirement visa. They may mean an extension of stay based on retirement, they may mean a non imm o-a multi entry visa, or perhaps they are asking about a non imm o visa.

Each generates a completely different answer and we usually go back and forth with questions and answers until we understand what the person is asking, and then can provide hopefully precise, correct responses.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Koratjohn77 said:

So with a retirement visa you actually get your extension for the entire year done the same day?  And for marriage visas it's always a 30 day wait?  

For a retirement extension you can get it all done in one day. There are a couple of offices that may have you come back the next day to pick up your passport.

For an extension of stay  based upon marriage there is a under consideration period. Some offices start the 30 days on the date your application is accepted and others start it from the date your current permit to stay ends. The extension has to be approved by the division headquarters for the region where you apply.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

AI replied to your previous post asking the same thing. My reply is at 3 posts before yours.

So if you are getting an extension on a retirement visa is it true that you can actually complete the whole process in only one day?  As in actually have your passport back with the extension stamp all finished in only one day?  Is that true?  If so I never knew that in 4 years of living here.  

I'm on a marriage visa but I am in fact retired.  You have to be at least 50 years old to qualify for a retirement visa right?  Is there any exception to that?  Can you get a retirement visa younger than 50 years old?  I'm only 45 but I'd love to switch to a retirement visa now that I know that.  I'd never use a visa agent again if I were on a retirement visa if it's true that you can get the extension all done in only one day that would be awesome.  Do I have to wait till I'm 50 to switch to a retirement visa?  I'm actually retired military I'm a 100% disabled veteran so my monthly pension is maxed out plus I'm 20 years retired.  If that's true about extensions for retirement visas man I want to switch visas as soon as I can!  That would be awesome.  Can you please confirm that because I honestly never knew that being on a marriage visa.  I always thought marriage and retirement visas were pretty much the same I know that they are very similar.  Lol maybe they'll make an exception for me since I have a prosthetic hip and part of my right foot is gone.  

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For a retirement extension you can get it all done in one day. There are a couple of offices that may have you come back the next day to pick up your passport.

For an extension of stay  based upon marriage there is a under consideration period. Some offices start the 30 days on the date your application is accepted and others start it from the date your current permit to stay ends. The extension has to be approved by the division headquarters for the region where you apply.

Okay I didn't know that about the retirement visa that's awesome.  Is it possible to get a retirement visa if you're only 45?  I'm on a marriage visa and my extension always expires the same day every year.  I actually just got my last extension last month.  Can you get a retirement visa under the age of 50?  I actually am retired but I'm just not quite 50 years old.  I'm definitely going to switch to a retirement visa now that I know that as soon as they'll let me.  

Okay I didn't know that about the retirement visa that's awesome.  Is it possible to get a retirement visa if you're only 45?  I'm on a marriage visa and my extension always expires the same day every year.  I actually just got my last extension last month.  Can you get a retirement visa under the age of 50?  I actually am retired but I'm just not quite 50 years old.  I'm definitely going to switch to a retirement visa now that I know that as soon as they'll let me.  

The age requirement for an extension of stay based on retirement is 50 years old.

The financial requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement are higher than those for an extension of stay based on marriage.

7 minutes ago, Koratjohn77 said:

If that's true about extensions for retirement visas man I want to switch visas as soon as I can!  That would be awesome.  Can you please confirm that because I honestly never knew that being on a marriage visa.

As Ubonjoe has clearly stated, a retirement extension is normally completed in one day if all the paperwork is correct, you MUST be 50 years old or above to apply, there are no exceptions, so you can swap in another 5 years.

I am lazy so I always use an agent. She gets there early and gets a ticket, I arrive about 9am, sign the prepared papers and wait to be called. She stays on after to get my re-entry permit and couriers my passport back to me. She also does the 90 day report.  Cost of service for the year is 5,000 baht. Time cost to me is usually about 45 mins.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Sorry just read the last message I sent I sent another message before I read your reply I apologize.  

22 hours ago, wealthychef said:

need to extend my permission to stay as well as permission to exit and enter at will.  You have just made things more confusing for me.  Definitely the visa expires at end of Feb.  Are you saying I don't need to renew that

22 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Thank you for the clarification.  You are incorrect about one thing:  I am renewing my visa, as well as applying for an extension of stay.  I'm actually doing both because yes I have plans to leave the country.  

Thankfully the OP does now understand the terminology.

If there was ever a shining example of why people should understand and term things correctly, then it is the two quotes, had the OP not posted on here, then there is a very good chance that things would have gone badly wrong for him.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

When we are discussing this over a beer call it what you wish. But when someone comes here for specific advice, like you did, terms are important.

Very good point.  It certainly has helped me to be precise and I feel well worth the effort and a bit of study.  But that's my nature anyhow.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koratjohn77 said:

Is that what the agent told you? You've been duped.

You just turn up with your passport and photo and the relevant photocopies. Pick up and fill in the form at the first desk (or prepare one earlier to save time), get a ticket from the second desk, wait around (never less than 90 minutes in my experience). When your number is shown someone checks your documents are all in order (takes a minute or two) and you sit back down.  After another wait you will be called by number (listen out) to an adjacent desk who processes the stuff and takes the payment. You then wait again a short while (maybe 10-15 minutes) and they will call you by name to give you your passport all done and dusted.

The only hassle is the bank thing. They want photocopies of your bank book(s) showing the current date, and a same-day letter from the bank, so you have to deposit/withdraw something from the account, update the book in the machine, then get the photocopes made. Fortunately at Chaeng Wattana the bank and the photocopy shops are close by, so there's no problem other than 15 minutes hassle.

Edited by CharlesSwann

5 minutes ago, coppywriter said:

I am lazy so I always use an agent. She gets there early and gets a ticket, I arrive about 9am, sign the prepared papers and wait to be called. She stays on after to get my re-entry permit and couriers my passport back to me. She also does the 90 day report.  Cost of service for the year is 5,000 baht. Time cost to me is usually about 45 mins.

Wow, that sounds excellent, exactly the service I want.  Can you PM her contact to me?   

4 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

The age requirement for an extension of stay based on retirement is 50 years old.

The financial requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement are higher than those for an extension of stay based on marriage.

Isn't either income or savings?  A minimum of 40,000 baht a month or 400,000 baht in the bank?  For me the monthly income requirements is no problem at all I make a lot per month but my account balance fluctuates so I'm only using my monthly income.  Can you go by monthly income for a retirement visa?  What is the monthly income requirement if so?  

1 minute ago, Koratjohn77 said:

Isn't either income or savings?  A minimum of 40,000 baht a month or 400,000 baht in the bank?  For me the monthly income requirements is no problem at all I make a lot per month but my account balance fluctuates so I'm only using my monthly income.  Can you go by monthly income for a retirement visa?  What is the monthly income requirement if so?  

Retirement is 65,000 per month or 800,000 in the bank OR a combination of both.

3 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Is that what the agent told you? You've been duped.

You just turn up with your passport and photo and the relevant photocopies. Pick up and fill in the form at the first desk (or prepare one earlier to save time), get a ticket from the second desk, wait around (never less than 90 minutes in my experience). When your number is shown someone checks your documents are all in order (takes a minute or two) and you sit back down.  After another wait you will be called by number (listen out) to an adjacent desk who processes the stuff and takes the payment. You then wait again a short while (maybe 10-15 minutes) and they will call you by name to give you your passport all done and dusted.

The only hassle is the bank thing. They want photocopies of your bank book(s) showing the current date, and a same-day letter from the bank, so you have to deposit/withdraw something from the account, update the book in the machine, then get the photocopes made. Fortunately at Chaeng Wattana the bank and the photocopy shops are close by, so there's no problem other than 15 minutes hassle.

I'm on a marriage visa and it's 30 days for that so it has actually been worth it because I get it done in only 2 days.  I think you're referring to a retirement visa which I just learned only does take one day to extend so as soon as I turn 50 I'm switching to a retirement visa and never using an agent again.  As long as I'm on a marriage visa I'll continue to use the agent because I like having my passport back in only 2 days.  You are referring to a retirement visa right?  Because I confirmed that it does take 30 days to get the extension done for a marriage visa if you're doing it yourself.  So no I wasn't duped unless you know a faster way of doing a marriage visa extension.  Also I don't bring in anything from my bank I don't even have a Thai bank I use my US bank account I only have to show my Proof of Income Affidavit from the embassy.  I have letters verifying my pension income but no one ever wants to see them all they care about is that Proof of Income Affidavit from the embassy.  I have no plans on opening a bank account here.  

1 hour ago, partington said:

The only problem with this is if you want to get a re-entry permit on the same day.

It happened to me once that I arrived after lunch, there was a long wait, and I got my extension too late to appply for the re-entry permit. So another entire trip to CW was needed.

Good point. I've never tried getting a re-entry permit at the same time. Last time I renewed though, I'm sure there would have been time in the afternoon to get a re-entry as well - they don't take long, right? (as I recall).

The problem with staying all afternoon at CW though is that you then have to get out during the rush hour, which is a bit of a mare.

11 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Retirement is 65,000 per month or 800,000 in the bank OR a combination of both.

Okay awesome!  65,000 baht per month is only half of what I make in a month!  That's only like 2 grand I make close to 4 grand a month so I would definitely go with a Proof of Income Affidavit for the monthly income.  So far I still haven't found a down side to it and income is no problem.  Makes me wish I was 50 years old now.  I feel like I'm 60 years old I wish that counted.