How long does it take to renew a retirement visa at immigration in Bangkok?

5 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Woa  what?  You do realize I've been asking about a retirement visa right?  Ugh. 

Yes I figured.  I even told you earlier that maybe their procedures are different for that but I don't know.  If it's a retirement visa it sounds like you'd be better off just doing it yourself.  When I switch to a retirement visa in 5 years I'm going to start doing it myself.  I'm on a marriage visa but I am actually retired I'm just a few years to young to qualify for a retirement visa.  My wife is a Thai citizen so we retired here.  If you need an agent TSL should be able to help you regardless of whether or not it's a retirement or a marriage visa. Either way you said that you were looking for an agent.  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

What visa service is going to admit in an unsolicited chat if their agents get/pay for some preferential treatment at immigration like going to the front of the line somehow? I’m shocked the smiley face didn’t persuade them to spill all of their secrets.

I don't know but over the phone they were happy to tell me all their secrets so go figure.  I think the guy on chat is just not very helpful.  At some point you actually have to tell your customers why they should spend 12,000 baht on your service, don't you agree?  Or should I just trust them implicitly?  

It turns out they do not cut to the front of the line, they send the forms in ahead of time and meet with someone in the office.  Very sensible and if the idiot in the chat had said this and quoted a price instead of exiting the chat, maybe I could have made a better decision.  

8 minutes ago, Koratjohn77 said:

Yes I figured.  I even told you earlier that maybe their procedures are different for that but I don't know.  If it's a retirement visa it sounds like you'd be better off just doing it yourself.  When I switch to a retirement visa in 5 years I'm going to start doing it myself.  I'm on a marriage visa but I am actually retired I'm just a few years to young to qualify for a retirement visa.  My wife is a Thai citizen so we retired here.  If you need an agent TSL should be able to help you regardless of whether or not it's a retirement or a marriage visa. Either way you said that you were looking for an agent.  

Roger that, thanks for the help man, sorry if I sound a bit grumpy after hours of chasing this down.  I should mention the price they quoted was 12,000 baht.  Plus the application fees. 

Edited by wealthychef

3 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Roger that, thanks for the help man, sorry if I sound a bit grumpy after hours of chasing this down.  I should mention the price they quoted was 12,000 baht.  Plus the application fees. 

To be honest, I do not see the advantage of you using an agent, apart from them perhaps assisting you to get the application correct, I do not think it will save you that much time really, a retirement extension is the easiest of all to do.

I extend my stay based on working here and this is handled by an agent employed by the company, it still requires me to be at CW before they open, as they will not issue a queue number without the Farang being there and also have to be present when the IO checks all the paperwork (there is a lot!) plus wait for the passport after that.

The only advantages (aside from documentation) I see from my side are the fact the agent gets there very early and gets in to the queue, which even by 7am can be over 150, the other advantage is the re-entry permit, they normally let me just show my face for a minute or two, then the agent does the waiting for that part, but that probably only saves 30 minutes or so.

As a percentage of the year's extension, then it isn't a lot of time in the big picture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

To be honest, I do not see the advantage of you using an agent, apart from them perhaps assisting you to get the application correct, I do not think it will save you that much time really, a retirement extension is the easiest of all to do.

I extend my stay based on working here and this is handled by an agent employed by the company, it still requires me to be at CW before they open, as they will not issue a queue number without the Farang being there and also have to be present when the IO checks all the paperwork (there is a lot!) plus wait for the passport after that.

The only advantages (aside from documentation) I see from my side are the fact the agent gets there very early and gets in to the queue, which even by 7am can be over 150, the other advantage is the re-entry permit, they normally let me just show my face for a minute or two, then the agent does the waiting for that part, but that probably only saves 30 minutes or so.

As a percentage of the year's extension, then it isn't a lot of time in the big picture.

I agree, it's way too expensive for the value of the service provided, I think.  I don't measure as a percentage of time in country, but rather at 1 day costing 12000 baht.  If it were 5000 baht and it cut my time down by 8 hours I would probably do it.  My time is just not worth that much money honestly.  

I guess it's DIY time!  I'm down for it.  I did it last year.  I was just hoping to get that 5000 baht agent someone else was talking about.  Bummer.  I have a motorcycle so no big deal to get down to immigration and eat some Thai food at the government complex, play with my phone, kill a day.  I'll be dead in 30 years anyhow. 

OK folks at this point I feel like I have received a hell of a lot of value and comfort from this conversation, and thanks for all your input and good luck to everyone.  I'm going to bow out and go live my boring offline life now...  Chaengwattana here I come!  Woooooooooot

• Like 2

17 hours ago, wealthychef said:

I agree, it's way too expensive for the value of the service provided, I think.  I don't measure as a percentage of time in country, but rather at 1 day costing 12000 baht.  If it were 5000 baht and it cut my time down by 8 hours I would probably do it.  My time is just not worth that much money honestly.  

I guess it's DIY time!  I'm down for it.  I did it last year.  I was just hoping to get that 5000 baht agent someone else was talking about.  Bummer.  I have a motorcycle so no big deal to get down to immigration and eat some Thai food at the government complex, play with my phone, kill a day.  I'll be dead in 30 years anyhow. 

You'll also stand more chance of getting it all done, def before 12:00 if you don't need a REP (and possibly before 12:00 even if you do if you get there around 7:30), if you have all your papers in order before you get there.

Just download and complete the online fillable PDF TM7 from the stickies at the top of this section of the forum, save it in PDF and get that printed out (double sided!) - loads of print shops around, the staff in my condo print my stuff out for me.

I used to go with loads of single paper copies of the various pages needed (Passport ID, original visa, entry stamp, previous extensions, TM6 card) - now I condense those down by having JPG images of everything on file and merely use a word processing application on the laptop (I'm my case 'Pages') to create documents containing the JPG images, save them as PDFs, and again print them out here.  So now I go with 1 page containing the ID and Visa, one page containing the TM6 and Entry Stamp and one page containing my previous extensions (4 to a page).  Makes for a much leaner and tidier submission.

Get the photo done beforehand too (2 if you also need a REP) and stick them to the forms.  If you need a REP write your mobile number at the bottom or top of the TM8.  There's no space for it on the form but they will hand you the form back and tell you to write it on if it's not there already.

When arriving at Immigration reception, have your passport ready to show the security desk (has a sign over it saying 'Foreign Visitor' or something like that.  They take an image of it before you are allowed to go through the metal detector).  Then, once into the main complex head straight over toward's your 2 o'clock and, if you're there early enough, there will be an officer at a portable desk right in front of the Immigration Office door issuing the pre-queue tickets.

For me the process is so easy I really don't see the point of paying 5,000 baht for an agent to do some of it, let alone 12,000.  Good luck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SooKee said:

You'll also stand more chance of getting it all done, def before 12:00 if you don't need a REP (and possibly before 12:00 even if you do if you get there around 7:30), if you have all your papers in order before you get there.

Just download and complete the online fillable PDF TM7 from the stickies at the top of this section of the forum, save it in PDF and get that printed out (double sided!) - loads of print shops around, the staff in my condo print my stuff out for me.

I used to go with loads of single paper copies of the various pages needed (Passport ID, original visa, entry stamp, previous extensions, TM6 card) - now I condense those down by having JPG images of everything on file and merely use a word processing application on the laptop (I'm my case 'Pages') to create documents containing the JPG images, save them as PDFs, and again print them out here.  So now I go with 1 page containing the ID and Visa, one page containing the TM6 and Entry Stamp and one page containing my previous extensions (4 to a page).  Makes for a much leaner and tidier submission.

Get the photo done beforehand too (2 if you also need a REP) and stick them to the forms.  If you need a REP write your mobile number at the bottom or top of the TM8.  There's no space for it on the form but they will hand you the form back and tell you to write it on if it's not there already.

When arriving at Immigration reception, have your passport ready to show the security desk (has a sign over it saying 'Foreign Visitor' or something like that.  They take an image of it before you are allowed to go through the metal detector).  Then, once into the main complex head straight over toward's your 2 o'clock and, if you're there early enough, there will be an officer at a portable desk right in front of the Immigration Office door issuing the pre-queue tickets.

For me the process is so easy I really don't see the point of paying 5,000 baht for an agent to do some of it, let alone 12,000.  Good luck.

Fantastic help brother (sister?), thank you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpokaneAl said:

Wealthy chef, I hope you will Post and let us know how things went with your visit to immigration and obtaining a extension of stay.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I will make a note to do so, thanks.  I think I'm going to go on Monday.  I'm not a morning person, but maybe I can make an exception this time.  7:30 sounds like the pits of hell. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wealthychef said:

I will make a note to do so, thanks.  I think I'm going to go on Monday.  I'm not a morning person, but maybe I can make an exception this time.  7:30 sounds like the pits of hell. 

Personally I always make a point to avoid Monday and Friday.  Too many folks whose day for getting what they needed to get done that either did, or will, fall on the adjoining weekend.

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

Personally I always make a point to avoid Monday and Friday.  Too many folks whose day for getting what they needed to get done that either did, or will, fall on the adjoining weekend.

I thought of that... it's probably a good idea.  You're right

On 2/7/2018 at 3:22 PM, wealthychef said:

OK, thanks.  That is such a confusing bureaucratic soup!  But to summarize: 

1.  I'm getting an extension of permission to STAY

2.  I'm getting a re-entry permit to LEAVE and RE-ENTER without losing permission to stay.  

Pointless bureaucracy if you asked me, and there is a reason everyone is confused I think about this.  It is really great to have this clarified.  Thanks again

After a few years it will be straight forward. Its not that complicated - and I do the marriage extension, far more tricky. Just get a checklist and complete the items.

It's not pointless. It keeps an army of bureaucrats employed in pensioned jobs shuffling paper in 26c degree office.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On February 8, 2018 at 4:03 PM, wealthychef said:

Yeah I think that's what I paid if I remember right for them to get all of our documents such as transferring our U.S. Marriage Certificate to a Thai Marriage Certificate and all the rest of the stuff they did for me the first year.  I believe I paid more than that total for everything but I'm on a marriage visa.  I'm definitely switching to a retirement visa when I turn 50 because I am in fact retired I just retired young I'm only 45.   If I were 50 years old I would qualify for the retirement visa now I wish they would make the age requirement lower.  I'm just lucky that my wife is a Thai citizen otherwise I probably wouldn't be living here.  

10 minutes ago, Koratjohn77 said:

If I were 50 years old I would qualify for the retirement visa now I wish they would make the age requirement lower. 

Well at 45 you just haven't learned the deeper lessons of life.  And the Thai government does not yet feel you are seasoned enough to merit.  They are well positioned to judge on such matters as merit.  ;-)

On 2/7/2018 at 12:29 AM, BritTim said:

If you want hand holding in Bangkok, Bangkok Buddy (http://bangkokbuddy.com/) is fine. They have a contact at Chaeng Wattana who does a good job. You will need to attend immigration, but they will set up an appointment, and transport you there and back.

I used bangkok buddy and Tanya for a visa run to cambodia a few years back.  Everything was a snap.  If you need help, I would not hesitate to go to her shop

On February 13, 2018 at 11:19 PM, wealthychef said:

Well at 45 you just haven't learned the deeper lessons of life.  And the Thai government does not yet feel you are seasoned enough to merit.  They are well positioned to judge on such matters as merit.  ;-)

Uh yeah you have absolutely no idea what I've been through and learned in life.  More than what most people see and learn in a lifetime.  If you knew me you'd be quite surprised.  

8 hours ago, Koratjohn77 said:

Uh yeah you have absolutely no idea what I've been through and learned in life.  More than what most people see and learn in a lifetime.  If you knew me you'd be quite surprised.  

I believe the referenced post was indeed meant to be in jest and the smiley at the end of it was intended to convey that message.

Fact:  Retirement extension used to be age 60 here - with special allowance at higher financials for age 55.  So it has now been reduced to age 50. 

Believe the trend will be up rather than down in the future as the world just can not afford to support all us retired folks without more income sources.  Retirement age is increasing.  Military/policing have always had lower age options due physical requirements (which I also took advantage of) - but even when first carrier ended they often go onto a new career so most do not consider it real retirement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wealthychef said:

Wow, touched a nerve there, eh?  Oh, man, ain't nobody got time to read all that.  I was just joking, but I guess at 50 I still haven't learned the deep lesson that sarcasm does not translate into print.  Sorry you didn't get my point, which was that basically there is no reason I can think of for the number 50, other than that maybe older people are more seasoned.  

BTW.  How did your application go?  Did you do it yet?  No snags?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SooKee said:

BTW.  How did your application go?  Did you do it yet?  No snags?

I took careful notes and will post on the subject perhaps tomorrow. I've been traveling.  Thanks for the ping.  Spoiler:  it did indeed take all day long just as last time.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Post mortem:  

I have posted a blog post with my notes from my visit here:  http://blog.wealthychef.net/index.php/2018/02/20/my-visit-to-bangkok-chang-wattana-government-complex-to-renew-my-visa/

1) Yup I think you're pretty much guaranteeing a full day if you arrive after 7:30.

2) You said they pointed out you were missing your 'initial stamp'.  Do you mean your first extension of stay stamp?

3) I only ever fold the forms in half across the middle so not sure how affixing the photo makes that difficult?

4) Seems like you encountered a day of slowish processing at the extension desks.  Unlucky.  I find they normally process 10-12 per 30 minutes.  Just show how one 'spanner in the works' can't start the domino effect.

5) Last time I went and got my C2 queue ticket just after they had processed my extension.  Next time I plan to go get it when there are still about 8 - 10 tickets in front of me in the extension wait.  It's the REP / C2 queue I find that's critical to get the timing right for, especially if you're to have any hope of getting all done and dusted by 12.  The ideal is to be able to pretty much straight from collecting your passport from the L2 queue and into the C2 desk (and I think you'd need to be handing your papers in there at 10:30 at the latest to get done by 12:00 so you really have to be lucky enough to get your extension forms in by 9:30 - 10:00).  By the time I got my passport back there were still around 40-50 (from memory) in front of me at the C2 desk.   You were lucky you were in straight away to the C2 desk.  Again, just shows how the volume of traffic can vary. And yes, the processing of the REP after you've handed in your documents is the main bottleneck, very slow, easily an hour plus wait.

6) As you say, they don't call out every ticket in the C2 queue, mostly I think because they have sequences of them being collected by agents or group applications with people being shepherded round by an agent / hand-holder. 

7) Definitely pays to have checklist of EVERY form and copy that you need before you go and thus be able to keep the need for the trip to the basement to one (for the just issued Extension copy as mentioned at Post # 19).  

Edited by SooKee

similar experience a couple weeks ago.  i also arrived about 9:15am and they were on L17.  got queue number L5X (can't recall the exact number but it was in the 50's).  i also did not have the copy of my entry stamp.  the OP and I both did conversions (i followed his thread on the subject back then).  i assumed i didn't need that since i'd recvd a non imm O and then did a one year extension.  but they needed a copy of the the stamp i got on my visa exempt entry that was converted to non imm O.  not a big deal, i got the queue number and then made the copy (it was the guy at the queue desk that told me i was missing this item).  i was there to transfer my extension/permit to stay stamp to a new passport, not for the extension itself.  i barely made it before the lunch break.  they put the stamp in as i was at the desk.  if it was the normal procedure where they take your passport and return it later with the stamp, i would have had to wait through the lunchbreak (i was served about 11:40 and done at 11:50).

interesting comment in above post about C2.  i wondered why every number was not called when i was doing a re-entry permit.

8 hours ago, SooKee said:

1) Yup I think you're pretty much guaranteeing a full day if you arrive after 7:30.

The early bird gets the worm.  Well, that's never going to be me.  Another example of what a pain this process is in my view.  I would have to get up at 5:30AM to get there at 7:30, and that was a stretch for me.  

2) You said they pointed out you were missing your 'initial stamp'.  Do you mean your first extension of stay stamp?

I forgot to photocopy the original visa extension stamp I think.  I guess every year you have to provide a photocopy of every extension you ever had?  Let's just say that surprises me.   But then again, I'm always newly surprised by Thailand's crappy inefficiency, and then surprised that I was every surprised at all, since it's so predictable.  

3) I only ever fold the forms in half across the middle so not sure how affixing the photo makes that difficult?

Obviously I don't.  Thirds for me so they can fit in a standard business envelope with is convenient to carry.  These are not rules for everyone to live by, just my own notes.  Do whatever you want with your forms.  

4) Seems like you encountered a day of slowish processing at the extension desks.  Unlucky.  I find they normally process 10-12 per 30 minutes.  Just show how one 'spanner in the works' can't start the domino effect.

Definitely!  Especially since the works are made out of tissue paper.  

5) Last time I went and got my C2 queue ticket just after they had processed my extension.  Next time I plan to go get it when there are still about 8 - 10 tickets in front of me in the extension wait.  It's the REP / C2 queue I find that's critical to get the timing right for, especially if you're to have any hope of getting all done and dusted by 12.  The ideal is to be able to pretty much straight from collecting your passport from the L2 queue and into the C2 desk (and I think you'd need to be handing your papers in there at 10:30 at the latest to get done by 12:00 so you really have to be lucky enough to get your extension forms in by 9:30 - 10:00).  By the time I got my passport back there were still around 40-50 (from memory) in front of me at the C2 desk.   You were lucky you were in straight away to the C2 desk.  Again, just shows how the volume of traffic can vary. And yes, the processing of the REP after you've handed in your documents is the main bottleneck, very slow, easily an hour plus wait.

Actually, a slicker trick is to get your C2 queue about half an hour before you get your passport back from the L2. If you can time it right, you are golden.  Even 15 minutes would be helpful.  

6) As you say, they don't call out every ticket in the C2 queue, mostly I think because they have sequences of them being collected by agents or group applications with people being shepherded round by an agent / hand-holder. 

Makes sense!

7) Definitely pays to have checklist of EVERY form and copy that you need before you go and thus be able to keep the need for the trip to the basement to one (for the just issued Extension copy as mentioned at Post # 19).  

Wouldn't it be nice if they provided a comprehensive list in advance of what you need, so you don't have to learn after two years of trial and error how to get it done in less than 8 hours?  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hop on this thread but I couldn't find an answer by typing keywords in the search box.

My O-A visa based on retirement (obtained at the embassy of my country) expires 19 July 2018. Under "number of entry" on the visa it is marked "M". 

My question is (are): Q1. Would going to Chaeng Wattana for an "extension of temporary stay" for the first time before 10 JUNE 2018 be too early (maybe early June 2018 or even May 2018) and/or Q2. How soon can I apply for an extension of temporary stay? As I will likely be leaving on a trip out of Thailand around 15 June and expect to be back in Thailand around end July. For which, from reading this thread, I know I would also require a "multiple re-entry permit".

I was out of the country once in October 2017 and got a "permission to stay" stamp in my passport until October 2018.

With thanks in advance for your advice. 

Edited by BigOm19

On 2/7/2018 at 12:32 PM, partington said:

Firstly, although it seems pedantic, you should use the correct terminology so that you fully understand what you are doing and so people know what you are referring to exactly.

You are not renewing a "visa": a visa is a permission to enter a country at a border, which you obtain outside a country in order to be allowed to enter, and the period of validity of a visa is the time within which you will be allowed to enter the country using it (except under very restricted circumstances involving a nominal 'conversion' of a tourist to a non-imm O visa which is instantly used and therefore not valid). The period of validity of the visa does not refer to how long you are allowed to stay in the country, merely how long you are allowed to use it to enter the country.

When you go to immigration to apply for an extension of the period you are allowed to stay on the grounds of retirement, you are not renewing a visa: you are asking for the time you have been allowed to stay after entering on that visa to be extended. You will not have a valid visa at this point, that is you will not be allowed to enter at a border with your one year permission to stay intact. This is because you no longer have a visa, and will be allowed entry on a visa waiver, which for most countries only allows you to stay 30 days.

To answer your question specifically:

I did my retirement extension at Chaengwattana Bangkok last week.  I arrived at 8am, and had the extension by 10:30 am, with only 25 people waiting before me.

You need the filled in TM7 form (titled 'application for extension of stay in the kingdom'  not 'application for visa'!) 

a 4cm X 6cm recent photo on white or grey background .

Photocopies of passport photo page, visa page, last entry page and TM 6 departure /entry card: also last retirement extension stamp if you have one.

Letter from Embassy detailing income. 

[EDIT : You should probably bring any documentary evidence of income just in case they ask, on the better safe than sorry principle, not because they are likely to ask.]

I would take Bank book and photocopies of it even if applying entirely on the basis of income in case they ask.

Need bank letter stating account balance if applying by combination of income/balance, and update bank book on day of application, with photocopy of updated page .

Proof of address (asked for if this is your first application, but not usually after that, but take it anyway)

Sign the photocopies at the bottom.

That was all I needed.

You will need to apply for a re-entry permit if you intend to leave Thailand during any period of your extension when your visa is no longer valid.

This was one of the best explanations I have read.