How long does it take to renew a retirement visa at immigration in Bangkok?

7 hours ago, BigOm19 said:

Sorry to hop on this thread but I couldn't find an answer by typing keywords in the search box.

My O-A visa based on retirement (obtained at the embassy of my country) expires 19 July 2018. Under "number of entry" on the visa it is marked "M". 

My question is (are): Q1. Would going to Chaeng Wattana for an "extension of temporary stay" for the first time before 10 JUNE 2018 be too early (maybe early June 2018 or even May 2018) and/or Q2. How soon can I apply for an extension of temporary stay? As I will likely be leaving on a trip out of Thailand around 15 June and expect to be back in Thailand around end July. For which, from reading this thread, I know I would also require a "multiple re-entry permit".

I was out of the country once in October 2017 and got a "permission to stay" stamp in my passport until October 2018.

With thanks in advance for your advice. 

You need to extend at immigration, if going that route, in September/October time period (up to 45 days before current permitted to stay ends).

You have the option to exit and return to Thailand before the end of 19 July for a new one year stay from your new entry date.  That would be what most people do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigOm19 said:

My O-A visa based on retirement (obtained at the embassy of my country) expires 19 July 2018. Under "number of entry" on the visa it is marked "M". 

My question is (are): Q1. Would going to Chaeng Wattana for an "extension of temporary stay" for the first time before 10 JUNE 2018 be too early (maybe early June 2018 or even May 2018) and/or Q2. How soon can I apply for an extension of temporary stay?

If the enter before date on your OA visa is 19 July you do not need to do an extension of stay. Your visa cannot be extended. You will extend the most recent one year permit to stay to stay your visa allowed.

If you do another entry on or before the enter before date on your visa you will get a new one year entry.

After the enter before date (19 July?) you will need to get a re-entry permit to keep your last one year entry valid if you want to travel.l

• Like 1

At Chaeng Watthana the wait-time for the extension of stay (desks in the "L" area) is a bit variable. It all depends on the how many people are in this category on that day, day of week, surrounding holidays, staff on leave, trainees on duty, etc. Very generally speaking I'd budget two - three hours. If you want to queue at 07:00 (doors open at 08:30), you can greatly minimize that. Some recommend arriving at 13:00, but that can be risky.

The wait for the re-entry permit can be lengthy IME. The queues to submit and pay is short, but the wait for the return of your passport is quite long as there are many folks doing this. I'd schedule at least 90 minutes for this activity. You can schedule a fixed time appointment online but this is challenging if you don't know how long the extension of stay will take. And you have to make copies of your recently acquired extension of stay. I like to do both on the same day.  

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/qrepsonline/online/queue/REPSAction.do?cmd=term

I'd download the PDFs, fill them electronically (save for use again in 12 months).

There are a ton of "checklists" here, easy to find via Google for site:thaivisa.com. I've used this one, although the initial officer always seems to return about 50% of the documents.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/retirementvisachecklist.pdf

On 5/11/2018 at 7:12 AM, ubonjoe said:

If the enter before date on your OA visa is 19 July you do not need to do an extension of stay. Your visa cannot be extended. You will extend the most recent one year permit to stay to stay your visa allowed.

If you do another entry on or before the enter before date on your visa you will get a new one year entry.

After the enter before date (19 July?) you will need to get a re-entry permit to keep your last one year entry valid if you want to travel.l

Hi UbonJoe,

Thank you very much to you and lopburi3 for your responses.

My "enter before date" on my VISA is 13 July 2018. So, if I go the route of exiting Thailand before that date, 'all' I have to get is a multiple re-entry permit. 

Q1. Do I have to provide the same documentation (passport pages, proof of funds) as an extension of temporary stay when applying for the "multiple re-entry permit" at Chaeng Wattana?

(So, EFFECTIVELY, the multiple re-entry permit is LIKE an "extension of temporary stay" though I'm not calling it that since it isn't?)

Q2. Does this mean I can get a multiple re-entry permit every year INDEFINITELY based on this one visa?

IMG_20180511_094414.jpg

IMG_20180511_094404.jpg

You can exit/return before 13 ends to obtain a new one year stay from that new date of entry.  Once on the new entry.  Failing to do that you would keep the current permitted to stay until October this year but if you exit country you would require a re-entry permit prior exit to continue to stay until October on your return.  A re-entry permit never extends any stay beyond what you have - extensions of say using TM7 done before current permitted to stay expires for one year at a time with proof of financials is what you do to remain in Thailand long term.

But as said a simple exit/return before visa expires in July would give you another year stay before extensions required.

Edited by lopburi3
Edit end date 13 rather than 14
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigOm19 said:

My "enter before date" on my VISA is 13 July 2018. So, if I go the route of exiting Thailand before that date, 'all' I have to get is a multiple re-entry permit. 

Q1. Do I have to provide the same documentation (passport pages, proof of funds) as an extension of temporary stay when applying for the "multiple re-entry permit" at Chaeng Wattana?

(So, EFFECTIVELY, the multiple re-entry permit is LIKE an "extension of temporary stay" though I'm not calling it that since it isn't?)

Q2. Does this mean I can get a multiple re-entry permit every year INDEFINITELY based on this one visa?

After you get a new one year entry on or before July 18th wou will need to get a a re-entry permit to keep that entry valid if you want to travel. You can get a single re-entry permit for a fee of 1000 baht or a multiple for 3800 baht.

1. You only need a copy of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6 departure card. No need for proof of funds.

2. No 

You will have to apply for an extension at immigration or get a new OA visa prior to the date your last entry ends.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigOm19 said:

If you depart and enter Thailand again on or before 13th July 2018 you will get permission to stay for one more year, however, if you plan any further exits or entries after that entry, then you will need a reentry permit.

After 12th July 2019, you will need to get a new visa, or you can apply for an extension of stay up to 30 (45 days in some offices) days before the 12th July 2019.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, wealthychef said:

Sigh, that's my concern.  Thanks for sharing that.  I have also heard it's a good strategy to arrive after lunch and get a number, as they try to clear the lines before leaving for the day.  I tried it once and it worked pretty well.  

"...as they try to clear the lines before leaving for the day".

They don't just try, they have to clear everyone before they all go home!  Try for the last of the issued queue tickets after 3pm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 12:44 PM, BigOm19 said:

IMG_20180511_094414.jpg

IMG_20180511_094404.jpg

Sorry, me again. Thank you for your previous replies, ubonjoe, lopburi3 and Mattd.

I haven't exited the country.

If I stay till the 21 October 2018 permit to stay and apply for an extension of temporary stay (without exiting and re-entering before 13 July 2018 expiry of "enter before" date on O-A visa) with all the required paperwork (proof of funds etc), will I get an extension of temporary stay till October 2019?

Thank you again in advance.

3 minutes ago, BigOm19 said:

If I stay till the 21 October 2018 permit to stay and apply for an extension of temporary stay (without exiting and re-entering before 13 July 2018 expiry of "enter before" date on O-A visa) with all the required paperwork (proof of funds etc), will I get an extension of temporary stay till October 2019?

Yes, but you need to apply during the last 30 days of that stay. Don't wait until the last minute, there's always some additional stuff immigration want.

But if you do a border hop before 13 July 18 you'll get another 1 year stamp anyway.

• Like 1