B40k bail for Russian woman found in possession of dead coral in Phuket

webfact

B40k bail for Russian woman found in possession of dead coral in Phuket

Shela Riva

1517984948_1-org.jpg

Some of the dead coral and shells found at the bungalow of Liliya Karmanova and Polina Lihtmen. Photo: DMCR Phuket office

PHUKET: The 20-year-old Russian woman who was found to be in illegal possession of dead corals at her bungalow in Karon last week is out on bail while awaiting her court sentence, Nares Choopueng from the Department Marine Coastal Resources (DMCR) Phuket office confirmed today (Feb 7).

Mr Nares also confirmed that not only Liliya Karmanova, 20, from Novosibirsk in Siberia was charged for the illegal possession of coral, but also her friend who was sharing their Karon bungalow, Polina Lihtmen.

“Both women were charged for the illegal possession of coral and are on bail of probably the standard amount for this charge, B40,000,” said Mr Nares.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/b40k-bail-for-russian-woman-found-in-possession-of-dead-coral-in-phuket-65878.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-02-07

1 hour ago, Topdoc said:

Wouldn't a warning and perhaps a small fine be sufficient? 

These look like bits of coral that could be lying around on the beach. 

And what about the 11 billion pieces of plastic?

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/11-billion-pieces-of-plastic-bringing-disease-from-thailand-to-great-barrier-reef

my thoughts exactly, just looks to me like a pile of shells and dead stuff you find walking on a beach, unless they can prove she took it from a coral bed while diving then I can't see how she has done anything wrong.

Just like the smoking ban enforced under marine protection law - unless someone is caught littering on the beach I fail to see how there are any laws broken by smoking and properly disposing of the butt/litter

44 minutes ago, smedly said:

my thoughts exactly, just looks to me like a pile of shells and dead stuff you find walking on a beach, unless they can prove she took it from a coral bed while diving then I can't see how she has done anything wrong.

Just like the smoking ban enforced under marine protection law - unless someone is caught littering on the beach I fail to see how there are any laws broken by smoking and properly disposing of the butt/litter

Possession is illegal, in Thailand same as European countries, USA, Australia, etc.

Must admit I don't know about Russia.

21 hours ago, Topdoc said:

Wouldn't a warning and perhaps a small fine be sufficient? 

These look like bits of coral that could be lying around on the beach. 

And what about the 11 billion pieces of plastic?

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/11-billion-pieces-of-plastic-bringing-disease-from-thailand-to-great-barrier-reef

It is called priorities.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:04 PM, stevenl said:

Possession is illegal, in Thailand same as European countries, USA, Australia, etc.

Must admit I don't know about Russia.

It is incorrect to claim that there is a blanket prohibition in the US, Europe, etc. It would be illegal in the US to own Thai coral without documentation of legal ownership, e.g. bought before 1976, because it is illegal in Thailand to possess Thai coral. There are not many species totally unique to Thailand, but if you are just returning from Thailand and get caught in a customs inspection...

Ownership of certain species of endangered corals is  prohibited in the US. Some states prohibit ownership of some species peculiar to their waters.
There is no blanket prohibition. I believe the same is essentially true in the other nations you mention.

Whn in doubt inquire of your nation's customs department.

In Thailand leave sleeping corals lie.

That said, I have picked some up, examined it, and put it back down.

I do think 40K is a bit steep, but I guess they pose a flight risk as Immigration Control has not been completely effective at halting scofflaws lately.

15 hours ago, stevenl said:

Corals can, with one or two exceptions, not be legally taken into the USA, Europe, Australia, etc.

Nothing different than saying driving is illegal.  To be legal both require simple licenses.  CITES for coral, driving license to drive.  Pay a fee and illegal becomes legal.

5 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Nothing different than saying driving is illegal.  To be legal both require simple licenses.  CITES for coral, driving license to drive.  Pay a fee and illegal becomes legal.

True SP. 

However, EVERYTHING is "for sale" in Thailand. 

6 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Utterly nonsense.

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Utterly nonsense.

Do you not know CITES?  You buy a permit/certificate, and import coral/fish    various animals on the endangered list etc. and you can legally import said items.

Do you know about a license to drive?  You take a test, pay for the permit/certificate and you are legal.

How is this utter nonsense?  Please explain how paying for something that requires a permit or license is "utterly nonsense".

Meanwhile in other news, national park rangers who arrested a tycoon for illegal poaching are facing disciplinary measures and possible criminal charges for not collecting 20 baht admission fee from the four people involved.

It's a mad mad mad world in Prayuthland.

9 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Do you not know CITES?  You buy a permit/certificate, and import coral/fish    various animals on the endangered list etc. and you can legally import said items.

Do you know about a license to drive?  You take a test, pay for the permit/certificate and you are legal.

How is this utter nonsense?  Please explain how paying for something that requires a permit or license is "utterly nonsense".

Comparing obtaining a DL to an important permission for corals is simply that, nonsense, they're of a totally different order.

9 hours ago, Denim said:

Meanwhile in other news, national park rangers who arrested a tycoon for illegal poaching are facing disciplinary measures and possible criminal charges for not collecting 20 baht admission fee from the four people involved.

It's a mad mad mad world in Prayuthland.

Seems your post is incorrect.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Comparing obtaining a DL to an important permission for corals is simply that, nonsense, they're of a totally different order.

You're hilarious.  It is not nonsense.  Both things can be easily obtained by filling out some paperwork and paying a fee.  You saying that importing or having coral is illegal is nonsense.  It's only illegal if you don't pay a fee and get a CITES permit/certificate.

Stop with the scare tactics and spreading of false information.  

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

You're hilarious.  It is not nonsense.  Both things can be easily obtained by filling out some paperwork and paying a fee.  You saying that importing or having coral is illegal is nonsense.  It's only illegal if you don't pay a fee and get a CITES permit/certificate.

Stop with the scare tactics and spreading of false information.  

I am of a different view, and find that your comparison 'obtaining a license to be allowed to possess corals' is the same as 'obtaining a license to be allowed to drive a car' is ridiculous.

And your last sentence would be even more so, if possible.

Just found this from Google.

How do I get an import export license?
If the Department of Commerce's guidelines state you need a license to export your product, you must apply for a license via the Department of Commerce's SNAP-R site. Pay close attention to the specific instructions. Obtain an import license. You must obtain an import license from each country you plan to export to.

Just Google CITES permit, it's all there.

Archived