Thailand’s 'Tiger Temple' To Reopen As Tiger Zoo

webfact

‘Tiger Temple’ To Reopen As Tiger Zoo

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

Tigertemple-696x464.jpg  

A visitor at Tiger Temple in 2008. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

KANCHANABURI — Thailand’s most infamous tiger petting zoo may not have used up its nine lives when it was raided and shut down following gruesome discoveries two years ago.

Though closure of the so-called Tiger Temple was hailed as a victory for wildlife protection, national park officials and the head of an animal welfare organization confirmed it will reopen this month – with 24 new tigers.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/02/07/tiger-temple-reopen-tiger-zoo/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-02-07

I remember a young American girl was here backpacking. The kind of young backpacker who s**** all over their country and culture and thinks that cultures in developing counties can do no wrong. She told me she was going to the aforementioned tiger temple. I told her not to. It's just plain cruel. She told me she'd read up on it. She told me she met other people who'd been there and they all said it was great and the tigers were happy. Oh, she mentioned about how Buddhists treat animals with great respect. I tried to explain how nature and wild and dangerous animals work, but she wasn't having any of it. Who'd ever exploit an animal for money, right? 

Anyhoo, moral of the story is that regardless of how good or bad this new 'tiger zoo' is, you'll always get <deleted> idiots wanting to visit. That chance for many to post a narcissistic selfie with such a beautiful and regal creature trumps using logic and applying compassion. Very sad. 

22 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Anyhoo, moral of the story is that regardless of how good or bad this new 'tiger zoo' is, you'll always get <deleted> idiots wanting to visit. That chance for many to post a narcissistic selfie with such a beautiful and regal creature trumps using logic and applying compassion. Very sad. 

They probably want to bank on the billions of Chinese arriving here yearly, and they frankly do not give a toss about the welfare of the animals.

If you would openly put a knife in the tiger to make them look better on a picture they would line up for said picture.

Reopening of the place is sad but expected. Too much money going round there; too hard to resist.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

it will reopen this month – with 24 new tigers.

Seriously!?!

I can't think of any wildlife reserves in the world that has taken on 24 tigers at once except maybe as a temporary measure due to short-term flooding of their habitat.

Authorities must investigate the origins of these animals. It's hard to be that the tigers aren't part of some animal trafficking.

I know this question will not be answered.  If someone knows the answer they will think it is better to be quiet.  But here goes.

Who was 'protecting' this place while it was open as it became increasingly obvious it was a nasty place, making money, not a temple place making merit.  Many international organisations explained why it should be closed and it stayed open.

The happy, caring  abbot was shocked when skins and embryos and body parts were found when finally action was taken.  Was anything done to punish him or the staff?  I believe some staff were told not to worry about their jobs and now, a Tiger Zoo is to open next to the old location, probably with tigers brought back from wherever they have been kept.

How much transparency will there be about the new ownership?

On 2/8/2018 at 7:37 AM, Bob12345 said:

They probably want to bank on the billions of Chinese arriving here yearly, and they frankly do not give a toss about the welfare of the animals.

If you would openly put a knife in the tiger to make them look better on a picture they would line up for said picture.

Reopening of the place is sad but expected. Too much money going round there; too hard to resist.

And a great  opportunity to increase production of Tiger parts  with that influx  of Chinese, numerous new contacts to be made.

• 5 months later...
On 2/7/2018 at 1:53 PM, webfact said:

Though closure of the so-called Tiger Temple was hailed as a victory for wildlife protection, national park officials and the head of an animal welfare organization confirmed it will reopen this month – with 24 new tigers.

Same M.O. different name.

Business as usual.....

image.jpeg.ef29f2b470c2b0af5c35e97d9098cf84.jpeg

Me & the Mrs passed this place while on the way to Hell Fire pass, it was still open at the time but I refused to go in, I hate to see these majestic creatures treated in this way. I hope many of you out there feel the same way. :wai:

I too went to Hell Fire Pass in 2008, but alas also attended the Temple as it was a listed attraction for our tour group. I was appalled at the level of sedation the animals were under as it seemed to me that they were near death. We weren’t allowed to touch the animals as you see in the picture above but we did have pictures of ourselves with the big cats. Saddened by this news. I thought that the closure of this ‘temple’ would have been permanent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived