Visit Srisaket next week!

Awa Shuen

Hello from HK! I'm new to here, a chinese guy.

I have a Thai gf with her for 2 years, she is from Issan Srisaket, she bought land last year so I paid for building a house on her land for future. It's almost done, I have a long Chinese new year holiday so we will go there to have a look.

They are farmers so yes, my house is like in some jungle, 2 hours drive from Ubon city. As you guys know HK is a super busy tiny city like Singapore, so I think this visit will be quite interesting. My gf already warned me she will asked me to do all her farm work to experience how tough it is, cuz in past I complained about how exhausting to work a office job 14 hours a day everyday with computer. But she said its nothing compare with their farm work. But of coz, I'm not come here to compete who works harder. Just to see her family and soon we will get marry. This is the main reason I head to Srisaket.

Just wondered if any chance to pull a cable to my house for internet installation in such kind of village? I really doubt this. This is quite important for me coz I'm a designer, need internet to send files and communicate with customers. Not for now cuz I will still work a few more years in HK before i move to there, but just asking.

She said even drive to Srisaket town it still takes 1 hour, so I don't expect any nightlife, I can create party in my house ;-)

I know many of you here know Issan so well so gald to hear any advise!

Peace!

IMG_2463.JPG

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello from HK! I'm new to here, a chinese guy.

I have a Thai gf with her for 2 years, she is from Issan Srisaket, she bought land last year so I paid for building a house on her land for future. It's almost done, I have a long Chinese new year holiday so we will go there to have a look.

They are farmers so yes, my house is like in some jungle, 2 hours drive from Ubon city. As you guys know HK is a super busy tiny city like Singapore, so I think this visit will be quite interesting. My gf already warned me she will asked me to do all her farm work to experience how tough it is, cuz in past I complained about how exhausting to work a office job 14 hours a day everyday with computer. But she said its nothing compare with their farm work. But of coz, I'm not come here to compete who works harder. Just to see her family and soon we will get marry. This is the main reason I head to Srisaket.

Just wondered if any chance to pull a cable to my house for internet installation in such kind of village? I really doubt this. This is quite important for me coz I'm a designer, need internet to send files and communicate with customers. Not for now cuz I will still work a few more years in HK before i move to there, but just asking.

She said even drive to Srisaket town it still takes 1 hour, so I don't expect any nightlife, I can create party in my house ;-)

I know many of you here know Issan so well so gald to hear any advise!

Peace!
IMG_2463.JPG.780513bab2245034c4d5f993fe4112da.JPG

Welcome to Sisaket.
Been living & working there for about 6 years. It’s slow, quiet but I like it. There are a few different restaurants there, an aquarium, football stadium and the usual supermarkets. Drop into ‘Living in the past’ as it’s the oldest western restaurant and Frank is a wealth of info about the area. Ubon is a very large city with lots of everything you need and don’t need!
Good luck.
Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Welcome to Sisaket.
Been living & working there for about 6 years. It’s slow, quiet but I like it. There are a few different restaurants there, an aquarium, football stadium and the usual supermarkets. Drop into ‘Living in the past’ as it’s the oldest western restaurant and Frank is a wealth of info about the area. Ubon is a very large city with lots of everything you need and don’t need!
Good luck.
Dave.

Thanks Dave! You live in village or town? The internet is workable at there?

Thanks Dave! You live in village or town? The internet is workable at there?

Lived in both. Most places can get either 3bb or True cable at decent speeds/costs. I wouldn’t say 100% of places but maybe 70%(at a guess).
What is the name of the village in question please?

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

Lived in both. Most places can get either 3bb or True cable at decent speeds/costs. I wouldn’t say 100% of places but maybe 70%(at a guess).
What is the name of the village in question please?

Her village name is Kantaraluk (maybe wrong spelled...), really no idea where it is, but we found her sister's house nearby on Google map.

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 7.21.02 PM.png

If you can be a bit more precise about the location...if you're in a little village where nobody is yet connected you might have to look into satellite powered internet. But if anybody nearby has got internet you won't have a problem. In the worst case scenario you'd have to pay for the wire to connect your house. Welcome to Sisaket, living here for 15 + and still happy. :shock1:

4 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Welcome to Sisaket.
Good luck.
Dave.

The only things that are slow are unfortunately the driver's brains. If you can make it in Sisaket, you can make it everywhere. 

our home is next to the jungle about 1o km out of Sisaket.  Internet is not a problem in our town.   Dilligad's  suggestion to stop by "Living in the Past" is an excellent suggestion, Frank knows the community well , is a very friendly German guy and his food is great.  You couldn't have chosen a place more the opposite of Hong Kong, I lived in Manhattan for 6 years and love the quiet of Sisaket.  Kantharalak has pretty countryside and a decent pizza parlour 

33 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

If you can be a bit more precise about the location...if you're in a little village where nobody is yet connected you might have to look into satellite powered internet. But if anybody nearby has got internet you won't have a problem. In the worst case scenario you'd have to pay for the wire to connect your house. Welcome to Sisaket, living here for 15 + and still happy. :shock1:

32 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

It's good.

P.S. The place must be Kantharalak, 75 km away from Sisaket city. Near Cambodia and not so far away from Laos. 

26 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

The only things that are slow are unfortunately the driver's brains. If you can make it in Sisaket, you can make it everywhere. 

Thank you so much Jenny, very detail. I never been her home before so really hard to tell the excatly location. Once i arrived i will locate it on google map and show u guys. I know the life will be a big change for me, i been Canberra for 2 years for school, that place already super quiet for me, after i back to HK then realize the goodness of a quiet place. HK is a living hell, work like a dog but live in a dog cage size apartment (im sure way worse than Paris, HK now already hit #1 for the highest rental rate in the world). So now i just work very hard and save up for future in Srisaket, I really want to start a bug farm at there.

32 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

our home is next to the jungle about 1o km out of Sisaket.  Internet is not a problem in our town.   Dilligad's  suggestion to stop by "Living in the Past" is an excellent suggestion, Frank knows the community well , is a very friendly German guy and his food is great.  You couldn't have chosen a place more the opposite of Hong Kong, I lived in Manhattan for 6 years and love the quiet of Sisaket.  Kantharalak has pretty countryside and a decent pizza parlour 

Thanks mate, yep i understand once i moved to there i should stop thinking about the past, im ready to step into the farm do what they do, just need a little bit of internet so I can keep up my freelance design work. At least food is not a problem in her village, and I have a house already, so i can just to make a little spare money from my profession, no more OT and card the time everyday.

Thanks mate, yep i understand once i moved to there i should stop thinking about the past, im ready to step into the farm do what they do, just need a little bit of internet so I can keep up my freelance design work. At least food is not a problem in her village, and I have a house already, so i can just to make a little spare money from my profession, no more OT and card the time everyday.

Already briefly mentioned, but also go visit ‘Pizza4u’near the bus station in Kanthralak. Great stone oven cooked pizza’s and usually a good bunch of guys there. I believe there is also another western place called The Black Dog there too.

Her village name is Kantaraluk (maybe wrong spelled...), really no idea where it is, but we found her sister's house nearby on Google map.
5a7aeac331014_ScreenShot2017-07-07at7_21_02PM.png.9eefd826bfc527ffdbc1d7b57d34bf21.png

That picture says ‘Non Samran’ which is near Khon Kaen.
Are you sure where your going?

14 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

That picture says ‘Non Samran’ which is near Khon Kaen.
Are you sure where your going?

I live in Kantharalak and like it. 

On the left side (and off some kms) of the road from Kantharalak to Khao Phra Wihan is a village named Non Samran.

Archived