Visit Srisaket next week!

Awa Shuen

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

No, the opposite, mate. He’s resort is out in the countryside near the disputed (Thai/Cambodian) temple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The temple that caused both countries to shoot at each other? OP, you might feel like home, there's a "Hong Kong Garden" in Sisaket.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

The temple that caused both countries to shoot at each other? OP, you might feel like home, there's a "Hong Kong Garden" in Sisaket.

555 yes yes I heard about that in other post, definitely I will go have a look, order some weird HK dishes and see their reaction LOL

Just now, Awa Shuen said:

555 yes yes I heard about that in other post, definitely I will go have a look, order some weird HK dishes and see their reaction LOL

There's a high possibility that Khun Peter ran out of livin' monkey brain, but I'm certain that he'll stock up soon. Can't make that up, can you?

2 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

There's a high possibility that Khun Peter ran out of livin' monkey brain, but I'm certain that he'll stock up soon. Can't make that up, can you?

Sure I can, but I need to check if it is a "Hong Kong Garden" or "Farang-used-to-live-in-Hong-Kong Garden", usually western guys in HK they don't really eat HK local food...

Jenny & Mrs. Jenny might like to turn up on Valentines night as Peter has, (in my opinion) one of the best guitar players/singers in Sisaket performing there that night.

1 minute ago, DILLIGAD said:

Jenny & Mrs. Jenny might like to turn up on Valentines night as Peter has, (in my opinion) one of the best guitar players/singers in Sisaket performing there that night.

Time to lift the magic. Jenny was my ex, my best friend and somebody I'm really missing a lot. She passed away last year, in 2017. Sad was that I couldn't even say goodbye to her.

But thanks for the good news, will be there. Who's playing??. I hope that isn't too off topic, OP might want to join in with his Missus?

Time to lift the magic. Jenny was my ex, my best friend and somebody I'm really missing a lot. She passed away last year, in 2017. Sad was that I couldn't even say goodbye to her.

But thanks for the good news, will be there. Who's playing??. I hope that isn't too off topic, OP might want to join in with his Missus?

The Thai guys name is Tripob and he plays in The Dude Bar weekly between Thursdays & Sunday’s. He plays a mean slide guitar and sings a vast array of mostly western songs. Highly recommended.

41 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

The Thai guys name is Tripob and he plays in The Dude Bar weekly between Thursdays & Sunday’s. He plays a mean slide guitar and sings a vast array of mostly western songs. Highly recommended.

I think I've seen/heard him at Leo's before. If it's the same guy, he's brilliant....aeehh lovely. Dude bar, mate? 

1 hour ago, Awa Shuen said:

Sure I can, but I need to check if it is a "Hong Kong Garden" or "Farang-used-to-live-in-Hong-Kong Garden", usually western guys in HK they don't really eat HK local food...

I own HKGdn. I lived in HK for 10 yrs, working for Next Media and was part of the team who set up Apple Daily Newspaper. I enjoyed HK very much (especially the food) and still have family and friends there. My wife is a fluent Cantonese speaker and a good Cantonese cook. In my view HK is one of the world's greatest cities and puts conurbations such as Bkk to shame. In Ssk I have various successful farming enterprises as well as the restaurant. Both my wife and I have PR in HK.

1 hour ago, pnustedt said:

I own HKGdn. I lived in HK for 10 yrs, working for Next Media and was part of the team who set up Apple Daily Newspaper. I enjoyed HK very much (especially the food) and still have family and friends there. My wife is a fluent Cantonese speaker and a good Cantonese cook. In my view HK is one of the world's greatest cities and puts conurbations such as Bkk to shame. In Ssk I have various successful farming enterprises as well as the restaurant. Both my wife and I have PR in HK.

If you don't mind, I have a few questions...just out of curiosity...

How can you both enjoy living in a place like Hong Kong and in a place like Sisaket, which are so different?

Then, could you elaborate a little bit on your farming activities?

It is maybe the first time I hear someone, especially a foreigner and especially in Isaan, talking about "successful" farming.

Of course, it all depends on what you call "farming", hence my question.

I have had many contacts with farmers and communities of farmers, both Thai and foreigners, all over the country.

From what I learned from all of them, it appears that "basic" farming (growing a crop and selling it as it is) doesn't generate profits, at least meaningful ones, and often leads to losses, notably when the weather doesn't cooperate.

For this reason, most of them are turning to making and selling products with some added value...a simple example would be to sell jam rather than the fruits themselves...

Asoke Community, which I mentioned earlier, is exactly doing that, and so are others in Chachaengsao, Chiang Mai and other places.

10 hours ago, Brunolem said:

It is easy to find as long as you are on the right road, the 221.

From the road 24, you turn left or right (depending on where you come from) to join road 221 in direction to Kantharalak city.

Then you drive about 10km and you will find the main entrance to the community on the right side...there is a big sign...along with the supermarket where they sell parts of their products.

If you drive 10km along Hwy 221* from Hwy 24 in the direction of Kantharalak you arrive at Kantharalak's main landmark, the white shrine clos to the middle of Kantharalak town. If you drive 10km on 221 from Hwy 24 in the other direction you pass thru my Thai wife's family village (of Santisuk) and arrive at to our house. I drive that 20km from my house to Kantharalak on 221 at least every other day and have done for 10 years.

You got me beat Brunoelm. Have never seen that Asoke community or a big sign (must be in Thai, but surely not 10km south of 24 on the 221 unless inside Kantharalak town). Thought I knew every inch of that journey and can't picture where it could be. Bergen's wife has family closely connected with the big Asoke community along the Mun river east of Ubon/Warin - fascinating village btw - and he's never mentioned the Kantharalak community to me even though we meet up regularly, including at my place and Kantharalak.

This is not meant to be a 'you don't know what you're talking about' kind of post - I'm genuinely intrigued to know more!! Would probably be a willing customer.

*  For the benefit of Awa Shuen, that's the main highway between Kantharalak town and Sisaket town 

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:

If you drive 10km along Hwy 221* from Hwy 24 in the direction of Kantharalak you arrive at Kantharalak's main landmark, the white shrine clos to the middle of Kantharalak town. If you drive 10km on 221 from Hwy 24 in the other direction you pass thru my Thai wife's family village (of Santisuk) and arrive at to our house. I drive that 20km from my house to Kantharalak on 221 at least every other day and have done for 10 years.

You got me beat Brunoelm. Have never seen that Asoke community or a big sign (must be in Thai, but surely not 10km south of 24 on the 221 unless inside Kantharalak town). Thought I knew every inch of that journey and can't picture where it could be. Bergen's wife has family closely connected with the big Asoke community along the Mun river east of Ubon/Warin - fascinating village btw - and he's never mentioned the Kantharalak community to me even though we meet up regularly, including at my place and Kantharalak.

This is not meant to be a 'you don't know what you're talking about' kind of post - I'm genuinely intrigued to know more!! Would probably be a willing customer.

*  For the benefit of Awa Shuen, that's the main highway between Kantharalak town and Sisaket town 

The Asoke community is about half way down the 221 from the 24 to Kantharalak. Turn right at the "gated" entrance to Ban Kratchang Yai, and the community is on your right hand side after a couple hundred meters.

51 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

https://goo.gl/maps/RFMWjyfagSy

here is where it is located

Ah yes - the "Priests Camp Site". Have been intrigued by that descriptor on Google Earth for some time and have had Ban Krachaeng on my exercise/walk mental list for a while now. Thanks to Bergen too.

12 hours ago, Brunolem said:

If you don't mind, I have a few questions...just out of curiosity...

How can you both enjoy living in a place like Hong Kong and in a place like Sisaket, which are so different?

Then, could you elaborate a little bit on your farming activities?

I find it difficult to answer your first question because I find that the diversity of the two cultures a challenge and relish the diversity, whereas your question implies that it is an obstacle. My farming activities consist of rice farming (my main income), a pineapple farm, citrus grove and cashew orchard.

11 hours ago, bergen said:

The Asoke community is about half way down the 221 from the 24 to Kantharalak. Turn right at the "gated" entrance to Ban Kratchang Yai, and the community is on your right hand side after a couple hundred meters.

Thanks for confirming what I was saying...

If Santisuk want a few photos, I can post them...after I fetch them...

9 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Ah yes - the "Priests Camp Site". Have been intrigued by that descriptor on Google Earth for some time and have had Ban Krachaeng on my exercise/walk mental list for a while now. Thanks to Bergen too.

I think that "priests camp" is not a good description.

I spent some time here with my wife, invited by the village chief (poo yai baan).

They closely follow the Buddhist teachings, yet they are not a sect praying all day long.

There are some monks and a nice temple, clearly separated from the rest of the community.

There is a school with regular teachers, not monks.

All in all, the feeling is more "zen" than traditional Thai Theraveda...the teachers made me think of sensei in martial arts...discipline is strong and enforced with the end of a stick.

2 hours ago, pnustedt said:

I find it difficult to answer your first question because I find that the diversity of the two cultures a challenge and relish the diversity, whereas your question implies that it is an obstacle. 

Not an obstacle, but more of a contradiction as in "it's either...or...".

Generally, people are either "city people" or "country people"...people living in New York wouldn't want to move to a farm in Montana, and farmers in Montana wouldn't want to move to New York...that is unless there was some constraint to do so, of course.

2 hours ago, pnustedt said:

My farming activities consist of rice farming (my main income), a pineapple farm, citrus grove and cashew orchard.

I imagine you have a very large farming area, in order to get a significant income from rice and pineapple with their depressed prices.

The only guy in the village who makes some money with rice has about 80 rai.

My wife's best friend has 50 rai and don't make any money.

All that is after deduction of production costs and after the family (often the extended version) got their fair share of the crop...

I imagine you have a very large farming area, in order to get a significant income from rice and pineapple with their depressed prices.

The only guy in the village who makes some money with rice has about 80 rai.
My wife's best friend has 50 rai and don't make any money.
All that is after deduction of production costs and after the family (often the extended version) got their fair share of the crop...

I believe he does far more than just grow rice. He owns a number of harvesters and The like.

27 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I believe he does far more than just grow rice. He owns a number of harvesters and The like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk6

Which would mean a very large exploitation, in order to recoup the money invested in machinery...

My neighbour, with one old harvester, manages to harvest 800 rai (not his) in one month during the rice harvesting season, in november-december...

Generally, people are either "city people" or "country people"...people living in New York wouldn't want to move to a farm in Montana, and farmers in Montana wouldn't want to move to New York...that is unless there was some constraint to do so, of course.

Maybe people are not clear-cut as you suggest, if they are from differing countries/cultures or very well traveled?

3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Maybe people are not clear-cut as you suggest, if they are from differing countries/cultures or very well traveled?

People having worked in a big city and retiring upcountry are common...many of them are actually in Thailand, including myself.

Yet, working age people moving from working in a big city to farming are not that common.

As far as I am concerned, even though I don't like much big city life, I'd prefer working a well paid office job in some metropolis, rather than getting involved in large scale farming in Isaan! 

But that's only me...

On 2/10/2018 at 10:09 AM, Brunolem said:

DILLIGAD  Maybe people are not clear-cut as you suggest, if they are from differing countries/cultures or very well traveled?

Spot on, Dilligad, I had the same thoughts regarding this statement. Not trying to split hairs now, but what people who're living in New York want and what farmers in Montana wouldn't want is a strange example/ Plenty of farmers from Montana might be much happier to live in New York, of course having the right job/ friends, etc...

Not all farmers are simple people who couldn't live in a big city. And that's the same in Thailand. A lot of people with the right skills for a particular job who find a decent job in Bangkok, might fall in love with the city life and stay there forever. And then it's hard for them to go back to their rural life. It's sad that most people in Isaan don't have factories to work in,  so there're not too many possible jobs just because the government doesn't care about the little ones. 

Unfortunately, does the little man not have the chance to read different stuff on the internet that would open their eyes. But they're getting there, just a matter of time. 

On 2/10/2018 at 10:09 AM, Brunolem said:

Can rednecks settle in NY nowadays - what is the world coming to? Nobody would want to move to a farm in Montana. your analogy is incongruous.

Archived