51 Day Burning Ban From March 1st Announced to Combat Growing Smoke Problem

snoop1130

51 Day Burning Ban From March 1st Announced to Combat Growing Smoke Problem

by CityNews

no-burning.jpg

CityNews – This year’s no-burning period has been set at 51 days between March 1st and April 20th this year to combat the amount of smog created by agricultural burning that occurs this time every year.

According to the government’s latest reports, the PM10 AQI in Chiang Mai measurements read between 35 and 103 micro-grams per cubic metre, below the government’s maximum safe level of 120. Many local air quality readers also measure PM2.5 levels that have produced results of up to 170 on the AQI index.

In an attempt to reduce the amount of smoke and smog pollution in Chiang Mai, the local government have announced a 51 day no-burning period where burning in an open air space will be illegal.

Last year, Chiang Mai Governor Prawin Chamniprasart led a 60-day blanket ban on all burning from February 20 to April 20. This year the ban will be dealt with independently by each district chief officer and is nine days shorter than 2017.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/51-day-burning-ban-march-1st-announced-combat-growing-smoke-problem/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-2-7

The PM 2.5 levels have been way above 100 for a few days now ☹️

They announce a ban weeks in advance , so the burning is now spread over 3 months instead of 1. I feel very sorry for the majority of people who do not have air purifiers in their homes. 

My daughters school ( international ) has already got their air purifiers out of storage and put them in the classrooms  and don’t allow the children to play outside when the air quality is so poor.   

I hope the local schools also do this, but probably not ☹️

Very sad that the people in charge don’t seem to care about the long term health implications. It’s the one thing that may cause us to leave here one day ?

2 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Should be banned all year round  !

Yes, and all the rural farmers should be made to buy mulching equipment and tractors to plough under their farmland, that land that is too steep to plough can be done by helicopter ploughs. And smoke that's blown in from across the border, we could build a Trump style wall perhaps, just to keep it out!

SURE, that will stop the problem...

You would have to be out of your cotton picking mind to visit this country, Malaysia, Indonesia during the burning season. 

Malaysia and Indonesia are a health hazard worse than I have ever experienced in my life.

So what do you suggest the farmers do, how do hill farmers and subsistence farmers clear the ground to plant the next crop?

And:

if Thailand cracked the burning problem and farmers stopped burning, what are we going to do when we find out that has hardly changed the air quality since much of the pollution is blown in across the border?

I believe I have heard this before,every year same story,

there have been threats of imprisonment for smoking

a cig on Thai beaches,here burn the forests ,fields,affect

so many people's lives,have yet to hear anyone been brought

to book for burning.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

So what do you suggest the farmers do, how do hill farmers and subsistence farmers clear the ground to plant the next crop?

And:

if Thailand cracked the burning problem and farmers stopped burning, what are we going to do when we find out that has hardly changed the air quality since much of the pollution is blown in across the border?

Go back to growing poppies, more profit, less smoke at the source.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In an attempt to reduce the amount of smoke and smog pollution in Chiang Mai, the local government have announced a 51 day no-burning period where burning in an open air space will be illegal.

Yeah, yeah. Will it have an impact? Will it hell? Will they enforce it? Will they hell? Meanwhile, the farmers have got another three weeks to burn hay while the pollution shines.

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Yes, and all the rural farmers should be made to buy mulching equipment and tractors to plough under their farmland, that land that is too steep to plough can be done by helicopter ploughs. And smoke that's blown in from across the border, we could build a Trump style wall perhaps, just to keep it out!

Im farming! 50rai. Bananas, figs, pappaya, guava, olives, pumpkins, watermelons and mangoes. Dont need to burn anything at all. Its laziness. Pure and simple. I rotor and plow fields by hand with a tiller that cost the same as paying someone else to plow the fields once per year. Leftovers are left to naturally breakdown and used as mulch and go back to the soil. I have a mulcher cheap chinese. It died within minutes of operation but actually never needed it.

Theres no excuse at all for burning. Infact our neighbours stopped burning there sugar cane fields and they were ready 2months earlier than everyone elses in the area this year and they used less water due to leaving the leftovers atop the field keeping the ground moist year round. Burning depletes nutrients over time and does nothing good. Its a myth used for lazy people as an excuse. People need to realize change isn't difficult and if it is get another job!

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

And:

Ok, you want to give all farmers a pass on burning because some of them are poor and farm difficult land.

How about burning of forests and piles of trash?  Are you willing to ban that?

33 minutes ago, bsdthai said:

Im farming! 50rai. Bananas, figs, pappaya, guava, olives, pumpkins, watermelons and mangoes. Dont need to burn anything at all. Its laziness. Pure and simple. I rotor and plow fields by hand with a tiller that cost the same as paying someone else to plow the fields once per year. Leftovers are left to naturally breakdown and used as mulch and go back to the soil. I have a mulcher cheap chinese. It died within minutes of operation but actually never needed it.

Theres no excuse at all for burning. Infact our neighbours stopped burning there sugar cane fields and they were ready 2months earlier than everyone elses in the area this year and they used less water due to leaving the leftovers atop the field keeping the ground moist year round. Burning depletes nutrients over time and does nothing good. Its a myth used for lazy people as an excuse. People need to realize change isn't difficult and if it is get another job!

But it's a tradition, like military coups and rich people being above the law.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, stuartd1 said:

Well I never - first day of the burning ban and first day I haven't been able to see Doi Suthep from my balcony near CM Gate!!!!!!!!!!

I can vaguely make out the outline of Doi Suthep from Nimmanhamin.  That makes this an average or better than average day in March, we will see much worse.

On 2/8/2018 at 1:21 PM, bsdthai said:

Right-o! People like you need to educate the "unwashed masses" as to the value of composting.

It's also the answer to a lot of the garbage strewn in the streets.

But these folk are stubborn. It will take some doing.

Archived