51 Day Burning Ban From March 1st Announced to Combat Growing Smoke Problem

snoop1130

On 2/8/2018 at 9:42 AM, simoh1490 said:

if Thailand cracked the burning problem and farmers stopped burning, what are we going to do when we find out that has hardly changed the air quality since much of the pollution is blown in across the border?

Drove from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong and crossed the Friendship Bridge into Laos. On the Thai side - smog shrouding burning fields and hills. In Laos - Blue skies and sunshine.

45 minutes ago, Saraphee said:

Drove from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong and crossed the Friendship Bridge into Laos. On the Thai side - smog shrouding burning fields and hills. In Laos - Blue skies and sunshine.

You only have to look at the fire maps and the wind maps to see that isn't the norm.

Maybe so - but it was a real time experience - and that does tend to colour one's perceptions.

This is not intended to be a knocking question, I'm just seeking knowledge - who produces those fire and wind maps and where will I find them?

8 minutes ago, Saraphee said:

Maybe so - but it was a real time experience - and that does tend to colour one's perceptions.

This is not intended to be a knocking question, I'm just seeking knowledge - who produces those fire and wind maps and where will I find them?

NASA produces the firms fire maps, both it and the windfinder map can be found below, you need to use the two in conjunction:

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/

https://www.windfinder.com/#6/20.3961/101.5796/2018-02-20T00:00Z

I just had a look at the firemaps for the first time this season and anyone who looks at them can't help but notice the extent of burning in Myanmar, China , and Cambodia, they are both really on fire.

CityNews – This year’s no-burning period has been set at 51 days between March 1st and April 20th this year to combat the amount of smog created by agricultural burning that occurs this time every year.

Let me fix that atrocious sentence for you, just by rearranging words:

"In order to combat smog from agricultural burning, this year's no-burning period has been set at 51 days, from March 1st to April 20th."

1 hour ago, Puwa said:

CityNews – This year’s no-burning period has been set at 51 days between March 1st and April 20th this year to combat the amount of smog created by agricultural burning that occurs this time every year.

Let me fix that atrocious sentence for you, just by rearranging words:

"In order to combat smog from agricultural burning, this year's no-burning period has been set at 51 days, from March 1st to April 20th."

You're hired, when can you start? - Editor :smile:

We just came back from a three day ride around the north... northern Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. It was interesting to note acre after acre of burned ground in Chiang Mai, with columns of smoke to be seen all around, yet not so much in Chiang Rai! In fact, by the time we got to Mae Salong, we were once again able to see mountains in the distance, something we couldn't do further south. In fact, we couldn't even see Doi Chiang Dao from Rt.107 when we passed, but had no difficulties enjoying mountain views around Doi Ang Khan or Doi Mae Salong.  Don't get me wrong... there WAS air pollution up north too. Made for spectacular sunrise photos. But nothing compared with what we rode through getting there. 

Mae-Salong-A.jpg

On 2/8/2018 at 8:29 AM, simoh1490 said:

Yes, and all the rural farmers should be made to buy mulching equipment and tractors to plough under their farmland, that land that is too steep to plough can be done by helicopter ploughs. And smoke that's blown in from across the border, we could build a Trump style wall perhaps, just to keep it out!

the only farming technology they know is using their hands and legs OR get their daughter to snag a rich farang.

19 hours ago, peperobi said:

For what province is that regulation??? Here in Nakhon Sawan, they burning down many fields and even the municipality take part of that event!

It is a running joke, they said the same thing last year.  

Not sure why they even bother?

Ridiculous. 

Archived