South African man driving pickup hits and kills schoolboy in Chiang Rai

snoop1130

South African man driving pickup hits and kills schoolboy in Chiang Rai

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTA1MS81MjU1NTEwLzAuanBn.jpg

An eight year old schoolboy died after being hit by a pickup truck driven by a South African man in Chiang Rai province on Tuesday.

The boy, who lives in a nearby children's home was crossing the road to buy sweets when he was hit by the pick up being driven by Mr Mendel Fernando, 52, Sanook News reported.

Police arrived at the scene of the accident to find the boy already dead and a silver Isuzu pickup truck parked nearby.

The boy was a hill tribe boy who stayed in Chiang Rai's Mueang district with a temple abbot so he could attend school, while his mother worked. The boy's father is already deceased, Sanook reported.

The boy reportedly stepped out into the road and did not see the oncoming vehicle.

Abbot instructed management at the children’s home to arrange a funeral for the boy and provide support to his mother.

Source: https://news.sanook.com/5255510/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-2-7

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Tragic...  it appears that the South African chap is not at fault... 

That said, those bull-bars on the front of the vehicle would have made the impact much more damaging.

Too true, bull bars show no mercy and should have been banned years ago.

The locally-made 'bull bars' like the ones pictured are pretty rubbish, mostly plastic and low-strength, chromed alloy tubing and akin to a nudge bar. Hardly likely to cause more damage in any low-speed impact and as much use as a chocolate fireguard in a high-speed shunt.

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The locally-made 'bull bars' like the ones pictured are pretty rubbish, mostly plastic and low-strength, chromed alloy tubing and akin to a nudge bar. Hardly likely to cause more damage in any low-speed impact and as much use as a chocolate fireguard in a high-speed shunt.

I think the issue with these bull bars, is that they prevent the car design from doing it's job.

The front of cars are designed to cause the least injury possible to pedestrians if hit. I believe they are designed with an adult in mind though.

A reminder,if needed,of the essential need  for farangs of a dashcam. While sympathetic to the boy I’ve no doubt the opportunities for gouging the farang will be being exploited despite his innocence. My dual facing camera I brought from uk keeps a constant record in real-time of my speed gps position and g forces . I’m not complacent though and would be interested for any knowledge or experience of those who have had this type of irrefutable evidence and how it plays with the authorities vs lying witnesses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 7:04 AM, cornishcarlos said:

I think the issue with these bull bars, is that they prevent the car design from doing it's job.

The front of cars are designed to cause the least injury possible to pedestrians if hit. I believe they are designed with an adult in mind though.

Bullbars are designed with kangaroos in mind....useful in the Australian outback - not so much here. I just see them causing more injury to pedestrians (which equals higher payouts to victims if the driver is at fault). 

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

It protects the front and reduces damage.

Ok pal, I'm not going to debate what a bullbar does.

My original point was that they stop the design of the car front end, doing what it is meant to do. Which is minimize injury to any pedestrian that gets hit.

I'm out of this thread..

On 08/02/2018 at 6:04 AM, cornishcarlos said:

The bullbar stops the airbags from operating in an accident. Happened to me and i was relieved but others might not be as happy. Caused 10k  AUD too the front end, so wasnt minor impact and the bull bar on the pathfinder wasnt  a nudge bar. 

Archived