Brit in tears after early morning collision kills motorcycle taxi rider, injures passenger in Pattaya

snoop1130

Not a lot of this makes sense. It is fairly well lit by Thai street standards , straight road , why on the wrong side of the road as it’s quiet looking so could have crossed no problem, who’s is the bike in the photo as surely not the taxi guys as it’s sitting with the light on and if that’s blood running down the road then how is there loads of blood near the bike but zero around the taxi guy unless it’s from the passengers head wound . 

Roads here are the reason I won’t let my wife use a scooter anymore , car or nothing !

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if the thai was drunk? Or both of them. I do not like driving at night. Many time I have seen a motorcycle with out lights or light very dim coming at me in the dark. Two vehicals coming at each other closes the distance very fast. Nobody wins in this case. But I agree the poor dead thai driver was 100 % in the wrong. Even if this is thailand there has to be a law for driving on the wrong side of the road.  The driver of the truck was doing no wrong. 

3 hours ago, smedly said:

2am ...no traffic, very wide road, why would anyone be on the wrong side of the road

For the same reasons that "they" can be found on the wrong side of the road at any time of day, anywhere in the kingdom, driving any sort of vehicle:

Because of an habitual, careless disregard for the dangers and consequences of doing such a thing and a justified belief that no state agency will bother to take an interest in their behaviour until an accident (which they are incapable of contemplating) occurs.

Thailand road "etiquette" 1.1, 1.2.

IF----Brit was drunk, IF---the bike was on the wrong side ??   2 offences here,   If therefore the bike was on the wrong side and collided NO accident--INCIDENT.   He suffered the consequences .  If the Brit driver was drunk-should be charged for this offence----he was not at fault for the death.

12 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

Even if bike driving the wrong way up the hill(perfectly normal in thailand) he couldn't have been travelling that quickly, the truck driver might not be entirely blameless, that looks like a straight piece of road in the picture and early hours so low traffic,  ...the truck may have been speeding and not paying attention to what was in front.

Rider with dark clothing and no lights perhaps?

Very  sad,  but I would be hesitant to immediately accord any blame to  the farang. Motorcycle injuries even at  low speed can have serious consequences even if the truck  driver had stoped in time.

In Isan some years ago  I  was waiting  at  a village crossroad with no priority markings, checking that  the road was clear for me to  advance when a motorcycle with  two very  young  girls (11 and 12) came whizzing  round the corner on  the wrong  side of the road. They  crashed head on  into the front of my pickup and they required ambulant  hospital attention requiring stiches to arms, knees, and heads.  They were fortunate I wasn't  moving  at the time.

They were admonished by the police at the interview. I had to fork out for a new bumper, radiator grille, and bonnet, for my car which was almost  new.

Since they  came on the market,  I  have dashcams in all my  cars. They are not expensive. It  dosen't  help  much though if the guilty party is not insured (most motorcycles are not) but  it can certainly clear up questions of blame.

It is Thailand. Defensive drIving is how we need to look at it and certainly how I get around. Unless it is total idiocy by the taxi motorcycle driver, it more and likely is a shared fault but both. Except one paid already by death. Maybe the white boy will plead bad brakes? Could have been a cell phone thing in his part

13 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Let hope the guy wasn't drinking at 2.30am because no matter if the driver was driving through wrong way if he was drinking it's monkey house.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

yes true if the brit was drinking he will get the book thrown at him on top of that he will have to pay compensation and hospital bills which he should 

Comes back to the keystone cops.  They never enforce the law. Look i feel for the British guy because i nearly had a head on with some idiot coming up the wrong way. They know they can get away with it that is why they do it and in this case the guy died. The English should cry because of the bloody weak cops they have here. Yesterday i saw the keystone cop in action He was having such a great time manually changing traffic lights while driving past him were people speeding, 4 on a bike , going through the red lights right in front of him, Wearing no helmets But he was having his fun changing those lights.  More important.

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It is Thailand. Defensive drIving is how we need to look at it and certainly how I get around. Unless it is total idiocy by the taxi motorcycle driver, it more and likely is a shared fault but both. Except one paid already by death. Maybe the white boy will plead bad brakes? Could have been a cell phone thing in his part

He could have sneezed , OH please  (cell phone) you have been reading too many news articles,  WHY PUT THIS. ??

If the motorcycle driver intended to eventually go the correct way and do a u-turn surely he could have done it on that straight and very wide and well lit stretch of road,especially at that time of morning.

Don't tell me he was headed for a u-turn a little way up the road.Thinking a bit more about it perhaps the passenger told him to do a left turn somewhere just after the accident spot.Whichever way you look at it he was still on the wrong side of the road and having done it probably hundreds of times, it eventually caught up with hih.My sympathy to his family however may he RIP,and hope the passenger fully recovers

I travel to and from work during the week in Bangkok on a motorbike taxi. The return journey on a night consists of every driver mounting the pavement for 100 yards before 25 yards against the flow of traffic down Sukhumvit. Thais just don't seem to get the fact that we would rather get there in one peice alive than not at all. They MUST overtake/undertake because frankly they have no road manners and less than 5% have had any formal driving training. How many times do you see someone sauntering down the outside lane on the motorway doning 60km/h on the phone. The RTP need to get their finger out and start punishng these people. RIP the driver but more importantly the passenger who trusted you. The British lad will probably never get over it especially if he'd had a drink.

The only way to drive in Thailand (farang or local) is to pretend you are invisible and no matter what you encounter simply assume you cannot be seen and the other driver will drive as if you are not there.  Till the crash that is.

2 hours ago, Araiwah said:

Really? So even if it's normal in Thailand why can't he have been going that quickly? Is there some sort of force field that slows down the errant motorcyclists who break the law every day by riding against the flow?

"Is there some sort of force field that slows down the errant motorcyclists" .......DUH!! - Gravity!

32 minutes ago, GBW said:

One dead, one with severe head trauma,,,,,   Helmets????????????????

Helmets?!!!  It was at night!!  What's the point of wearing a helmet at night wen the police can't see you?!!

Just another Thai lemming, IMHO.  Shame about the passenger but the stupid motorcycle taxi driver didn't care, why should we?

Driving here is high risk .......... Thai's on motorbikes are the real hazard here as they don't seem to see anyone. It's as if they are "spaced out" or "tripping" on something. How can anyone ride a bike & not pay close attention to traffic as all bike riders are so vulnerable? They will turn directly in front of you as if you are not there .......... it scares the shit out of me & now I have a car cam videoing everything 24/7 when I'm driving. If you have the answer to this I'd really like to know ..... I'm really puzzled by this crazy mindset in in Thailand. Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, ginjag said:

He could have sneezed , OH please  (cell phone) you have been reading too many news articles,  WHY PUT THIS. ??

Oh please to your please. Because it is all too common in the driving arena now and I am not an old fart who just sits at home jockeying the computer for this forum never doing anything out in the real Thai world. Semi old in near mid 50's. Reading articles? FYI. I take my daughter to school and pick her up everyday in-between other things on motorcycles and in my cars. I am more than aware from seeing this crap everyday whether it be Thai, White folk, Asian folk, or any other type of folk. OK, let me say this: maybe it was the window film being too dark and he was not able to see clearly. 

13 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

Even if bike driving the wrong way up the hill(perfectly normal in thailand) he couldn't have been travelling that quickly, the truck driver might not be entirely blameless, that looks like a straight piece of road in the picture and early hours so low traffic,  ...the truck may have been speeding and not paying attention to what was in front.

Wrong way is wrong way. 

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

Oh please to your please. Because it is all too common in the driving arena now and I am not an old fart who just sits at home jockeying the computer for this forum never doing anything out in the real Thai world. Semi old in near mid 50's. Reading articles? FYI. I take my daughter to school and pick her up everyday in-between other things on motorcycles and in my cars. I am more than aware from seeing this crap everyday whether it be Thai, White folk, Asian folk, or any other type of folk. OK, let me say this: maybe it was the window film being too dark and he was not able to see clearly. 

Agreed ............ I think there should be a total ban on dark windows. At night they are a real hazard for the driver & daytime they are a hazard to others & police at checkpoints. 

how can one teach thais to drive properly and within the law here absolutely beats me.....I can not think of any method.

three questions how do they pass a motorbike driving test (if there is one)?

Next question WHO is actually in charge of the testing ??

And finally, the person who is the examiner,  who determines that he should be an examiner?

22 minutes ago, Cranky said:

The only way to drive in Thailand (farang or local) is to pretend you are invisible and no matter what you encounter simply assume you cannot be seen and the other driver will drive as if you are not there.  Till the crash that is.

some are in such a rush as was the case of a guy on a motorbike on here that was trying to overtake on the inside and he got flung over the top of a flyover and died on video also it was on here

14 hours ago, tonray said:

Let's hope there are no charges. This is really the government's fault as they have looked the other way as these guys do this every day to beat traffic flow. Need some real enforcement and then maybe things will get better.

At 2.30 AM I doubt it was to beat traffic flow, maybe Yaba or alcohol or simply sleepiness.

Archived