Ceramic glue

Max66

Even use some of that metallic 2 part putty....only on the inside of course.  It would look a bit of a bodge job otherwise. It's got good strength to it too.

Many uses that stuff.  Can also repair metal pipes that spring leaks.

I suppose it depends on how bad the crack (s) are.  Do you just want to fill in the crack or does the lid need 'glueing' back together?

You might be hard pressed to get it to stay together but I'd use that 2 part epoxy/metallic resin.  Home Pro and the like stock it.

It's a bit like putty. 2 tubes and you mix the same amount of each together.  However you need to have some pressure between the joint when it's curing.

Perhaps start with fixing 2 pieces first.  Apply the putty/resin/glue and then wrap/tie those 2 bits with say a strong string so that it pulls the pieces together in a strong bind.

Some of the product cures very quickly...like 10 minutes.

Then repeat on the final piece.  Try not to have too much excess in the join as  it's very hard stuff to remove once it's set/cured.

Gd luck

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the glue in the join isn't strong enough, it'll just "hinge" along the putty line. I'd add some short lengths of steel square across the join.

Agreed.....put the glue along the broken edges bind it tight till its set and then add the metal putty to the underside.  It's strong stuff and sets like metal.

You could add square steel but I'd be worried about rust.  Flat aluminum strips maybe better and enclose them within the metal putty onto the underside.

But I think that's a bit of over kill really.

Just now, CMKiwi said:

Agreed.....put the glue along the broken edges bind it tight till its set and then add the metal putty to the underside.  It's strong stuff and sets like metal.

You could add square steel but I'd be worried about rust.  Flat aluminum strips maybe better and enclose them within the metal putty onto the underside.

But I think that's a bit of over kill really.

Yes, aluminium better, but have to go across the join, not along it. About 6 inches either side. Flat is pointless as too flexible. Has to be rigid to work.

A bit of overkill at the start is preferable to having to do it over again later.

Those ceramic tops are quite heavy, and need a bit extra support.

Any local home supply place has aluminium mouldings and should cut to order.

There are a lot of metal merchants in just about every area of Chiang Mai.  Flat aluminium of various thickness too.

Ive bought quite a bit in the past for bike projects. And the stuff I got would be idea for a job like this...but I believe the metal putty and glue would suffice.  

The lid to the Cistern isn't generally moved alot unless you have problems with the internal workings.

Once it's all glued and putty'd back together the Cistern will support it.

I've worked on a lot of these in the missus guesthouse.  Yes they are quite weighty. And you do need to take care that you don't drop them.

Hopefully the OP can get it back together and it survives until the missus decides to buy a new one due to it looking like a bodge job?

17 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

There are a lot of metal merchants in just about every area of Chiang Mai.  Flat aluminium of various thickness too.

Ive bought quite a bit in the past for bike projects. And the stuff I got would be idea for a job like this...but I believe the metal putty and glue would suffice.  

The lid to the Cistern isn't generally moved alot unless you have problems with the internal workings.

Once it's all glued and putty'd back together the Cistern will support it.

I've worked on a lot of these in the missus guesthouse.  Yes they are quite weighty. And you do need to take care that you don't drop them.

Hopefully the OP can get it back together and it survives until the missus decides to buy a new one due to it looking like a bodge job?

So, someone that doesn't know to be careful takes the lid off the cistern, the glue fails and part of the cistern falls on a foot and breaks it- not good.

Is it so difficult to add a few small lengths of reinforcing that would prevent future injury that they shouldn't be used? 

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So, someone that doesn't know to be careful takes the lid off the cistern, the glue fails and part of the cistern falls on a foot and breaks it- not good.

Is it so difficult to add a few small lengths of reinforcing that would prevent future injury that they shouldn't be used? 

Obviously you haven't done this yourself and no matter what I say you are going to argue your point.

If a person drops the ceramic lid/top twice  (The 1st time it broke) and said person lifts the lid and drops it again (be it due to clumsiness or poor repair job) then said person deserves all the anguish they can get.

After repairing the lid the first time with glue an metal putty one would think to take extra care the next time when lifting said lid.

By your thinking....maybe the metal/aluminium strips won't be enough either.

So what should one do to counter that?  Encase the whole lid in titanium and plaster warning stickers telling the wanna be repair person (Home handyman) that lifting said lid may result in days of anguish and consternation....due to a slight accident (ie dropping and breaking said lid)

Somewhere you have to draw a line in the sand.  Either your competent in what you do or you leave well alone and let a someone who knows what they are doing to fix such things.

To me it's not a difficult fix...

But then I grew up on a farm and learnt to repair things. I wasn't born into a disposable society as is the norm these days.

Ok.....rant over. 

No offence meant.

On 2/9/2018 at 4:34 PM, sfokevin said:

In Wararot Market there are gobs of yarn shops.. Just show them the photo below and they will set you up fine... :coffee1:

446D1516-2866-49C1-9531-5FDD6360798F.jpeg

Again - My solution would safely prevent MaBaan from attempting to lift the lid!...:coffee1:

21 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Obviously you haven't done this yourself and no matter what I say you are going to argue your point.

If a person drops the ceramic lid/top twice  (The 1st time it broke) and said person lifts the lid and drops it again (be it due to clumsiness or poor repair job) then said person deserves all the anguish they can get.

After repairing the lid the first time with glue an metal putty one would think to take extra care the next time when lifting said lid.

By your thinking....maybe the metal/aluminium strips won't be enough either.

So what should one do to counter that?  Encase the whole lid in titanium and plaster warning stickers telling the wanna be repair person (Home handyman) that lifting said lid may result in days of anguish and consternation....due to a slight accident (ie dropping and breaking said lid)

Somewhere you have to draw a line in the sand.  Either your competent in what you do or you leave well alone and let a someone who knows what they are doing to fix such things.

To me it's not a difficult fix...

But then I grew up on a farm and learnt to repair things. I wasn't born into a disposable society as is the norm these days.

Ok.....rant over. 

No offence meant.

Perhaps you don't "comprehend" what someone that doesn't know to be careful means

So, v e r y  s l o w l y, if SOMEONE ELSE ( apart from the person that glued the lid together ) takes the lid off, and it falls apart THEY ( the ones that didn't know to be careful ) might get a broken foot.

I s  t h a t  c l e a r  e n o u g h?

BTW I "grew up" on a farm when we were still using telephone party lines and horses.

No offence meant.

Yes we had party telephone lines too.

It appears you are making stuff up to cover what you wrote. In general and most of the time...in a household it's one person (Normally the man of the house) that does maintenance.

I rarely find others that would bother to attempt jobs such as this. Perhaps the OP can clear this up once and for all.

But that aside, if the repair is done correctly then there would be very little chance of said lid falling on anyone's foot.

I still stand by my thinking that adding metal strips is overkill.

Now it's upto the OP to decide what he wants to do.

Your attempt to belittle failed....oh well you win some and....

Maybe we leave it at that? ?

Archived