If you live in Hua Hin you might be about to get a visit from the Tourist Police

webfact

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jools said:

Maybe if they would stop shredding the useless information forms they require us to fill out, they would have a better idea of who is here and for how long. I am still amazed that there is no computer database. Why do they even have computers?

facebook ?

Is it even legal? Its atleast pretty rude. My wife would tell them no sorry we are busy but if you give your home addresses well come around and see you later at your house and sort this thai stupidity out.

So irrational. How in hell are they getting the addresses if they dont know whos got a visa. Dont tell me they are going door to door. Snooping or bribing taxi bikes to point the farang houses out?. This seems so dum. So dum i wouldnt trust that they are who they say they are. I dont know why people want to overstay there visa anyway. Thailands not that good is it? Am i missing something?

They're welcome to pay me a visit any time they want, just not too early in the morning please.  I have everything in order and no problem with them checking it.  Actually, I think it's a fine idea, but it might also be a good idea to check financial records, to see if people with retirement extensions do actually have the required capital or income.  However, my guess would be that the worst offenders are those originally on tourist visas, or visa free entries, which they have overstayed.  

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If my memory is correct, it seems that HH Immigration and/or Tourist police seem to do this same kind of thing every couple years there. I'm sure there have been previous cycles of this reported here before for expats living in HH.

I've been in BKK for more than 10 years, and never heard peepers from any one them, happy to say. :ph34r:

But as for the broader point: they've got my annual extension of stay in their computers that I have to do in person at Immigration. They've got my 90 day reports in their computers.

So don't come hassling me at my home!!!

I think they'll be the ones to decide if they want to visit you or not.

I hope all is well for you.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have an idea. we will use a thing called a

c o m p u t e r. can you say computer?

visa expired on a certain date? automatically check immigration exit records for passport number. no exit? generate list. then go to house.

look for bad guys.

computer 101 circa 1978.

Do you have any idea how many people do not live at the address given?I was told by someone from the tourist police there are quite a few people who give the wrong address.

3 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Apparently Immigration can't keep tabs on persons even with all the rigmarole everyone goes thru ! Big difference between 8,000 and 100,000 seems a bit like the Governments fiddly figures as usual

Govt can't count or only make up statistics to suite the Govt.. A good example ,"Road deaths to be counted at the scene of the accident only". Lets  get real here in any country, bar Thailand as far as I am aware, it would be those that died on the way or in a hospital as a result of the accident with no time limit until their demise. Even after that massaging of stats Thailand still no, 1. Sad

2 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

No, random checks of foreigners on extensions of stay are highly offensive.  :post-4641-1156693976:

They need to check on foreigners who enter on visa-exempt and tourist visas, as it is much more likely that these will be the overstayers.  Immigration police are lazy and it is much harder to track down foreigners who entered on short-stay visas, and then moved from their declared residence, and never registered a new address.

They probably went to immigration to get their 3 page list of names. "We've been told we must check on foreigners". "OK here's a list of foreigners who have renewed their extension of stay in the last 3 months. They should be easy to find because we have their addresses."   "Duuuhhh! Thank you so much."

2 hours ago, Jools said:

Maybe if they would stop shredding the useless information forms they require us to fill out, they would have a better idea of who is here and for how long. I am still amazed that there is no computer database. Why do they even have computers?

That's a valid point, but if their internet/wi-fi are anything like here in Sattahip that fail pretty frequently especially after rain sometime nothing all day while they do another bodge up job, then next rainfall same again, at that rate all the computerised info they have would be lost if they were in the process of downloading, so from our point of view all the reams of paperwork are probably worth it, until they get a more reliable system running!

Apparently Immigration can't keep tabs on persons even with all the rigmarole everyone goes thru ! Big difference between 8,000 and 100,000 seems a bit like the Governments fiddly figures as usual

Depends whether the figures include people from neighbouring countries who come across to work in fields and factories, or whether it is only people from countries other that Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia.   

True I would have thought with all the paper work maps ect they would know who they were and where they live

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have an idea. we will use a thing called a

c o m p u t e r. can you say computer?

visa expired on a certain date? automatically check immigration exit records for passport number. no exit? generate list. then go to house.

look for bad guys.

computer 101 circa 1978.

how do you think they got the 3 pages of names mentioned above? hmmm i wonder

6 minutes ago, WHYWHY said:

Just something else to take there mind off bigger issues 

Like road toll 

Shootings 

Stabbings 

Murders 

Darts 

Card Games 

Pool 

Too many other problems

Jimi Hendrix  said,     "You know there are things to worry about"?

58 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

They still So fascinated with foreigners.people report 2-5 times a month at immigration office 

Still they need again come to our home..Probably they need to inspect the bedroom again also.Gosh.

Maybe, just maybe you are reading this wrong, maybe it is the overstayers on tourist visas and tourist exempt visas that do not have to report to immigration that they are looking for or the ones that have not renewed there non-imm O visa or extension

3 hours ago, Jools said:

To play Candy Crush on, what else would they have computers for?

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

My wife loves the concept in Australia where she doesn't have to report every 90 days and loves the freedom to work.  She was always moody in Thailand when it come to reporting time.  

Just out of interest what Australian visa is your wife on and how long did it take to get it?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Many of the foreigners who have overstayed their visas are thought to be hiding out in Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin, Koh Samui island and Bangkok, official have said.

Pattaya is next then - can't wait.

29 minutes ago, DerekMarshall said:

Tourist police can visit all they like! They have no authority to ask for or demand to see passports. Only Immigration officials can!

I am not so sure about that,when they come here and ask for my passport i will give it to them.I am not going to tell them they have no authority,why create problems?I have nothing to hide.No need to play the fearless warrior.

Archived