If you live in Hua Hin you might be about to get a visit from the Tourist Police

webfact

It wasnt even this bad in Cuba under Castro. Im all for kicking out illegals but this is ridiculous, 90 day reports, reports on re entering, reports  if staying at a friend's and now home visits. Why not just electronic tag us. Seriously and with the dart board fiasco i am genuinely contemplating takibg myself and kids off somewhere else. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mikosan said:

They're welcome to pay me a visit any time they want, just not too early in the morning please.  I have everything in order and no problem with them checking it.  Actually, I think it's a fine idea, but it might also be a good idea to check financial records, to see if people with retirement extensions do actually have the required capital or income.  However, my guess would be that the worst offenders are those originally on tourist visas, or visa free entries, which they have overstayed.  

And just how would they achieve financial checks?

With the exception of the two or three months prior to asking for the extension, there is no requirement to have 400,000 or 800,000 baht available in your account. You would as a minimum make a friendly quick visit into something a lot more

33 minutes ago, DerekMarshall said:

Tourist police can visit all they like! They have no authority to ask for or demand to see passports. Only Immigration officials can!

Really, they cant ask for identification, which bar did you hear that in. 

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

My wife loves the concept in Australia where she doesn't have to report every 90 days and loves the freedom to work.  She was always moody in Thailand when it come to reporting time.  

You can't equate the two. They request virtually no personal information from retirement visa applicants in Thailand. No police clearance, no income details - nothing. To get a permanent visa to live in Australia they virtually need to know what you eat for breakfast.

Personally I wouldn't sweat an occasional visit from tourist police to check if I'm legal. It hasn't happened yet in 12 years. That surprises me. I think period checks are entirely reasonable considering how easy it is to overstay.

BTW, why would you wife get moody when you need to report? Insignificant things like that bother her?

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have an idea. we will use a thing called a

c o m p u t e r. can you say computer?

visa expired on a certain date? automatically check immigration exit records for passport number. no exit? generate list. then go to house.

look for bad guys.

computer 101 circa 1978.

The immigraton computer does not register those who have sneaked into the country or those with fake passports, fake extensions and/or fake visas - but by all means it's a good start....:coffee1:

4 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Apparently Immigration can't keep tabs on persons even with all the rigmarole everyone goes thru ! Big difference between 8,000 and 100,000 seems a bit like the Governments fiddly figures as usual

At least TAT keeps up to date with the Tourists flooding Amazing Thailand .......

Just now, ScotBkk said:

At least TAT keeps up to date with the Tourists flooding Amazing Thailand .......

That could be part of the problem, figures that TAT produce don't match with the actual numbers immigration are seeing at the transit points................:smile:

7 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

That could be part of the problem, figures that TAT produce don't match with the actual numbers immigration are seeing at the transit points................:smile:

Hence, the 100,000 fabrication ..................:post-4641-1156694572:

3 hours ago, timbothaivisa said:

100k? add a zero and x4 for a rough number of illegals in the UK these days - they don't even check your passport on the way out

Your departure is recorded by your carrier and the details passed onto the UKBA.

Surely with the mountains of TM6s.. TM30 address reporting and immigrations database.. Now its Thailand 4.0 they can simply do a database search and see whose permission to stay or extension has passed.. 

I know.. stop laughing at the back.. but it is trivial.. 

37 minutes ago, baansgr said:

It wasnt even this bad in Cuba under Castro. Im all for kicking out illegals but this is ridiculous, 90 day reports, reports on re entering, reports  if staying at a friend's and now home visits. Why not just electronic tag us. Seriously and with the dart board fiasco i am genuinely contemplating takibg myself and kids off somewhere else. 

Me too. They are Muppets and don't realise they are shooting themselves in the foot. In the end one gets bored of this mindless Xenophobia. If we are such a threat to them (which we clearly must be) why not get it over with and just deport all foreigners?

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have an idea. we will use a thing called a

c o m p u t e r. can you say computer?

visa expired on a certain date? automatically check immigration exit records for passport number. no exit? generate list. then go to house.

look for bad guys.

computer 101 circa 1978.

excellent thought but it appears that they prefer their stacks of paper work...but yes it would be so much more efficient

43 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Maybe "you're on the list"?

Knock   Knock

Of course I would be on the list, just as every other Pattaya ex-pat would be.

I'm not the slightest bit concerned about a visit either. I don't see it as intrusive. It would be the first visit in 12 years.

9 minutes ago, Xaos said:

Doubt it allows to come in to ppl houses without court warrants.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Dont worry, no need to prepare cockies and coffee...:smile: - it might be quickly solved at the front gate as long as you dont hide under the bed....:whistling:

1 minute ago, ttrd said:

Dont worry, no need to prepare cockies and coffee - it might be quickly solved at the front gate as long as you dont hide under the bed....:smile:

Why would you give your cockies coffee? I thought it would be better to give the Tourist police cookies and coffee

49 minutes ago, WHYWHY said:

Its becoming like a dictatorship 

Fortunately, we still have the option to leave. Have you reached your breaking point yet? If they come around to check my papers every month, that might be mine.

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

Of course I would be on the list, just as every other Pattaya ex-pat would be.

I'm not the slightest bit concerned about a visit either. I don't see it as intrusive. It would be the first visit in 12 years.

They might have made a visit during those years while you have been at the Fitness center or the International church...:whistling:

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Why would you give your cockies coffee? I thought it would be better to give the Tourist police cookies and coffee

It can be perceived as bribery....:whistling: 

Archived