Never thought it would come to this

swissie

My old and new Passport show a total of 48 Thailand entries since 1996 (including a continuous 4 1/2 year stay).
Wanted to stay the winter in Pattaya, as I have many times before.

After 1 month, I decided that 1 month of today's Pattaya is enough. To spend the rest of the winter on the Canary Islands.

- I was well aware of the fact that Thailand (especially Pattaya) is changing fast. Certain "changes" I can tolerate and accept.
But not if I get the impression, that I have to buy a Thai-smile and a little "Wai". Be it at the 7/11, the Bank, the Hotel or at the neighborhood Bar. Smiles only forthcoming, when some financial gain is in the offing. (I am not talking about a 10 Bht tip at the Bar, well understood).
Although the Thai's make their living with tourists in Pattaya, they seem to be fed-up with Farangs/Tourists. On the other hand, the Farangs of today have learned over the years, that the Thai-"friendliness" is somewhat less than genuine (it never was).

And last but not least: Over the last 10 years, "Bar-Hostesses" have gained 50% in body-weight, reduced the quality of service by 50% and have increased prices by 100%.
And, as in my case, displaying some good Thai-Language skills is not helping = "Him know too much". Ergo: Can not be overcharged.

All of the above makes for somewhat "subdued" interactions between Farangs and Thais these days, unless a "first-timer" comes along, throwing money around left and right.
- So I took the advice, posted here many a times: "If you don't like it, get out!". Well, I did just that!

Never thaught it would come to this.

Next year, I will probably give Hua-Hin a try. Hoping that the "Pattayafication" has not yet reached the shores of Hua-Hin in it's full brunt. I shall see.
Cheers.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, swissie said:

Hoping that the "Pattayafication" has not yet reached the shores of Hua-Hin in it's full brunt

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high but at least the damage is contained to a few Sois in HH. Pattaya has not been very "Thai-ish" for a decade now. The place is the one place I never want to return to in Thailand, overrun by corruption, drugs and Farang gangs in cahoots with local authorities. Should not judge Thailand by Pattaya, or any of the seaside resort towns for that matter...they attract exactly the type of element that feeds off itself to make it a cesspool.

My old and new Passport show a total of 48 Thailand entries since 1996 (including a continuous 4 1/2 year stay).
Wanted to stay the winter in Pattaya, as I have many times before.

After 1 month, I decided that 1 month of today's Pattaya is enough. To spend the rest of the winter on the Canary Islands.

- I was well aware of the fact that Thailand (especially Pattaya) is changing fast. Certain "changes" I can tolerate and accept.
But not if I get the impression, that I have to buy a Thai-smile and a little "Wai". Be it at the 7/11, the Bank, the Hotel or at the neighborhood Bar. Smiles only forthcoming, when some financial gain is in the offing. (I am not talking about a 10 Bht tip at the Bar, well understood).
Although the Thai's make their living with tourists in Pattaya, they seem to be fed-up with Farangs/Tourists. On the other hand, the Farangs of today have learned over the years, that the Thai-"friendliness" is somewhat less than genuine (it never was).

And last but not least: Over the last 10 years, "Bar-Hostesses" have gained 50% in body-weight, reduced the quality of service by 50% and have increased prices by 100%.
And, as in my case, displaying some good Thai-Language skills is not helping = "Him know too much". Ergo: Can not be overcharged.

All of the above makes for somewhat "subdued" interactions between Farangs and Thais these days, unless a "first-timer" comes along, throwing money around left and right.
- So I took the advice, posted here many a times: "If you don't like it, get out!". Well, I did just that!

Never thaught it would come to this.

Next year, I will probably give Hua-Hin a try. Hoping that the "Pattayafication" has not yet reached the shores of Hua-Hin in it's full brunt. I shall see.
Cheers.

You should try and do some sports or any leisure activity rather than just go to the bars and moan about it... And not even local bars at that!

Everyone I know that lives here loves it. Every day they are either playing golf, football, tennis, badminton, swimming, running, cycling... Some French dude even has a boules group! In Pattaya! Most locals don't often go to the beaches or walking street... Unless it's the beaches towards sattahip and the navy base. I've lived here 3 years and been to walking street about 5x.

Bottle of beer is 55 baht in some places... Gone up 10 baht from the low season. Food can be cheap or expensive depending where you go. Thais standard of living has improved over the last 20 years, so they don't need to bow to foreigners who think they are the dogs bxxxxx.

Shame the advice before wasn't "if you don't like it, get out and don't comment about it!". Not that you would have taken the advice anyway. Next time your in Pattaya give me a shout, I'll show you around, no walking street though.

4 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

You should try and do some sports or any leisure activity rather than just go to the bars and moan about it... And not even local bars at that!

Everyone I know that lives here loves it. Every day they are either playing golf, football, tennis, badminton, swimming, running, cycling... Some French dude even has a boules group! In Pattaya! Most locals don't often go to the beaches or walking street... Unless it's the beaches towards sattahip and the navy base. I've lived here 3 years and been to walking street about 5x.

Bottle of beer is 55 baht in some places... Gone up 10 baht from the low season. Food can be cheap or expensive depending where you go. Thais standard of living has improved over the last 20 years, so they don't need to bow to foreigners who think they are the dogs bxxxxx.

Shame the advice before wasn't "if you don't like it, get out and don't comment about it!". Not that you would have taken the advice anyway. Next time your in Pattaya give me a shout, I'll show you around, no walking street though.

It's not about leisure activities or the price of beer. It's about the detoriating interaction of Thai's and Farangs.

The Polo Players living in their gated communities are ill equipped to comment on the "state of affairs" concerning Pattaya. I realise, that a membership in Pattaya at the Country-Club (with Golf Course"), costs probably 90 % less than Pebble-Beach.

Cheers.

44 minutes ago, champers said:

If you can't last more than a month in Pattaya you won't last more than a week in Hua Hin.

Unless a beach destination is a must, give Chiang Mai a try. 

My handle gives me away. Was born and raised in a rather mountainous country. Prefer open skyes and open horizons.

Chiang Mai is not whre I would want to go. Not even for a short Holiday. To each his own, I guess.

Cheers.

I happen to bar-monger in several girly entertainment countries in my younger hay days,

non of those places got any better in the way of friendlier or cheaper and better looking

'hostesses' they went downhill, sign of the time, government regulations, morals have changed

and people become more lazy...

4 hours ago, swissie said:

Over the last 10 years, "Bar-Hostesses" have gained 50% in body-weight, reduced the quality of service by 50% and have increased prices by 100%.
And, as in my case, displaying some good Thai-Language skills is not helping = "Him know too much". Ergo: Can not be overcharged

I agree with your general assertion.  My first trip was in 2004.  Big difference since then, both in what I consider looks and size.  I have put on a few pounds also, but my standards have also gotten lower, but it seems clear the objective measure of the amount of pretties there has decreased.  Coincidence with the increase in Russians or other people that paid more and they left for the "greener pastures"?

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

I agree with your general assertion.  My first trip was in 2004.  Big difference since then, both in what I consider looks and size.  I have put on a few pounds also, but my standards have also gotten lower, but it seems clear the objective measure of the amount of pretties there has decreased.  Coincidence with the increase in Russians or other people that paid more and they left for the "greener pastures"?

I think the introduction of the "fast food" generation accounts for the added lbs on the girls.

But unless the OP is a ripped Adonis, I don't think he should be derogatory about chubby hookers :)

15 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I think the introduction of the "fast food" generation accounts for the added lbs on the girls.

But unless the OP is a ripped Adonis, I don't think he should be derogatory about chubby hookers :)

I never met any hookers in Thailand.  And I was not being derogatory.  They are heavier than in the past as am I. 

22 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I never met any hookers in Thailand.  And I was not being derogatory.  They are heavier than in the past as am I. 

I'm very happy for you...

But I think you will notice, if you read my comment again, that I said "the OP" shouldn't be derogatory. (original poster)

I'm sure you have met hookers in Thailand, you just didn't know they were hookers.

If bars and hookers are an important part of your lifestyle here, how can you possibly attack the decline of Thai/farang relationships overall, mostly on the basis of those two things - and if Pattaya and tourist destinations are your sole focus, why not consider the opposite, non-tourist denominated locations, you seem to have existed in a microcosom of the real Thailand, and arguably the seediest part at that!

Is Hua Hin going to be any different for you.....I doubt it, it sounds like it's your attitude that needs to change.

Your interaction with Thais, and with Pattaya, seems to be focused exclusively on the bars and bar girls.   Pity you don't widen your activities--you'll find Pattaya has a lot to offer away from the bar scene.  As an aside, reading your post it is no wonder that some Thais are getting fed up with farangs and tourists.  Me, too.

9 hours ago, tonray said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high but at least the damage is contained to a few Sois in HH. Pattaya has not been very "Thai-ish" for a decade now. The place is the one place I never want to return to in Thailand, overrun by corruption, drugs and Farang gangs in cahoots with local authorities. Should not judge Thailand by Pattaya, or any of the seaside resort towns for that matter...they attract exactly the type of element that feeds off itself to make it a cesspool.

I've lived in Pattaya and visited fairly regularly since I didn't, but I have no idea what you are on about. I have never seen "farang gangs" in cahoots with anyone, unless you are referring to the joke "wannabe cop volunteers" that think the only place tourists go in Pattaya is Walking Street.

9 hours ago, swissie said:

somewhat less than genuine (it never was).

Not so. When I first alighted on Thai soil the smile and the welcome was as "genuine" as any anywhere.

10 hours ago, swissie said:

Over the last 10 years, "Bar-Hostesses" have gained 50% in body-weight, reduced the quality of service by 50% and have increased prices by 100%.

No disagreement from me on that, but add the preoccupation with the phone, to the extent they don't even look at passing potential customers any more. No wonder the bars are so devoid of patrons now.

BTW, when they have to employ actually obese girls as gogo dancers it's just about "the end" for that scene. I pay to look at attractive bodies, not cringe as a fattie wobbles a bit in front of me.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Your interaction with Thais, and with Pattaya, seems to be focused exclusively on the bars and bar girls.   Pity you don't widen your activities--you'll find Pattaya has a lot to offer away from the bar scene.  As an aside, reading your post it is no wonder that some Thais are getting fed up with farangs and tourists.  Me, too.

I have to chuckle at those that think it's not possible to enjoy Pattaya night life AND the things on offer during the day.

Most of us can, like the saying goes, "walk and chew gum at the same time".

10 hours ago, tonray said:

Let's not hold back, man. We got another full-on Pattaya-bashing thread here! Here are a couple of lists. We'll need to add the farang gangs "in cahoots" now too.

10 hours ago, champers said:

If you can't last more than a month in Pattaya you won't last more than a week in Hua Hin.

Unless a beach destination is a must, give Chiang Mai a try. 

"I spent a week there one afternoon" comes to mind!

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

And I bet everyone still calls you hansum sexy man....maybe they also lowered their standards?:sleepy:

Many say that all the best looking girls are to be found online. They get to the same conclusion without having the bother of serving drinks, cleaning, playing pool and going over the repetitive spiel day after day. Also, perhaps most importantly, they don't have anyone taking a cut of their earnings.

Hence, the quality in bars has gradually fallen.

On 09/02/2018 at 12:52 AM, swissie said:

Tonray and Champers: Does that mean that the "Pattayafication" of Hua-Hin is already in full swing?

Last time I was in HH was in 2004, so I am not "up to date". Please elaborate.

Cheers.

It it will never happen.

I was there a few weeks ago and the quality is far higher than anywhere I have stayed in Thailand. There is no comparison with Pattaya...of course, it has it’s entertainment areas but I cannot imagine they will be wholly different to Pattaya..... the changing characteristics that you describe (plus being welded to smart phones) are likely to be the same. To turn the clock back you may have to visit Cambodia.

On 09/02/2018 at 4:32 AM, swissie said:

My handle gives me away. Was born and raised in a rather mountainous country. Prefer open skyes and open horizons.

Chiang Mai is not whre I would want to go. Not even for a short Holiday. To each his own, I guess.

Cheers.

Phuket/Samui would suit you. Much nicer beaches. HH is for old Euro families and Thais on weekend trips. HH is a boring place.

7 hours ago, InMyShadow said:
21 hours ago, edgarfriendly said:
is wrong with hua hin??

ive heard its got it all... without the stench & shakedown crews

It's God's waiting room. More boring than chiang mai and that's says it all

God’s waiting room it may be......... but it is better furnished than Chiang Mai.

I have never found a decent view talay in CM.

Archived