Dentists warn of "fashion orthodontics" as scary "Jaws" gnashers posted online

webfact

Dentists warn of "fashion orthodontics" as scary "Jaws" gnashers posted online

1a.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Top dentists have warned Thais about going to quacks who promise a quick fix for straightening teeth using oral retainers.

A scary picture of what looked like an advert for the 1970s movie classic "Jaws" was posted on the Facebook page of dentist Amarit Chaiyabutr who said that the case was referred to him from another dentist who was not sure how to remedy the situation.

The patient had had just seven months use of a faulty retainer, he said.

He said that the situation could be rectified but it would take a long time and involve a lot of expense - much more than the cost of the original retainer.

Thongchai Wachirarotphaisan head of a dentists' council warned the public about opting for fashion orthodontics.

Illegal practitioners without the proper licenses can face a fine of 100,000 baht or up to five years in jail, reported Manager, saying that the picture of the teeth had been widely shared on social media.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-09

Well it seems to be a fashion here to make a smile look like someone is eating bicycle spokes. During our annual dental check at school we were told that orthodontics are only effective as long as the patients jaw is in the growing process. Hence, it is highly ineffective for adults.

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

Well it seems to be a fashion here to make a smile look like someone is eating bicycle spokes. During our annual dental check at school we were told that orthodontics are only effective as long as the patients jaw is in the growing process. Hence, it is highly ineffective for adults.

I'm glad someone else has reacted adversely to this lunatic, ridiculous craze. So many young people here wear these horrible braces over their teeth, making them truly look like the character Jaws in the James Bond films. I've been saying this for years. But people will slavishly follow any 'fashion' - no matter how ugly it actually makes them look. Such nice smiles (frequently) are being ruined by these ludicrously unattractive (and mostly unnecessary) metal mouth monsters!

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

I had my braces when I was 33. I had big spaces between teeth due to being a tongue thrusters (that's using too much pressure on my teeth to speak d's & t's).  No problem with the orthodontics. I suggest you get a different dental opinion.

As with boobjobs, nosejobs, tattoos and cosmetic surgery generally here,  one of the main reasons these things are so popular are they indicate money. However aesthetically unattractive, having work done is appealing as it shows their peers they've been able to burn some serious cash on it.

I fully agree the braces don't look good at all. The saddest thing is when someone with a previously attractive smile has their healthy premolars extracted, in the hope of pushing the front teeth back a little, resulting in an ugly gap when they smile (partially covered of course by the brace). It looks a real mess, though maybe they think it's cute in the manner of a young child when they're first spouting adult teeth and have a few gaps etc. 

4 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Of course it is also a type of fashion here, but braces work on adults as well, just takes a bit more time.

The main reason that you see many adults with braces here: When they were kids the parent couldn't afford them, and when they start working they can pay for them

Braces here in Thailand cost less than an iPhone, and even the people in 7/11 can somehow afford an iPhone

Archived