‘Stubborness’ led officials to become suspicious of group of campers: Wichian

webfact

‘Stubborness’ led officials to become suspicious of group of campers: Wichian

By JAKRAWAN SALAYTOO 
THE NATION

8a13a0e846dac7592f41644df2acefd9.jpeg

Wichian

IT WAS the defiance and stubbornness shown by Italian-Thai Development president Premchai Karnasuta and his companions that aroused the suspicion of Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary’s officials, leading to the group’s high-profile arrest.

When the team first spotted the group camping in an off-limits area this past weekend, officials initially just offered some safety advice, briefed them about the rules and recommended that they immediately leave the area. 

“But group members kind of ignored our advice. They appeared defiant and also stubbornly insisted that they would not move, citing fears for their safety if they had to relocate during the night,” Wichian Shinwong, a senior official at the Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary, said yesterday. “That aroused our suspicions.” 

He said his team then started searching the area near the camp to determine if the group was hiding anything. 

“That’s when we discovered animal carcasses and guns,” said Wichian, who has since become nationally acclaimed for arresting such a high-profile suspect. 

After evidence revealed the group might have engaged in illegal activities, some of them appeared to attempt to offer bribes, he added. 

“Group members tried to negotiate. They tried to check if we would agree to take an offer,” Wichian said. He added that Premchai’s associates described him as the top executive of a leading firm. 

“We don’t care who he is. We only know that if he violates the laws, he will have to face legal actions,” Wichian said. He added that he did not want to take even a single baht from Premchai because he had his own personal dignity. 

Just as the scandal has heaped bad publicity on Premchai, it has portrayed Wichian as a hero. 

“Thank you for giving me recognition. But please don’t forget that this is the work of all 200 officials in the field,” he said, sharing credit with his team members. 

Asked whether Premchai’s case had caused him any problems, Wichian said he had not faced any threats. “I have also received moral support from the minister,” he said, without elaborating. 

Premchai’s group is the first to have openly entered the wildlife sanctuary, he added. 

“In other cases, it’s villagers sneaking in to fill their hungry stomachs. It’s not for pleasure,” Wichian said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30338355

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-09

27 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

I love this guy. Wichian for President! ....... U.S.A. president! 

All is never what it seems in Thailand.

This sounds so like a Thai film script (poor, upstanding clean-shaven civil servant vs fat, corrupt, evil, wealthy businessman) that it may well have been pre-scripted.

I gave up hunting a long time a go. I still struggle with the fact that I killed some partridges and ducks just for the sport. These MOFO's will never grow a conscience, nor realize that what they did is rob the whole planet of some endangered species. Still, a small speck inside me would like to go Ital-Thai hunting despite the fact I gave up my guns.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Just as the scandal has heaped bad publicity on Premchai, it has portrayed Wichian as a hero. 

Good for him, nice to see there are still some people with integrity in the world. Now, if we can only convince him to run for PM.

This man and his rangers deserve the highest praise.

Lamentably, all their efforts and dedication are going to be for nought as higher up the ladder officials with much less integrity than Wichian and his team eventually are going to let Premchai off the hook, practically scot-free, I fear.   

9 hours ago, Briggsy said:

All is never what it seems in Thailand.

This sounds so like a Thai film script (poor, upstanding clean-shaven civil servant vs fat, corrupt, evil, wealthy businessman) that it may well have been pre-scripted.

Really? Do you actually believe that the tycoon would agree to having himself charged by police as an illegal poacher? Really???

1 minute ago, HerbalEd said:

Really? Do you actually believe that the tycoon would agree to having himself charged by police as an illegal poacher? Really???

You have totally misunderstood. I am suggesting the poaching bust was simply the opportunity for someone powerful to put pressure on Premchai for reasons undisclosed. The fact that teams of police swung into action within 48 hours searching 6 properties around the country tells me a lot.

I notice that the press are juxtaposing stories about the huge rail network building contracts Ital - Thai holds with this story but not overtly linking the two stories.

On 2/9/2018 at 3:03 PM, Briggsy said:

You have totally misunderstood. I am suggesting the poaching bust was simply the opportunity for someone powerful to put pressure on Premchai for reasons undisclosed. The fact that teams of police swung into action within 48 hours searching 6 properties around the country tells me a lot.

I notice that the press are juxtaposing stories about the huge rail network building contracts Ital - Thai holds with this story but not overtly linking the two stories.

I agree. 

Someone wanted him off the board of directors of all those companies. 

This has got nothing to do with the cat. 

1 minute ago, greenchair said:

I agree. 

Someone wanted him off the board of directors of all those companies. 

This has got nothing to do with the cat. 

I disagree, the park warden is to be honoured for doing his job and protecting wildlife regardless of the

consequences.

The fat pig that is the 35th richest man in Thailand is a perfect target for those that toil and suffer under the weight of corruption and arrogance.  For the newspapers, he is the perfect subject, no lese majeste protecting him, a luxury watch wearing general with no uniform.  For the junta, better him than them, (from a rats viewpoint) if his candle isn t so bright the juntas will appear brighter.

The fat f#&* stepped in it and it's neck deep.  I hope he gets as long as the mushroom pickers got and he pleads not guilty.

So if I understand correctly, the fat guy walks into the park, and within hours he spots a big cat and even manages to shoot it.

That is of course possible, but what are the chances?

Unless... the cat was waiting for him, at a spot where it was being fed for some time.

Fat guy walked into a trap, and has no defence.

Maybe?

7 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

I disagree, the park warden is to be honoured for doing his job and protecting wildlife regardless of the

consequences.

The fat pig that is the 35th richest man in Thailand is a perfect target for those that toil and suffer under the weight of corruption and arrogance.  For the newspapers, he is the perfect subject, no lese majeste protecting him, a luxury watch wearing general with no uniform.  For the junta, better him than them, (from a rats viewpoint) if his candle isn t so bright the juntas will appear brighter.

The fat f#&* stepped in it and it's neck deep.  I hope he gets as long as the mushroom pickers got and he pleads not guilty.

I agree with most of what you said. 

However, the warden is not as pure as the driven snow when he comments that the poor villagers sneak into the park because they are hungry. 

So basically, he knows full well that other people are hunting in the park and he does nothing about it. 

On 2/9/2018 at 4:24 AM, webfact said:

“In other cases, it’s villagers sneaking in to fill their hungry stomachs. It’s not for pleasure,” Wichian said. 

Completely incorrect. Living around such villagers they clearly hunt for pleasure. Just because they eat what they kill doesn't change this. The villagers know it is wrong, but they sneak in just like he says and hunt every innocent animal they can. The villagers aren't starving. It's just a pleasureful activity to them. They also enjoy burning down the forests and stealing every flower and everything else they can get their hands on. I hope his words do not mean he or anyone else protecting the forests is granting villagers any special leniency or a free pass to slaughter animals in the forest.

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

I agree with most of what you said. 

However, the warden is not as pure as the driven snow when he comments that the poor villagers sneak into the park because they are hungry. 

So basically, he knows full well that other people are hunting in the park and he does nothing about it. 

Pure as the driven snow is an analogy perhaps best not suited for Thailand, perhaps shades of saffron is better. 

If the fat rich guy was targeted over a villager I have no problem with that. I have seen dead bird at the market on the Cambodian border that definitely should have been left in the forest but I don't believe there are many villagers having   jaguar tail soup for dinner.

Don't kid yourself. In cases you might reach for a camera of a wonderful creature villagers will not hesitate to reach for their gun. The villagers will kill and eat every single animal until there is nothing left. Endangered species status and national forest borders are not a big deal to them. It is terrific they busted this horrible guy and his accomplices. But it is appalling to learn they may hold a double standard when it comes to the poor doing the poaching. The forests should be protected from everyone, period. It's nonsense to insinuate that because someone is hungry (or any other excuse) that stealing from the forest is now somehow tolerated or any less of a crime.

So villagers killing endangered species and liking it...

Warden let them do and is then somehow accomplice...

Big guy come and boom magically managed to get a kill on panther on first day...

And boom, warden appears and find the dead cat.

Warden don't let the big guy go tho, he is suspicious...

Warden will not take the big bride from multi millionaire, cos you know, this private area for poor villagers...

And boom, big contract to be signed this year...

Obviously one would say they are all guilty but could it just be coincidences?

Random turn of events :whistling:

Archived