Coal-fired power plants ‘partly to blame for Bangkok pollution’

webfact

I have yet to believe a lot of the stuff, green peace talks about.  The fact that Bangkok has a huge population

and people cook with charcoal, yet, as well as all the vehicles that run on deisel, and not gas or LPG, or CNG,

the big trucks with no pollution equipment, the ships etc, there is many reasons for pollution. But there is Green Peace blaming a coal fired powerstation. Yeh that will be the day when I believe green peace

fake news.

Geezer

3 hours ago, LALes said:

The wind blows FROM the SW from March to September and the air is much, much cleaner.

I don't know where this Greenpeace guy is coming from.  I never heard anyone use the coal

excuse before and the wind rarely blows from the Rayong/Maptaput area up towards BKK.

That would be a NW wind-something I've never seen here.  Get a grip, dude.

Actually, that would be a SE wind.  Never seen one here.

Glad to see the Trump/fake news crowd chiming in.  Greenpeace does great work.  OK, they got one wrong.  I can live with that.

I am no expert but would have thought the main problem lies outside Thailand boarders, as is the case now  when the North East wind is blowing it is carrying all that pollution from China straight into Thailand.

http://aqicn.org/map/thailand/chonburi/health-promotion-hospital-ban-khao-hin/#@g/17.6355/110.061/5z

Polution.jpg

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I have yet to believe a lot of the stuff, green peace talks about.  The fact that Bangkok has a huge population

and people cook with charcoal, yet, as well as all the vehicles that run on deisel, and not gas or LPG, or CNG,

the big trucks with no pollution equipment, the ships etc, there is many reasons for pollution. But there is Green Peace blaming a coal fired powerstation. Yeh that will be the day when I believe green peace

fake news.

Geezer

i agree the factories are not contributing to the issue at all they should just be left alone to burn more coal. Why should they stop when there are buses and trucks spewing out black smoke. vendors cooking via charcoal.. til you get fix the problem with the buses, trucks and vendors dont you dare blame the factories!

12 hours ago, RPCVguy said:

Wind direction, regional interactive data is available in near real time via a graphical database updated using GEOS-5 satellite data. 
Current wind direction is from the south.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#2018/02/09/0300Z/particulates/surface/level/overlay=pm2.5/orthographic=-264.78,16.03,1823/loc=100.496,13.7035a7d26006ce56_ParticulatesSEAsia.jpg.a3142e2074c06c05972752af7970cae5.jpg

NOTE: Clicking on the word "earth" in the bottom left  opens a menu with access to the full range of dates and data streams in the INTERACTIVE MAP.
Zooming in or out and clicking a location will provide the data for that location (GPS Coordinates)
Forecast data (If available) is also accessible from the time option on the menu.

16 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I am no expert but would have thought the main problem lies outside Thailand boarders, as is the case now  when the North East wind is blowing it is carrying all that pollution from China straight into Thailand.

http://aqicn.org/map/thailand/chonburi/health-promotion-hospital-ban-khao-hin/#@g/17.6355/110.061/5z

Polution.jpg

Ummm, but why only in to Bangkok...what about all the places along the way , have they got "anti pollution fences ?"

On 2/9/2018 at 8:46 AM, aussie11950 said:

I hope someone take legal action against the government for the position produced. 

If that happened they might be lucky and taken in for some " attitude adjustment " or more likely suddenly dissapear as tends to happen.

Rimmer is right...

China pollution all the way down to this part of the world...

The combination of inversion and recent NW winds traps the stagnant air at lower levels.

The Cities show higher than country areas due to the mere particulant concentration mixed with local (BKK) pollution.

As an Airline pilot flying China and Thailand I see it first hand from 35000ft. The smog layer is 8000 and below with trapped cooler NW air.

I hate to say it but there may be a grim future for air quality long term unless China solves their pollution problems.

Greeting from Ban Makluea, Nakhon Sawan. The sugar factory is the best example for Acoustic rubbish: sometimes sounds like next to an airport, 24/24.

Real rubbish: the trucks that deliver the plants losing a lot of them on the way. Pollution rubbish: 24/24 they blowing a very bad smell and dirty cloud.

IMG_4138.JPG.0a3837e0993a89abb8d5f15e887db3a2.JPGIMG_4137.JPG.ea9c245f4383bdc4f9abbdce7148a13a.JPGIMG_4136.JPG.61e3fadda865bdfb04f6961c535aa6ce.JPGIMG_4135.JPG.8e4672e999d9c73f07e914d92004ea38.JPG

On 09/02/2018 at 8:04 AM, Rimmer said:

Polution.jpg

Google windyty and it gives you a good idea of wind patterns around the area.

Archived