US ‘encouraged by Thailand’s return to democracy’ as elections delayed

webfact

By WASAMON AUDJARINT 
THE NATION

602d5354c10d0fa6da9c31f73b1454dd.jpeg

US Ambassador Glyn Davies

THE US remains encouraged by the Thai junta government’s commitment to return the country to democracy amid shifting factors that make it very possible, even quite likely, that the election will be further postponed.

A commitment to ongoing mutual democratic values will also continue to cement the relationship of “great and good friends” and will soon see its bicentennial anniversary later this year.

Or at least that’s the way that the US Ambassador is talking this week.

“American policy remains much as it has been. We believe that democracy is the great way to keep working together,” said US Ambassador Glyn Davies yesterday.

“[Between] old and new administrations there will be a different emphasis put on issues,” Davies said, “but I think for the most part, our relationship and priority will be balanced on strategic interests … and on our principles that will continue under any administration.”

Davies spoke during a press conference concerning the “Great and Good Friends” exhibition of friendship to be held from March 21 to June 30 at the Queen Sirikit Museum of Textiles to celebrate the 200th anniversary of bilateral relations.

Trump also chose to not give public prominence to democracy during PM General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s visit to the White House last October. Instead, the US leader emphasised a range of issues regarding trade deals and US exports to the Kingdom, which enjoys a trade surplus.

However, the US Embassy in Bangkok expressed an expectation for “Thailand’s return to a democratic government via free and fair elections as soon as possible” not long after the junta-appointed legislators voted to delay promulgation of the MP election bill draft.

General Joe Dunford, the US chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, also said that he was “very encouraged” about the country’s return to democracy following his meetings with Prayut and Deputy PM and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan on Wednesday.

“This would allow us to deepen our relationship in the years ahead,” Dunford was quoted as saying by Department of Defence-based reporter Jim Garamone.

Dunford has been on tour to strengthen military ties with Asia-Pacific countries amid the looming situation in the |Korean peninsula. The topic was also touched upon during a meeting with Thai leaders.

Dunford also spoke of deepening exercises and expanding educational opportunities in the future. Around 6,800 American service members will take part in Thailand-based Cobra Gold joint military exercise to begin next Tuesday.

Prayut, meanwhile, said yesterday that Dunford did not express concerns about Thailand’s democratic development and merely gave encouragement.

“I insisted that we would move forward to democracy. The US also understands our necessity,” Prayut said. “I also told the US that Thailand has its own problems. We’ll have to have measures to ensure the country becomes firmly democratic in the timelines,” he continued. “That could be designated by either me or by laws.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30338353

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-09

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone see anything wrong with this headline

I have read it and read it ......................... 10 words 

I did not read the article that followed because that is likely just as confusing

28 minutes ago, smedly said:

anyone see anything wrong with this headline

I have read it and read it ......................... 10 words 

I did not read the article that followed because that is likely just as confusing

Even more so, this is a spin that doesn't!

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

“American policy remains much as it has been. We believe that democracy is the great way to keep working together,” said US Ambassador Glyn Davies yesterday.   :cheesy:

go blow your trumpet somewhere else .....    !!

Careful, you'll have people believing you're a Junta supporter

While the new constitution essentially ends all possibility of democracy., the junta could take note on how Uncle Sam handles spin. They have, after all, convinced over 300 million people that even with a second rate education system, third world health stats, having the Ruskies choose their president, ranking behind most of Europe on personal freedom and borrowing money from Chine to protect the world from....China, they are part of the greatest show on earth

All very diplomatic and non substantive.  There is nothing encouraging about military appointed MP's.  They should have just said we hope to see Thailand return to a representative government sometime in the future. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“That could be designated by either me or by laws.”

"me" says it all.

20 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Read what Dunford said and you can see that it is all about having friendly countries in Asia so USA can have military bases in their countries and be close to N.Korea

I think you'll find it's not N.Korea they're worried about. It's China.

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There would have been quite a fuss had they been 'put off' for 4-5 years though.

With gerrymandering Congressional seats are really not contested in many districts.  When Congress has a 35% approval rating and yet more than 90 % can win reelection.. Something is wrong with the fake election 

This isn't rocket science,  Thailand isn't a democracy in the true sense of the word whatever that means? 

Anyone living here can see and read the articles the fix is on!  Election November right?  Whenever it happens the result will be the same puppet man will still end up on top! 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“American policy remains much as it has been. We believe that democracy is the great way to keep working together,” said US Ambassador Glyn Davies yesterday.

“[Between] old and new administrations there will be a different emphasis put on issues,” Davies said, “but I think for the most part, our relationship and priority will be balanced on strategic interests … and on our principles that will continue under any administration.”

guess that one of the requirements of being an ambassador is that you say a lot of generalized words and say absolutely Nothing of substance

Thailand is playing US like a bargirl who promises to pay you back a loan "next week".

"A commitment to ongoing mutual democratic values..." I could imagine ambassador saying "Thailand and US are moving closer together in implementing our vision of democracy"... except US is doing all the moving.  Overall, I'd say Thailand is just what Trump group wishes US was like

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

Read what Dunford said and you can see that it is all about having friendly countries in Asia so USA can have military bases in their countries and be close to N.Korea

I don't think the USA knows what it wants.  But this ambassador sure blew a lot of sunshine.  He seems to assert that the Thais are committed to democracy.  The saying "same same but different " comes to mind.  Define committed.  Define democracy as understood by westerners or as Thais.

1 hour ago, grumbleweed said:

Careful, you'll have people believing you're a Junta supporter

While the new constitution essentially ends all possibility of democracy., the junta could take note on how Uncle Sam handles spin. They have, after all, convinced over 300 million people that even with a second rate education system, third world health stats, having the Ruskies choose their president, ranking behind most of Europe on personal freedom and borrowing money from Chine to protect the world from....China, they are part of the greatest show on earth

Actually the US government hasn't convinced 300 million people they are part of the greatest show on earth because the  U.S. actually  is the greatest show on earth despite its many weaknesses which includes the current government in power. One hopes that future elections will produce leaders that right the wrongs as former elections have done over the past 2.5 centuries.

Archived