US ‘encouraged by Thailand’s return to democracy’ as elections delayed

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

We’ll have to have measures to ensure the country becomes firmly democratic in the timelines,” he continued. “That could be designated by either me or by laws.”

... or by the laws of my appointed legislature.

Not by the sovereign power of the people as mandated by the constitution.

A very honest statement but hardly prerequisites for a firm democracy.

Trump would be envious.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Read what Dunford said and you can see that it is all about having friendly countries in Asia so USA can have military bases in their countries and be close to N.Korea

EXACTLY---------- I picked that up straight away -------- we're not all naive !!!!!!!!

For the umpteenth time ...

1/ You cannot return to something that was never there, or to a place where you've never been before.

2/ Democracy and elections are two completely different things. Democracy is a set of principles, a concept, while elections are a mere technicality. When elections occur in a context that is all but democratic, they're not only useless, but actually perverse because they serve as a cover up for the lack of democracy.

3/ 'common democratic values' ... LOL... a lot of people in Thailand and in the US do have democratic values, but the US as a country (and they do have that in common with Thailand) does not run on democratic values at all. One may well ask if it ever did, as a matter of fact. The Founding Fathers had no trust whatsoever in 'the people', what they wanted was a country where the 'masses' were under tight control (OK, with a pinch of Christian compassion) of the ruling elite, ie themselves and their peers. In effect that country is still run by an oligarchy of self-appointed, non elected, so called 'elite' (read : rich folks) who have total control - by way of financing - of the two political parties. It is worth noting, incidentally, that these parties are BOTH on the right hand side of the political spectrum which in itself proves the fact that there is NO democracy in the US, unless you spell it demockracy.

What happen to good old USA that I use to look up to as world leader seeking to to advance human rights and fundamental freedom around the world. When face with a country that was robbed of an elected government and all forms of freedom violated, they become a pussy making sweet nothing remarks. Shameful and losing respect everywhere. 

2 hours ago, tonray said:

Don't call people names it shows ignorance when you cannot have a rational discussion and resort to parroting Hannity and Limbaugh.  Have a good day 

Yes, Ive noticed this US tendency of school playground name calling before. Is it an indicator of the cultural and psychological maturity of the USA as a whole? We should not forget that the country and its culture is only 250 or so years old.......Quite scary really when we consider the power it weilds.

Well, I wonder what the ambassador thinks after this morning's news that the two laws being waited on are now in danger of rejection? According to what I read this morning, the CDC and EC don't agree with the NLA's adjustments and it could go to the constitutional courts. The delay could be up to 2 years and apparently, in the worse case scenario, elections could be delayed indefinitely. Well, well well....who'd have thought it eh? Just about equates with what forum members have said previously.

So much for democracy, your Government is dysfunctional and about to shutdown, and your military and public servants won't be getting paid when that happens.  And your President says he "would love" to see a shutdown!  Even with a Thai-style democracy which is not democracy at all but a patronage system where people pay homage to the elite and powerful, public servants still get paid.

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Read what Dunford said and you can see that it is all about having friendly countries in Asia so USA can have military bases in their countries and be close to N.Korea

Exactly. USA is putting the Thai people last, just as the Junta have, for fear that China will become too friendly.

Archived