BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

US ‘encouraged by Thailand’s return to democracy’ as elections delayed

3 hours ago, webfact said:

… and on our principles that will continue under any administration.”

Shouldn't it read: even under any unlawful and anti democratic administration, as long as it serves our interest?

11 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Shouldn't it read: even under any unlawful and anti democratic administration, as long as it serves our interest?

I wouldn t call Trumps administration  " unlawful " but it certainly is anti democratic

1 minute ago, isaanbanhou said:

I wouldn t call Trumps administration  " unlawful " but it certainly is anti democratic

My post was not about Trump's administration.

The major problem in Asia is China. They can only work with dictators.

Best example now is Maldives. The parliament is run by Chinese influenced proxies, while all the opposition leaders are either in jail or exiled.

China is working hard to keep their grip on all the small countries.

Thailand is playing US like a bargirl who promises to pay you back a loan "next week".

"A commitment to ongoing mutual democratic values..." I could imagine ambassador saying "Thailand and US are moving closer together in implementing our vision of democracy"... except US is doing all the moving.  Overall, I'd say Thailand is just what Trump group wishes US was like

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

There would have been quite a fuss had they been 'put off' for 4-5 years though.

But this exactly where it’s heading. 

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

Read what Dunford said and you can see that it is all about having friendly countries in Asia so USA can have military bases in their countries and be close to N.Korea

I don't think the USA knows what it wants.  But this ambassador sure blew a lot of sunshine.  He seems to assert that the Thais are committed to democracy.  The saying "same same but different " comes to mind.  Define committed.  Define democracy as understood by westerners or as Thais.

What he meant to say was: "As long as we have access to Thai bases and airstrips to refuel and maintain our military aircraft, we don't really give a turd what government is in control, thank you very much" Last bit using an Elvis accent!

It’s amusing when the word, “democratic value” popped up.

1 hour ago, grumbleweed said:

Careful, you'll have people believing you're a Junta supporter

While the new constitution essentially ends all possibility of democracy., the junta could take note on how Uncle Sam handles spin. They have, after all, convinced over 300 million people that even with a second rate education system, third world health stats, having the Ruskies choose their president, ranking behind most of Europe on personal freedom and borrowing money from Chine to protect the world from....China, they are part of the greatest show on earth

Actually the US government hasn't convinced 300 million people they are part of the greatest show on earth because the  U.S. actually  is the greatest show on earth despite its many weaknesses which includes the current government in power. One hopes that future elections will produce leaders that right the wrongs as former elections have done over the past 2.5 centuries.