BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

US ‘encouraged by Thailand’s return to democracy’ as elections delayed

I hope someone in control doesn't start saying: "God Bless Thailand". Then they would have to make a song too. 

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Even more so, this is a spin that doesn't!

Eden   Snake and Apple spring to mind.

4 hours ago, tonray said:

If you look at what elections have brought the USA, perhaps a delay is not such a bad idea

I guess that depends on your perspective.

Not sure there are many countries left with "true democracy" certainly not the US.

What the hell has it got to do with them anyway ?

24 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I hope someone in control doesn't start saying: "God Bless Thailand". Then they would have to make a song too. 

no ...  he'll start saying ... ' May Buddha bless Thailand '   .. :shock1:

Well, I wonder what the ambassador thinks after this morning's news that the two laws being waited on are now in danger of rejection? According to what I read this morning, the CDC and EC don't agree with the NLA's adjustments and it could go to the constitutional courts. The delay could be up to 2 years and apparently, in the worse case scenario, elections could be delayed indefinitely. Well, well well....who'd have thought it eh? Just about equates with what forum members have said previously.

Wasn't this the same Ambassador who was nearly drummed out of the country for having 'negative' comments a few years back at a commencement speech?  Talk about being cowed.  I guess everyone needs a job. 

Several off-topic troll posts have been removed from this thread.

5 hours ago, tonray said:

If you look at what elections have brought the USA, perhaps a delay is not such a bad idea

If you mean the democratic election of a govt by the people, can't see anything wrong with that. 

So much for democracy, your Government is dysfunctional and about to shutdown, and your military and public servants won't be getting paid when that happens.  And your President says he "would love" to see a shutdown!  Even with a Thai-style democracy which is not democracy at all but a patronage system where people pay homage to the elite and powerful, public servants still get paid.

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Read what Dunford said and you can see that it is all about having friendly countries in Asia so USA can have military bases in their countries and be close to N.Korea

Exactly. USA is putting the Thai people last, just as the Junta have, for fear that China will become too friendly.