US ‘encouraged by Thailand’s return to democracy’ as elections delayed

webfact

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

Plenty would have changed. Whilst the army is not free of corruption there is good progress being made in transition from developing country to eventual first world.

Why put in the same democratically elected thieves who have done nothing except steal leaving thailand stagnant in a 3rd world bubble?

Prayut was right when he said we need thai style democracy. IMO that would be a triangle consisting of communism, dictatorship and democracy
Somewhere in the middle is the answer.

Sorry can't agree, things must change the ruling elites are thieves and liars supported by a corrupt system of army, police, judges and public officials. Sakdina has to end. It's a big issue for sure, change is desperately needed. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You represent all Thais when you say Thais don’t understand democracy. Then explained why voter turnout since 1990s are more than 60% and comparable and even exceed the largest democracy in the world namely India and Japan. They understand the people mandate to elect their own government; something you still grasping to understand. 
It's not the turn up that the is problem. That's the easy part, it's the acceptance of losing face because your team lost.

I don't want to go through the dark days of bangkok burning ever again nor do the Thais and that sir is what you fail to grasp

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

It's not the turn up that the is problem. That's the easy part, it's the acceptance of losing face because your team lost.

I don't want to go through the dark days of bangkok burning ever again nor do the Thais and that sir is what you fail to grasp

Turnout of voters are the manifestation of people expressing their choice. It is what democracy is all about. People freedom to chose and to express their desire for who they see are the best leaders to represent them. If you can’t understand that basic concept, it is no use to debate with you on democracy. 

You only remember those burning dark days. Rather selected and apparently failure to understand the history of politics in Thailand. Think back 1976, 1992 and occupation of the airport and government house. Did the coups solved any of the problems. 

2 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

that's the sound of 60 million thais saying NOTHING.

That may be out of frustration that no one seems to be able to help them and they have little or no voice in how THEIR country is being governed. :coffee1:

"saying nothing" does NOT indicate agreement!! How presumptuous of you!

3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

What my ancestors did has nothing to do with it. How presumptuous of you.

Stop and listen..that's the sound of 60 million thais saying NOTHING.

Some of the western educated guys here are just to dense to get it.

Even on this forum can't speak out our feelings freely and you have the courage to tell that 60 millions of Thais say NOTHING? How a Thai can show dissent even when they ask they ask for the same elections as Mr. P. promised they are charged with sedition?

I have my idea about why you and the other 3 in this forum come up with disgusting posts like this, but I keep it for myself as I don't want to be banned.

That may be out of frustration that no one seems to be able to help them and they have little or no voice in how THEIR country is being governed. :coffee1:

"saying nothing" does NOT indicate agreement!! How presumptuous of you!
Let me educate you. Modern history has shown that oppressive regimes have been over thrown with millions bravely taking on tanks and bullets with great loss of life.

So there are only 3 options here.

1. Thais are cowards
2.. Ther is no "oppressive" regime. In fact it's so benign there is nothing to fight over
3. TV farang are just to stupid to get it

I think you know the answer and yes I'm being 100% presumptuous [emoji4]

56 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Modern history has shown that oppressive regimes have been over thrown with millions bravely taking on tanks and bullets with great loss of life.

It is different in Thailand. Here oppressive regimes over throw elected government with great loss of civilian life whenever they feel that their position on top of the food chain is threatened. 

This coup is different as your beloved leader has di...toral ambition and have reneged on promises of election many time & stayed longer than previous coups. Maybe need that millions and great loss of life to rid this D. Happen before and can happen again. 

It is different in Thailand. Here oppressive regimes over throw elected government with great loss of civilian life whenever they feel that their position on top of the food chain is threatened. 

This coup is different as your beloved leader has di...toral ambition and have reneged on promises of election many time & stayed longer than previous coups. Maybe need that millions and great loss of life to rid this D. Happen before and can happen again. 
Won't happen. The regime is not brutal or oppressive. Here we all are talking freely on the nation newspaper website!!!

Now if you're going to lay down your life there has to be a REASON stronger than just getting in trouble on Facebook.

The silence of a whole nation is deafening. Smart people at peace and enjoying life.

I feel sad for the handful of TV farang who in their warped minds believe they are on a crusade on behalf of the people because the Thais are to weak.

Are you guys in Thailand or lala land?

I am deeply surprised. Noooot !

Who cares about democratic values and human rights in other countries, when the money keeps coming (via various business and military deals) ? Yes, sadly, this is the attitude of the US and most of the other Western countries. 

Well, they have become experts in 'expressing concern' every now and then.

On 2/9/2018 at 7:07 PM, xyznot said:

The electoral college system has worked in the USA since its inception and is a good system that would prevent many abuses of power that take place in many countries.  Thailand would be well served to have an identical system and scheduled elections the same as the USA. 

Sure . . . and if Gore had become president, America would still have invaded Iraq (lol).  

16 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

I feel sad for the handful of TV farang who in their warped minds believe they are on a crusade on behalf of the people because the Thais are to weak.

Who said 'the Thais are to [sic] weak'? 

Who may have a 'warped mind' - look in the mirror and see. :whistling:

To many TV posters this is all about the current regime's continuous 'hollow promises' (since 2014) to its peoples about DEMOCRACY. Nothing to do with Thais being weak. Stop trying to highjack the conversation!

Think back 1976, 1992 and occupation of the airport and government house. Did the coups solved any of the problems. 

After 4 years and counting, the current coup seems to have solved the problem of disorderly conduct -- to mention just one success.

Then explained why voter turnout since 1990s are more than 60%

I think the answer was 5 red baht -- or was that 6?

Who said 'the Thais are to [sic] weak'? 

Who may have a 'warped mind' - look in the mirror and see. :whistling:

To many TV posters this is all about the current regime's continuous 'hollow promises' (since 2014) to its peoples about DEMOCRACY. Nothing to do with Thais being weak. Stop trying to highjack the conversation!

You got it wrong. They are not weak. They are content and big deal about broken promises, it's a part of politics. No need for a revolution as many farang are pushing for.

Leave them into power another 10 years, good stuff happening. They are delaying because the thai people are NOT protesting except the 200 idiots who completey screwed up. Imbiciles who couldn't plan even 5 minutes into the future and handed an extension to the the pm on a gold platter!!!

6 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

You got it wrong. They are not weak. They are content and big deal about broken promises, it's a part of politics. No need for a revolution as many farang are pushing for.

Leave them into power another 10 years, good stuff happening. They are delaying because the thai people are NOT protesting except the 200 idiots who completey screwed up. Imbiciles who couldn't plan even 5 minutes into the future and handed an extension to the the pm on a gold platter!!!

OMG. This was your statement:

"I feel sad for the handful of TV farang who in their warped minds believe they are on a crusade on behalf of the people because the Thais are to weak."

And I asked "who said they are weak?". I never said/claimed they are weak and I have not read of any other democracy supporters saying so either!

You are very specious in your arguments/replies. I can only conclude that your blind belief that the Junta is good, means you do not support the rights of citizens to rule their own country by vote.

Sure the "Government" has seemingly done some good (the only one I can think of was to stop the bloody street rioting),  anything else was merely a sop to the citizens so the current elitist/military rulers could justify their continual hold on power and the monetary benefits that come with it for their 'friends/cronies'! And big on 'promises' (we will have elections in 2015 and we will reduce the road trauma, ad infinitum ad nauseam).

There are none so blind as those who will not see. John Heywood.

BTW, is your real name John Heywood?  :coffee1:

Archived